• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Congrats to all the FY12 DH selectees!!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OP-T sounds like scam city. "Oh, you mean I DON'T have to go back to an operational squadron, and I get to keep my fatcat bonus. Shucks."

Although I agree with you, I think the kick in the junk comes time when they try to put on O-5. The OP-T CDR rate has been very low as of late. So when they are trying for the 20 year stretch and can't make O-5 the retirement is a bit less.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A. I don't think ...

Well ok ... :icon_smil:icon_smil:icon_smil Sorry pet peeve of mine re choice of words.

What I meant or was told, was for FY12 screen for FY13 (if it happens) a lot of folks that would have been in zone were pushed to FY-13 for FY-14 screen. Again, what I was told, ... it rang true, .... deja vu all over again, ... as went thru the short term "fix personnel" steps of the 70's that did not consider the long term consequences. Look into it, be aware .......

I have no dog in the fight other than global perspective, interest.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I was saying that in the HSC community 13 did not make it last year for their first look.

The nature of a selection board is that some will not select - it sucks, but thats the way the game is currently played. 13 dudes out of what population? I suspect HSC has a lot of eligible dudes up for each year's board. Are you saying all but 13 selected? Those are probably pretty good odds right?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure what your second sentence was supposed to say. At any rate - I maintain there will not be a ADHSB next year - whether or not that will be the case for every community - I don't know. Not even sure if they can have DHSBs for some but not all.

Not sure how you're arriving at this conclusion. We'll have to see what the stats are when they put out their LL Powerpoint, but I suspect that the overall screen rates will continue to be somewhere south of 50%. If that holds, I don't see how you could conclude that a board won't be necessary. If you're predicting a mass exodus, what are you basing that on?

Brett

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm interested in the lessons learned from this year's board when it comes out, though I think next year's results will be even more interesting with the lower bonuses for most plus that whole "fixing the glitch" thing where it seems you won't get full payments until actually selected.

At this point in my career, however, it's all mental masturbation, since I am no where close to hingehood yet.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
What I meant or was told, was for FY12 screen for FY13 (if it happens) a lot of folks that would have been in zone were pushed to FY-13 for FY-14 screen.

Now I understand what you were writing. It is definetly something that could be happening although I don't know where the cost savings comes from.

The nature of a selection board is that some will not select - it sucks, but thats the way the game is currently played. 13 dudes out of what population? I suspect HSC has a lot of eligible dudes up for each year's board. Are you saying all but 13 selected? Those are probably pretty good odds right?

Talking only HSC and OP not OP-T here are the real quick numbers. Last year 62 were inzone and 3 Opt-Out. Of those 62 eligible 49 were selected which equaled a 70% rate. Now this year there were 85 inzone but I don't know how many Opt-Out. I got the 85 number from using the senior in zone and those in the HSC community that selected for O-4. I did not look at above zone. Out of those 85 only 42 selected this year (50% rate). That is a big reduction in selection. I as look at the list I know of 20 that did not make it. Start adding all the people I don't know and this years non-select least will at least be doubled last years list.

Note to all while I do have last years numbers from the lessons learned slide I cannot be certain how accurate this years numbers are, guess we have to wait to see the lessons learned brief when it comes out hopefully next month.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I know the QIO list is not made public but can folks that are affected, that is, potentially on the list find out?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor

Qualified, Insufficient Opportunity.

I understand it is sort of a supernumary list of folks that were deemed qualified for DH by the board but their rank order exceeded the DH seat opportunity. If a folk should, for what ever reason, fall off the select list, MN would reach out and take from that list to fill the vacated seat.

((MN = Mother Navy))

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even looking at last year's list, I still think there's going to be a screen board for awhile, even if more and more people get disgruntled. I don't think we're at the level of the SWOs quite yet, who can be a DH if they're breathing, and whose shore duty selections depend on, "so you want this good shore duty assignment, yeah you're going to have to agree to be a DH to do that, otherwise have fun on your IA."

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the QIO folks are placed as alternates when a primary cannot fulfill his/her slot. That "list" is apparently never released. I have heard of them using alternates for aviation command, but don't know if it applies to department heads.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I think the QIO folks are placed as alternates when a primary cannot fulfill his/her slot. That "list" is apparently never released. I have heard of them using alternates for aviation command, but don't know if it applies to department heads.

At least two were picked up last year for DH... that was at least partially because of the flooding in Millington and some opt-out letters apparently being missed.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Although I agree with you, I think the kick in the junk comes time when they try to put on O-5. The OP-T CDR rate has been very low as of late. So when they are trying for the 20 year stretch and can't make O-5 the retirement is a bit less.

Depends on your perspective too. My understanding (in part from reading threads on this board), is that a training command billet is a bit easier of a billet than an operational or FRS squadron. Also, if you don't care about making O-5 and want to be a flying Terminal O-4, or a non-command-screen O-5 and out.... then the above doesn't apply, correct?