• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Community Transfer from Helos to E6s/P8s?

exNavyOffRec

funny to hear about this program... there is no shit a barred attorney who is flying west coast. Classic OCS guy with wild story.

During my career I worked with 2 enlisted nukes with law degrees, don't know much about the first guy and he could have been just telling BS stories, the other guy ended up having a picture of his degree with him after several other nukes called him out, wasn't too close with him, I guess he had some easy shore duty and knocked it out.

Tanhauser0621

pilot
Yeah, I have actually heard of more than one J.D. that ended up doing OCS/aviation.
During my career I worked with 2 enlisted nukes with law degrees, don't know much about the first guy and he could have been just telling BS stories, the other guy ended up having a picture of his degree with him after several other nukes called him out, wasn't too close with him, I guess he had some easy shore duty and knocked it out.

Sounds also like a buds dud. That seal pipeline attracts a lot of overachievers. Very common for enlisted buds candidates to have college degrees.

exNavyOffRec

Sounds also like a buds dud. That seal pipeline attracts a lot of overachievers. Very common for enlisted buds candidates to have college degrees.

I saw that quite a bit in recruiting, guys wanting to be SEALS and they had college degrees, but "easier" to get a spot to go to BUDS and enlisted than officer, and most of the time those guys just want to be SEALS.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
This is definitely not the case in helo land. While not the norm, we send people to FSEP all the time. My front office sent out the info on LEP when I was in the fleet. I briefly considered it but decided I wasn't ready to give up flying. But they were at least willing to entertain the discussion of signing off on the application. Yes, PERS would have had to sign off on it of course. Maybe your experience of everyone saying "no" is as a VP NFO?

EDIT: on the FSEP note, anyone know what kind of candidates they selected in most recent board from aviation? We were sending guys pretty consistently from FRS to FSEP 1 or 2 per year, but in the last one it was a big fat 0. I know they opened FSEP up to post-DH...so maybe to @Angry point they are not letting post-shore tour guys do it anymore.

You're right on both counts here. My comments were in regards to VP - the community manager I referenced is the VP community manager. They are the moratorium on pre-DH candidates being accepted into the program. I have no knowledge of what the other communities are/have done, but if they are managing to get JOs into the program (since they are who the program was originally created to cater to) then good.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I saw that quite a bit in recruiting, guys wanting to be SEALS and they had college degrees, but "easier" to get a spot to go to BUDS and enlisted than officer, and most of the time those guys just want to be SEALS.
A friend of mine in Army aviation noted kind of the same thing. More and more people with degrees are joining as WO pilots because they want to fly. He has even had a few who turned down USAF offers because the Air Force couldn’t guarantee they wouldn’t fly UAVs.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're right on both counts here. My comments were in regards to VP - the community manager I referenced is the VP community manager. They are the moratorium on pre-DH candidates being accepted into the program. I have no knowledge of what the other communities are/have done, but if they are managing to get JOs into the program (since they are who the program was originally created to cater to) then good.

Unless things have changed in the last year, not true. There are 2 VP NFOs in their DH tours I know personally that did the program.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Heavy lift has never been a navy vertrep capability.
I remember chewing gum and watching a Phrog shift a TF-30 (Tomcat) engine from one deck to another. I guess I didn’t realize how heavy an F-35 engine was.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The Navy has 53's and the Osprey, otherwise you need contractors with either a SuperPuma (Erickson / Air Center) or a BV-107 (Columbia Helicopters)