• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Congrats to all the FY12 DH selectees!!

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
OP-T isn't scam city, sure there's VT/FRS but there's also the non-flying TACRON, followed by staff, followed by ??? I.e., you're chances of flying past 12-13 years become small. But on the other hand, some guys (myself included) "OPT-OUT" to keep flying, and accept career suicide to stay in the plane. Though the future there could be bleak too, it definitely opens 'other doors' when you're off the track. But I was a non-bonus guy so the decision was easier to make.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm basing it on what some very smart O-6s are saying :)

I don't put too much stock in that these days. Everyone prognosticates based on their individual experiences and even at the O6 level, they rarely have the big picture SA to really know what big Navy is going to do. So, even though I'm no more informed than they are, I tend to think that radical change is much less likely. As with all things, time will tell. :)

Brett

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Even before there was a DH board, there was a screening process for DH slots. But now with the board the Navy actually looks at who is going to the VT/HT, the RAG and the fleet squadrons.
It allows the Navy to have a screen board prior to ACSB.
IMO regardless of the number of folks who eligible for a DH position, the DHSB allows the Navy to start thinning the herd and controlling who's getting a DH slot.
Even for the OP-T slots, the Navy wants to have some oversight to who's getting the positions rather than leaving up to the detailers to fill on their own or use the RAG as a stash location for community guys who have a year to kill before going off to their fleet DH tour.
So regardless of the numbers to pick from, the board allows the Navy more control of careers and now with the bonus, it gives Big Navy a chance to stop paying folks sooner.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I tend to think that radical change is much less likely.

I don't see it as that radical. Existence of DH screen board has been cyclic over the past 15-18 years. Many dudes who finished DH tours about three years ago didn't have, nor did many commanders and major commanders.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
OP-T isn't scam city, sure there's VT/FRS but there's also the non-flying TACRON, followed by staff, followed by ??? I.e., you're chances of flying past 12-13 years become small. But on the other hand, some guys (myself included) "OPT-OUT" to keep flying, and accept career suicide to stay in the plane. Though the future there could be bleak too, it definitely opens 'other doors' when you're off the track. But I was a non-bonus guy so the decision was easier to make.

What are some of these options? I took the bonus and have not opted out but I went to a second shore tour after my first JO shore tour (long story, no nefarious circumstances, just dumb luck), which is pretty much career suicide - probably even more so than opting out. I'm curious to know what kind of flying doors are opened up...

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Slate not out yet... some guys will naturally have already been told. I know where I'm going because the detailer paid us a visit here in Mugu last week. I predict the lessons learned will be the same as they've been for the past 5 years. A #1/#2 from your JO tour with strong writeup, RAG/WTI/TRACOM/Test with a top nod, then SuperJO/Flag-CAG-CSG-CDG-CVN-Staff. IA/GSA's have proven not to play for an otherwise broken record. Masters and JPME-Complete have shown not to play but don't hurt. Going to war college after your disassociated if you've got time doesn't hurt, but other guys are taking a short-fill sumthin that gets them a fitrep that might play.

Obligatory Caveat: this is not the same for all communities, but the tank is the tank. The Board is made up of reps from the whole fleet and you're not gonna find too many huge discrepencies in "what works".

MasterBates

Well, I know where the detailer is headed.

Sadly it will be too late to go "This is your 2P speaking.. When you find me flying orders, I'll remember what those rudder things do"..

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Looks like the Lessons Learned are over a month late. They are usually out Mid July. Has anyone heard anything?

MasterBates

Yes, it was. I have not seen the official BUPERS stats yet, but the detailer said it was "ugly".

I've got verbal separation orders in hand at the moment. Looks like November 8th is my last day.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
[blah blah]...- what you have now are just enough people left opting in to fill the billets...[blah blah]

You couldn't be further from wrong regarding a "growth" community, which means anything that you don't need an LSO for.

You need to hang out with more than pointy-nosed O-6s.