• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Community Transfer from Helos to E6s/P8s?

Tanhauser0621

pilot
Right now we have five helo to VFA or VAQ transitions in my squadron alone. Several more down the hall. I've heard it's a mix of HSC cutting numbers to head off their smaller footprint in the future and VFA needing bodies. Strike while the iron is hot.

Is the iron hot for Helo to Maritime/E6? Quality of life seems to be a real retention saver.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Never heard of anyone being “drafted” fixed wing.
Back when I finished primary in the 80’s there was a pretty strong draft into Maritime. Strong enough that I was worried I get caught up in it. Maybe guys leaving for the SHOW?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
There were P-3 draft weeks during my time at primary (2007). My grad week was a free-for-all where everyone 50+ got jets if requested. I had a 49 NSS and couldn't be happier whirling birds for a living.

Tanhauser0621

pilot
There were P-3 draft weeks during my time at primary (2007). My grad week was a free-for-all where everyone 50+ got jets if requested. I had a 49 NSS and couldn't be happier whirling birds for a living.

Wish I had your enthusiasm. I’m surprised they didn’t start drafting jets with the amount of studs who wanted P8s

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
When I finished primary - 2011- basically helos and P-3s/8s( was a maybeeeeee) were equally easy to get and jets were the only competitive one.

I'm surprised you've made it this far @Tanhauser0621 - Advanced didn't turn you onto helos? Flying the 60 didn't either? I am curious what you want out of P-8s/E-6s. With the latter, stability in duty station I understand.

With that said, I always laughed at studs who only wanted to be airline pilots and thought they needed to select Maritime to do that. There's no way to predict the future. In 2011, no one I was talking to was seriously thinking the Airlines would be so desparate for hiring in 2017-2020 that helo dudes would be recruited for the airlines and no one on January 1st of 2020 thought it would all come crashing down 4 months later. Just go with the flow, enjoy where you're at, with whom you are spending time, and doing (flying) what you're doing (flying). There are options for you to lat txfer after your first or second tour, but not before you select for O-4 per the instruction.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Airlines would be so desparate for hiring in 2017-2020 that helo dudes would be recruited for the airlines
A correction. Regional airlines were recruiting helo dudes, not the majors. Major airlines are not and never have been desperate for pilots.

Helo dudes could plan on 2 to 5 years at a regional minimum depending on their VT (or other) fixed wing time. Helo dudes with only primary fixed wing time had to jump through a bunch of hoops prior to flying for the regional (transition programs) and could expect a much longer time at the regional. Fixed wing could for the most part go straight to a major.

Big difference in pay and QOL between a regional and a major.

Tanhauser0621

pilot
When I finished primary - 2011- basically helos and P-3s/8s( was a maybeeeeee) were equally easy to get and jets were the only competitive one.

I'm surprised you've made it this far @Tanhauser0621 - Advanced didn't turn you onto helos? Flying the 60 didn't either? I am curious what you want out of P-8s/E-6s. With the latter, stability in duty station I understand.

With that said, I always laughed at studs who only wanted to be airline pilots and thought they needed to select Maritime to do that. There's no way to predict the future. In 2011, no one I was talking to was seriously thinking the Airlines would be so desparate for hiring in 2017-2020 that helo dudes would be recruited for the airlines and no one on January 1st of 2020 thought it would all come crashing down 4 months later. Just go with the flow, enjoy where you're at, with whom you are spending time, and doing (flying) what you're doing (flying). There are options for you to lat txfer after your first or second tour, but not before you select for O-4 per the instruction.

I mean there are aspects of the community which I would enjoy... if we did them... regularly. But we don’t. Vertrep is contracted out. Sierra community has an identity crisis right now IMO. The tactics are getting thinner. Carrier footprint is reducing, and when Romeos become SAR masters, and other things the Sierra community is going to be a larger question mark... Ultimately I just don’t enjoy the flying. I enjoyed instruments in primary and autos are sobering.

When I joined the Navy I was fascinated with Arctic Warfare. The idea of hunting subs in the Northwest Passage was a huge draw for me. Cold War Games. The Nuclear Trinity Etc. I distinctly joined the Navy to fly P8s/P3s. I Had genuine aspirations and wanted to be part of the community’s return to the Arctic. I’m doubtful that will ever happen now.

