• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Colombian Prostitutes - Good Times or Career Enders?

MasterBates

I remember the myriad of Byzantine rules that JTF Katrina put out.

I seem to recall the majority of the idiotic ones being just plain ignored

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The current NORTHCOM commander and LTG Honore have something in common, they both bleed green and that means heavy-handed one-size-fits all solutions to any problem they are confronted with.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The gray area WRT the legality probably boils down to how they define what being "on duty" means. Normally while on liberty (I.E. not in a duty status), the military has no right to tell you that you can't wear torn jeans or have a beer. Sounds like they're basically saying that you're in a duty status for the duration of the "deployment" to the NATO Summit.

Every port call you've made has had rules like no flip flops, no midrift baring clothing, no obscene/profane clothing, etc.

How does that square with your post? The Ademiral or CO has made rules for the expected behvior of the personnel under their command. If you are "deployed" then you are subject to the deployed commanders direction, the location of the deployment area has no bearing on this fact.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every port call you've made has had rules like no flip flops, no midrift baring clothing, no obscene/profane clothing, etc.

How does that square with your post? The Ademiral or CO has made rules for the expected behvior of the personnel under their command. If you are "deployed" then you are subject to the deployed commanders direction, the location of the deployment area has no bearing on this fact.
That's exactly what I'm saying. When you're overseas you are, in a sense, operating in a different kind of duty status where the commander can impose more restrictive requirements (curfews, no booze, "proper" civilian attire) than would be possible at home base. It's just usually not applied to INCONUS scenarios, which is why I brought it up.

MasterBates

And how long until the first unit level commander thinks he can say the unit is operating under deployment rules while in home port or garrison?

That's where I see this going. Treating field exercises as deployed, that's what they are for. Going to the deployed mindset all the time is going to suck. Not for me, but going to suck.

Can you imagine the first airwing Fallon where CAG or the CSG Admiral imposes the no booze, no civilian clothes rules?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would venture that scenario would be ripe for legal challenge, assuming someone wants to go there in exchange for decreased advancement opportunities. :)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
And how long until the first unit level commander thinks he can say the unit is operating under deployment rules while in home port or garrison?

That's where I see this going. Treating field exercises as deployed, that's what they are for. Going to the deployed mindset all the time is going to suck. Not for me, but going to suck.

Can you imagine the first airwing Fallon where CAG or the CSG Admiral imposes the no booze, no civilian clothes rules?

yaaaawnnn... The sky isn't falling and CAG's aren't going to make wholesale "no liberty" rules for CVW NFLs. I have seen squadrons give CAG a reason to rescind their liberty, but that special treatment was earned - and limited to that squadron. Call me naive, but I don't think every commander is spineless, scared, or weak. For the most part, the people "in charge" (at the local level that directly impact you) get it, despite the spate of chicken little paranoia that seems to be en vogue these days.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would venture that scenario would be ripe for legal challenge, assuming someone wants to go there in exchange for decreased advancement opportunities. :)
Granted, I'm not a lawyer, I just pester them from time to time in the course of my ground job. I was told that the reason that COs are given more restrictive policies overseas (liberty risk being a prime example) is that the courts have ruled that the US Government has a compelling interest in avoiding an international incident created by Airman Snuffy. The Government's interest in avoiding international embarrassment overrides an individual servicemember's right to liberty.

INCONUS, the standard rules apply. Normal liberty is a right, not a privilege, and may only be denied through due process of law, i.e. NJP or courts-martial. This is why we've always been told to word EMI orders in an educational and not punitive fashion.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
But just because you physically are not in your work space while under deployment orders, does that constitute liberty?