• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commuting during flight school

Dontcallmegump

pilot
USAA made me switch even though my plates and registration stayed the same.

Yeah, usaa aparently wanted to know that. Oh well, late then never.

That's interesting.

When I was a college student they didn't want it changed, and during the break between out of state to AD it should have swapped but the agent told me to not worry, it was only a few months and garaged. Maybe it's different being a motorcycle in that case.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, usaa aparently wanted to know that. Oh well, late then never.

When I was a college student they didn't want it changed, and during the break between out of state to AD it should have swapped but the agent told me to not worry, it was only a few months and garaged. Maybe it's different being a motorcycle in that case.
They're probably a lot happier than if you told them that after they had to pay out a claim. :)

They base the policy premium on the risk you incur by driving in a given locale. That's why they ask you how old you are, how many miles you put on it, and so forth. A bunch of 50-pound headed actuaries (or maybe an algorithm nowadays) regonkulate that into a relative risk. Higher risk == more money, because it's more likely they have to pay you at some point instead of just cash your check. It's not that it's different for a motorcycle. It's that it's different for a vehicle actively being driven in Redneck Location A instead of Bougie Soccer Mom Location B. If it's stored in either place, they only have to pay a comprehensive claim if the storage place burns down.

Bikes are cheaper than cars, but the storage place burning down is (equally or more importantly) orders of magnitude less likely than you getting T-boned by Jesse Joe Jim Bob at the corner of Government and Alcaniz. Thus, lower rates.

Mmm . . . sushi . . .