• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commuting during flight school

croakerfish

pilot
So my wife and I have been accepted to a place, its in the emerald shores area, the area near the back gate of Pensacola. Once I start primary it will be an hour commute everyday to NAS Whiting. Anyone know about the area?

That will suck and take more than an hour. I strongly recommend being closer to the north side of Pensacola. There are numerous nice apartments around UWF that are popular with SNAs.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That will suck and take more than an hour. I strongly recommend being closer to the north side of Pensacola. There are numerous nice apartments around UWF that are popular with SNAs.

Yeah, I think I would try to find somewhere (among many places) a bit closer to the interstate or whatever it is that gets you there. I think the idea of an hour commute is fine if you think you will be fine with it. I commuted about that at Miramar (FRS) and also in Fallon (JO shore). Granted those things aren't primary, but it sucks either way. Good news is that primary isn't that long. I think I was in corpus for ~6 months. Unless you go helos, in which case you'll be informed enough to decide if you want to stick with it or move closer.

HeartofTexas

Contributor
I swear the first time I saw that sticker, I thought it said "Slut Life," and I thought "OK, whatever, you do you . . ."

I spent two years thinking it did say Slut Life. Wasn't super common in the Midwest so figured "Weird thing to be openly proud about but you do you, boo". Got to Pensacola, first time driving out to the "main" beach and made a comment about how there's a lot of people with "Slut Life" stickers. Roommates thought I was joking so I got a pass on that but I still initially read it like that to this day ?

RoarkJr.

For a second I thought “how do people not know what Salt Life stickers are.” Then I realized I’m from the beach and other people may not be. Hah. You guys are just mad that you can’t surf ?.

Not sure why people live in Perdido, as living in east hill puts you about 15 minutes from Pensacola Beach and 5 minutes from downtown. Worth the 20 minute drive to NASP to me. I think part of the reason is that if you get Milton orders they will be funded due to being outside the requisite ~40mi or so.

GroundPounder

I swear the first time I saw that sticker, I thought it said "Slut Life," and I thought "OK, whatever, you do you . . ."

We used to go to Anastasia Island ( St. Augustine ) and the first two summers we went, I swear I though that's what those stickers said.

Ya'll have all been there, so it does not take much to believe that a subset of the Florida population is so entirely wacked out of their gourds that they would have the " Slue Life " flag flying.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you don't like Pace/Milton, the UWF area ain't much better.

Seconding East Hill - or, if you like, Pensacola Beach to Whiting is similar commute (via Garcon Point toll bridge, but still)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So my wife and I have been accepted to a place, its in the emerald shores area, the area near the back gate of Pensacola. Once I start primary it will be an hour commute everyday to NAS Whiting. Anyone know about the area?

Seems like that commute might be more like 1:15- 1:30. A move to the east side of Pensacola (Scenic highway/ East Hill) would probably be better for you long term.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Seems like that commute might be more like 1:15- 1:30. A move to the east side of Pensacola (Scenic highway/ East Hill) would probably be better for you long term.

An hour commute would be VERY optimistic coming from the back gate of NASP to the Squadrons on NASWF. Unless you're leaving at 0345, plan on Zippy's 1:30. Even that might not be enough with bad traffic. It's a haul, and there's no fast way to get from 1 point to the other...too much in town driving with the left lane inbreds driving 5 mph slower than traffic.