• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CO of USS Theodore Roosevelt makes quite the statement.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
“From my perspective, even just one more week of routine planning would have resulted in another week of exponential growth in positive cases and greater risk to more Sailors. We wanted to stop the administrative bureaucracy … so I sent up a red flare.”

We call it “pulling the andon cord.” It works, but only in an organization that values radical transparency. The organizational culture needs to be one where you would get in more trouble for NOT communicating urgent bad news than you would for covering up the mess to save face.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
“Vice Adm. William Merz, commander of the U.S. 7th Fleet, told investigators that Crozier either did not understand military efforts underway to evacuate the crowded ship or wanted to undermine those efforts. Merz hypothesized that Crozier screwed up and panicked, or wanted to play hero.

“Either way, he surrendered, and brings into question his resiliency and toughness in command,” Merz said.”
————————
Blame someone under your command. Avoid ownership and accountability wherever possible. That’s the flag playbook.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
T&P FOIAed all of the emails to/from TR CO from the onset of the problem until his relief.

“In total, the emails demolish the Navy’s official rationales for firing and then not reinstating Crozier. For the sake of transparency, Task & Purpose is making these communications available so the American public has a full understanding of the how the crisis aboard the Theodore Roosevelt unfolded.”

snake020

Contributor
T&P FOIAed all of the emails to/from TR CO from the onset of the problem until his relief.

“In total, the emails demolish the Navy’s official rationales for firing and then not reinstating Crozier. For the sake of transparency, Task & Purpose is making these communications available so the American public has a full understanding of the how the crisis aboard the Theodore Roosevelt unfolded.”

Anyone have a .pdf copy of this link since Scribd wants to scam me into a subscription to download?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We call it “pulling the andon cord.” It works, but only in an organization that values radical transparency. The organizational culture needs to be one where you would get in more trouble for NOT communicating urgent bad news than you would for covering up the mess to save face.
Tell me your employer without telling me your employer. :D

Hair Warrior

Contributor
These emails are fascinating.
  • What’s Jdial?
  • Guy “Bus” Snodgrass felt 01 Apr was a good time to invite the CO on his podcast (CAPT Crozier was relieved on 03 Apr); Bus ended up doing 3 podcasts on Crozier before the podcast ceased putting out new episodes in 2021
  • If you work for AT&T, General Atomics, or another private sector employer and you feel the need to put “CDR, USN-Ret.” in your email signature block… please don’t.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
  • Guy “Bus” Snodgrass felt 01 Apr was a good time to invite the CO on his podcast (CAPT Crozier was relieved on 03 Apr); Bus ended up doing 3 podcasts on Crozier before the podcast ceased putting out new episodes in 2021.
I'm not close enough to the situation to know for sure, but it would not in the least surprise me if Bus has become persona non grata to anyone with a lick of upward mobility after he wrote that book basically throwing Mattis under the bus. I work for a sitting flag who's made two things clear to his staff in no uncertain terms. First, he wants the right brains in the room to help him solve the problem, and if that means he's getting personally briefed by an O-3 or E-7, do it. Second, those conversations are confidential in the ethical sense, if not the classification marking. And if he hears of those conversations getting shared on email or social media about "I got to talk to the Admiral about this cool thing and here's what he's thinking," the perpetrator's career is going to be ruthlessly taken out back and shot.
  • If you work for AT&T, General Atomics, or another private sector employer and you feel the need to put “CDR, USN-Ret.” in your email signature block… please don’t.
Seriously. I work with a retired former Commodore and CNO fellow. He uses his first name like everyone else.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not close enough to the situation to know for sure, but it would not in the least surprise me if Bus has become persona non grata to anyone with a lick of upward mobility after he wrote that book basically throwing Mattis under the bus. I work for a sitting flag who's made two things clear to his staff in no uncertain terms. First, he wants the right brains in the room to help him solve the problem, and if that means he's getting personally briefed by an O-3 or E-7, do it. Second, those conversations are confidential in the ethical sense, if not the classification marking. And if he hears of those conversations getting shared on email or social media about "I got to talk to the Admiral about this cool thing and here's what he's thinking," the perpetrator's career is going to be ruthlessly taken out back and shot.

Seriously. I work with a retired former Commodore and CNO fellow. He uses his first name like everyone else.
I don’t know him personally, but it seems like Bus turned real douchey right about the time he screened AVN and turned it down because he somehow thought he deserved to be a CAG. Then the book, then a failed podcast ( surprise, surprise). That guy can fuck all the way off, IMO.