• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conduct of RI flights

Malice 1

pilot
I can't find any noteworthy text or gouge on this. I'm about to start the I410x block, and the only guidance for these flights is the briefing card and MPTS brief items.

Anyone got hints/tips/tricks?

Malice 1

pilot
Next question:
Regarding the Jet log planning for the I24xx and I25xx block of sims, why did they only supply half-assed information on the Route of flight sheet? There is only one wind value listed. Is that for climbout, enroute, or both? What airspeed are we supposed to file for enroute? Are we still putting along at 150kts?

Are we using actual fuel flow for our calculations?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I can't find any noteworthy text or gouge on this. I'm about to start the I410x block, and the only guidance for these flights is the briefing card and MPTS brief items.

Anyone got hints/tips/tricks?

Remember the sims? Yeah...quite a bit like that. ;)

As for the planning values, down here in Meh-hico norte they provide a sim planning sheet for our use with fuel flow, climb and cruise speeds etc...we also plan no wind. This sheet is given out by the Lockheed Martin instructors and is clearly sanctioned. Whether something like that exists in Eastern Alabama I have no idea....IP's??

Malice 1

pilot
Remember the sims? Yeah...quite a bit like that. ;)

As for the planning values, down here in Meh-hico norte they provide a sim planning sheet for our use with fuel flow, climb and cruise speeds etc...we also plan no wind. This sheet is given out by the Lockheed Martin instructors and is clearly sanctioned. Whether something like that exists in Eastern Alabama I have no idea....IP's??

I have that sheet you're describing. It does not have fuel flow data or speeds on it. It does however, have wind. I'm a week away from planning the next block of sims, so I guess I won't worry about it right now, unless someone from NSE has some insight.

As for the actual 420x flights, what do we do?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I did all my 42xx's on the road so the power was set at 1015ftlbs (300lbs/hr) from t/o to the landing pattern.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
As far as the flights go, my big peeve is showing up with a plan. Know the briefing items, of course, brush up on your EP's, and have a plan. By a plan, I mean look at what you need to get done and what you have done and come up with a realistic plan for the conduct of the whole flight.
You will do (at a minimum):
A departure
PTP
Holding
3 approaches
Look at the items that you need graded and go from there. For example, if you need tacan holding, a straight in approach, and a teardrop approach, pick a place (Monroeville?) that has all these things, and pick out the order that you want to get the holding and approaches done. It will help you take charge of your own training and will make you better rounded and more prepared for advanced where you are truly expected to plan each flight. The IP may or may not decide to execute your plan, but hey, you tried.
If you are not in VT-3, you will do kiddie plates unless you are on 4104-5 and have shown potential, and then you may do real approaches.
Good luck.

Malice 1

pilot
I did all my 42xx's on the road so the power was set at 1015ftlbs (300lbs/hr) from t/o to the landing pattern.

I'm talking about 41xx's. I'll worry about the XC flights in a couple weeks.

EDIT: thanks E6B. Thats what I was looking for.

EDIT AGAIN: Is there any friendly gouge associated with that? I.e..... Don't plan on doing MVC apps during lunchtime, don't plan on ops over the NSE vortac, etc....

Rubiks06

pilot
As far as the flights go, my big peeve is showing up with a plan. Know the briefing items, of course, brush up on your EP's, and have a plan. By a plan, I mean look at what you need to get done and what you have done and come up with a realistic plan for the conduct of the whole flight.
You will do (at a minimum):
A departure
PTP
Holding
3 approaches
Look at the items that you need graded and go from there. For example, if you need tacan holding, a straight in approach, and a teardrop approach, pick a place (Monroeville?) that has all these things, and pick out the order that you want to get the holding and approaches done. It will help you take charge of your own training and will make you better rounded and more prepared for advanced where you are truly expected to plan each flight. The IP may or may not decide to execute your plan, but hey, you tried.
If you are not in VT-3, you will do kiddie plates unless you are on 4104-5 and have shown potential, and then you may do real approaches.
Good luck.

As an instructor hes probably the best one to go with. My only addition is that not all IPs like to use the kiddie plates. I used real plates from 4003 on. I was in 6 and as a student i definately found it a good idea to show up with a plan, dont be set in it though because 9 times out of 10 it will change.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I'm talking about 41xx's. I'll worry about the XC flights in a couple weeks.

EDIT: thanks E6B. Thats what I was looking for.

EDIT AGAIN: Is there any friendly gouge associated with that? I.e..... Don't plan on doing MVC apps during lunchtime, don't plan on ops over the NSE vortac, etc....

Only one piece of advice: The NSE VOR has been OTS since it got struck by lightning. It was never "street legal", but now it just doesn't work. That and the CEW TACAN bearing is notamed OTS as well (VOR bearing works 4.0 and you can use it to do the TACAN approaches at CEW). Don't plan on doing VOR holding at NSE, don't use the CEW TACAN bearing on departure. Everything else is fair game.
Rubiks, thanks for the gouge. Good call. It is all IP dependent, but if you are struggling, don't expect to do any real world (unless you are in 3, where kiddie plates are eeeevvvvilllll!!!!)

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
Malice, the big trick for first block RI flights is to be flexible. There are a lot of variables out there that can change your plan, and since you'll be flying in the quasi-"real" world, you cannot rely on the predictability of the canned situations that you had in the sim. You probably will not be an awesome RI student on your -4101, but it will come pretty fast. Once you've gotten a hand on the kiddie plates, I definately recommend asking the IP to do a few real approaches. Though they are more complicated to look at, and sometimes Pensacola Approach can make things difficult, I preferred flying the real approaches and talking to an actual controller. Also, don't slack on the EP's or discuss items, cause you will still be responsible for all of it.

As for the 2nd block sims, don't sweat the flight planning. Use the wind numbers they gave you for the whole flight, and use a close power setting (no need to use the NATOPS chart to compute the exact value). Also, after the first sim in the 2400 block, you will fly the remaining sim flights at 170KIAS vice 150. Good luck!

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Keep a matrix of all the approaches you need to do, i.e. put a check in the box, date, name of approach for each one performed, so the IP can glance at your remaining requirements to formulate a plan. Often times, weather will dictate where you go and if you use kiddie or real plates. If you're lucky, you can get a few out-and-ins out of this block.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you're lucky, you can get a few out-and-ins out of this block.

Make a couple of out and in flight plans to some place that has soome good food and isn't someplace IPs go to every day and keep it in your back pocket. I had 2 plans when I was in primary; one for a flight to Hammond, LA for po-boys (not sure if its still around), and one to TLH. They came in handy when I was trying to get a flight while on standby.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where's the place with the muffaletta sandwiches? Somewhere in LA I thought?

Junior

pilot
Hammond has awesome muffulettas but you have to take the courtesy van to the local deli. Acadiana has great food right at the airport; homemade cajun stuff.