• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commuting during flight school

TyKing

pilot
Hey everyone, I had questions about having a commute during flight school. I'm a SNA that's about to move down to Pensacola with a family. Right now the plan is to stay in Pensacola and once primary starts just do the long commute everyday during primary.

I know that the commute might get old, but both my wife and I don't really want to live in Milton. I'm prior service and just left being station at a base in the middle of nowhere. What's you guys advice on the commute from pensacola during primary? Is it worth it?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
How far is your drive from home to Milton (in time)?
+1 for this question. There's a significant portion of NAS Whidbey officers that make the daily 25-30 minute commute from Anacortes to the NAS. Some even live farther out in Mount Vernon which is closer to 45-50 mins.

As someone who used to slum it down in Oak Harbor and could go from my front door to the ready room in 10 minutes, it had its benefits; but I've found that the 25 minute commute to and from Anacortes really isn't that bad, especially with a loaded up playlist of podcasts. The QOL in Anacortes is worth at least that sacrifice.

Meyerkord

pilot
Someone I know commutes from Perdido Key to South Field every day. It's about an hour commute, but he likes to live where he plays and doesn't mind the drive. Just depends how far you're willing to go.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've almost always been a commuter. Drove 45min to NASWF from East Hill Pcola in VTs and HT. Drove 45min from VaBeach to NOB for a year. Before COVID I'd drive 45-60min from my house to Pax.

So to answer your question, it's totally doable. Live somewhere that your wife and kids will be happy and get an audible account.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Hey everyone, I had questions about having a commute during flight school. I'm a SNA that's about to move down to Pensacola with a family. Right now the plan is to stay in Pensacola and once primary starts just do the long commute everyday during primary.

I know that the commute might get old, but both my wife and I don't really want to live in Milton. I'm prior service and just left being station at a base in the middle of nowhere. What's you guys advice on the commute from pensacola during primary? Is it worth it?

Do. Not. Live. In. Milton. Pace is strip mall hell and not really that much closer when taking berryhill rd.

Suck up the drive and live by what passes for culture and recreation in Lower Alabama. It'll only really suck for 5:15 briefs. Get over it. It's still not worth living in Miltonia.

TyKing

pilot
I've almost always been a commuter. Drove 45min to NASWF from East Hill Pcola in VTs and HT. Drove 45min from VaBeach to NOB for a year. Before COVID I'd drive 45-60min from my house to Pax.

So to answer your question, it's totally doable. Live somewhere that your wife and kids will be happy and get an audible account.
Yea, I'm pretty much leaning towards this, I'll just listen to alot of audio books or go through my EPs while driving.

Bigfoot

I live very close to base. It sucks and Milton sucks.

I don't really envy the guys who live in Pace. Slightly better neighborhoods but its still 20-25 mins to the squadrons. I would say make sure you have a nice reliable/fuel-efficient vehicle and 50 minutes won't be a problem. Maybe you can record yourself talking through EPs/ course rules etc and play that audio during the drive.

Those 5 am briefs will be rough but that won't be every day, whereas living in Milton would be.

TyKing

pilot
So my wife and I have been accepted to a place, its in the emerald shores area, the area near the back gate of Pensacola. Once I start primary it will be an hour commute everyday to NAS Whiting. Anyone know about the area?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have an hour (or 1:05) commute every day I work now (one way). My work day is guaranteed to be a minimum of 12 hours, but could be longer. My drive is easy, but it's still an hour-plus. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive an hour back and forth to KNSE every day, even if the days are shorter. And the commute through Berryhill/Milton aren't as nice as what I drive now on an interstate.

But that's me.