• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commuting during flight school

TyKing

pilot
We've already decided to live there, I'm okay with the drive, I hope it's no more than a hour or 1 and 10min drive. If I end up hating the drive, sometime during primary I may consider moving closer.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Everyone sucks at driving everywhere. Even you.

Only exception is me. I'm awesome. Everyone else is either a dithering old lady or a madman.
Well played, George Carlin.

Panhandle drivers are still extra dumb. The schools don't seem to teach shapes (i.e. triangle and octagon, what they mean), left vs right (fast, slow), or reeding comprehenshun of big words (slow·er traf·fic keep right).

They're actually even worse in Brewton- that's the only place I've seen people brake for green lights when they're already going under the 25mph speed limit. Yes, the light then changed yellow and the person stopped for that. It's also the only place I've seen someone panic brake for a school zone on a Sunday night. There was no flashing lights, just the usual sign with morning and afternoon hours M-F and the phrase "when lights flashing." For the school zone guy there's no explanation- I seriously doubt there was school on Sunday nights back when he dropped out of fourth grade to marry his cousin.

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
We've already decided to live there, I'm okay with the drive, I hope it's no more than a hour or 1 and 10min drive. If I end up hating the drive, sometime during primary I may consider moving closer.

Do you both a favor and plan on breaking your lease and moving in between API and Primary. I did that commute for a couple months as a single instructor. It sucked.

As a married student you’re setting yourself up for a difficult time.
Sitting in a car 3hrs a day is going to eat into the time with your spouse, study time and sleep time. Your home life is going to suffer as are your grades.

Flight school is difficult enough. Don’t make it any worse on yourself.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

Hope as a viable course of action...bold move, cotton!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yeah dude, when I was at Whiting I made the drive down to NASP a few times for training, fleet fly-ins, etc. Base to base can easily be 70-80 minutes with traffic and the back gate is an additional 15 minutes. Would not recommend doing that day in and day out, that’s a super easy way to set yourself up a miserable 6-8 months in Primary.

Not to mention that living out the back gate won’t get you much in terms of amenities besides being close to the beach, so at that point you might as well be living in downtown/East Hill/UWF anyways.

Last edited:

Birdbrain

pilot
The way I saw it, I was only going to be in Primary for 6 months at NASWF and could have been sent anywhere after (unless I got helos) and I was willing to put up with a 5 minute drive to base which would help me as a flight student at the sacrifice of living somewhere besides Milton which is about as backwater as a place can get. It worked for me. Definitely not something I would want if I was going to be there much longer. Pensacola is a fun area and the beaches are great and if it was going to be a longer PCS I would have stayed somewhere closer to Pensacola without a second thought.

GroundPounder

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah dude, when I was at Whiting I made the drive down to NASP a few times for training, fleet fly-ins, etc. Base to base can easily be 70-80 minutes with traffic and the back gate is an additional 15 minutes. Would not recommend doing that day in and day out, that’s a super easy way to set yourself up a miserable 6-8 months in Primary.

Not to mention that living out the back gate won’t get you much in terms of amenities besides being close to the beach, so at that point you might as well be living in downtown/East Hill/UWF anyways.

Not to mention the possibility of getting those "Hey you're an add-on to the sked for your (event), some Reservist IP came in at the last minute. Be here ready to brief in an hour" calls.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Gotta love it when a dozen or so people who've been IPs, plus a bunch of SNAs, are like "Hey maybe that's a bad idea, you don't have to live in BFE Milton, but don't live by the back gate of NASP" and the answer is "Nah, I'm good". ?‍♂️

TyKing

pilot
Gotta love it when a dozen or so people who've been IPs, plus a bunch of SNAs, are like "Hey maybe that's a bad idea, you don't have to live in BFE Milton, but don't live by the back gate of NASP" and the answer is "Nah, I'm good". ?‍♂️
Your right. I'm an idiot, just plain wrong!!! Gotta get my life together. If you still feel the need to, you can make another post about it..... Not trying to be a jerk, just poking fun at the dog pile.

Thanks everyone for the responses, my family and I will definitely look into potentially moving closer to Milton before I start primary. Unfortunately my family and I had certain circumstances that force our hand in getting a place in the back gate of NASP. Push come to shove, I may just have to do the commute, personally I'm okay with the commute, but I totally understand where you guys are coming from with the advice and I will heed your advice.

I'll probably make an update post, post primary, if I end up doing the commute; to give other SNAs an idea of what it may be like having a long commute during primary.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Somebody ought to start an online forum where people with Naval Aviation experience can share such experience and advice.