I don’t know if people will understand. But I’ve just not enjoyed Helos since advanced. I’ve constantly been told that “oh you’ll end up liking it” and I think thats why I keep going.

Tanhauser0621

pilot

This has nothing to do with airlines btw. Genuinely want to stay career.

please confirm, lat xfers have to happen after O4 board? How does that work? O4 operational DH with less than 200 hrs in model?

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I mean there are aspects of the community which I would enjoy... if we did them... regularly. But we don’t. Vertrep is contracted out. Sierra community has an identity crisis right now IMO. The tactics are getting thinner. Carrier footprint is reducing, and when Romeos become SAR masters, and other things the Sierra community is going to be a larger question mark... Ultimately I just don’t enjoy the flying. I enjoyed instruments in primary and autos are sobering.

When I joined the Navy I was fascinated with Arctic Warfare. The idea of hunting subs in the Northwest Passage was a huge draw for me. Cold War Games. The Nuclear Trinity Etc. I distinctly joined the Navy to fly P8s/P3s. I Had genuine aspirations and wanted to be part of the community’s return to the Arctic. I’m doubtful that will ever happen now.

I don’t know if people will understand. But I’ve just not enjoyed Helos since advanced. I’ve constantly been told that “oh you’ll end up liking it” and I think thats why I keep going.
You could transfer to HSM. High north ASW opportunities and all.
You would be fine as a DH—former bravo pilots also rolled into DH tours with no idea what they were doing and are now COs.
But, we don’t have per diem or MTOCs. We also live on the boatiest of boats.
Never mind. Enjoy Oklahoma!

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Sierra community

Now I understand. I was an HS JO and defected to HSM due to luckily guessing that I would not be fulfilled within the HSC community due to mission and platform.

when Romeos become SAR masters,
Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby. Seriously though, I know the HSC CVN footprint is reducing, but I doubt Z is looking to let P/R keep the primary RMP builder inside 20 nmi.

If you like the Navy but not your platform/community, you should absolutely look to transition. CMV-22 opportunities for HSC bubba's seem to ebb and flow a lot, and there's not any more mission to be had than Sierras (yet), but it is much mored fixed-wing than rotary.

If you've got a STEM degree, interest, and motivation, TPS can open some doors to transition.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
This has nothing to do with airlines btw. Genuinely want to stay career.

please confirm, lat xfers have to happen after O4 board? How does that work? O4 operational DH with less than 200 hrs in model?

It's not a lat txfer, that's to a new community like PAO, FAO, etc. What you're looking for is a community/platform transfer. There is an instruction on it on the PERS-43 website.

You're right. HSC has been in an identity crisis for many years. I never was affected by the contracted out VERTREP... sorry to hear that's the case.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Now I understand. I was an HS JO and defected to HSM due to luckily guessing that I would not be fulfilled within the HSC community due to mission and platform.

Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby. Seriously though, I know the HSC CVN footprint is reducing, but I doubt Z is looking to let P/R keep the primary RMP builder inside 20 nmi.

There is serious discussion about expanding that quite dramatically.

Tanhauser0621

pilot

If you like the Navy but not your platform/community, you should absolutely look to transition. CMV-22 opportunities for HSC bubba's seem to ebb and flow a lot, and there's not any more mission to be had than Sierras (yet), but it is much mored fixed-wing than rotary.

If you've got a STEM degree, interest, and motivation, TPS can open some doors to transition.

Was on CQ det and heard a story that an HSM CO told the skipper of the lincoln they don’t do SAR. When they made a port call said HSM was barred from leaving boat.
Ironically I do have a stem degree... but TPS has given me zero interest...

Tanhauser0621

pilot
You could transfer to HSM. High north ASW opportunities and all.
You would be fine as a DH—former bravo pilots also rolled into DH tours with no idea what they were doing and are now COs.
But, we don’t have per diem or MTOCs. We also live on the boatiest of boats.
Never mind. Enjoy Oklahoma!

Ya so this has crossed my mind several times... unfortunately I think it’s a band aid to an underlying issue.