• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Osprey ropes are the absolute worst, I’d hate to have to do that onto a sub! The rope is kicked back damn near 45 degrees, terrible slide. Also why a good pic of it would be hard to get on a sub.
I believe they were actually using a steel cable hoist.... In this instance, not a fast-rope...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Question for the experts - does the Navy with the CMV-22B or Marines with the MV-22B have the capability today to execute this mission to a SSN - hundreds of miles out to sea? Or is there something unique about the AF capability or CV-22B itself that Navy/Marines were not chosen to do this mission for this photo? Thx

croakerfish

pilot
Question for the experts - does the Navy with the CMV-22B or Marines with the MV-22B have the capability today to execute this mission to a SSN - hundreds of miles out to sea? Or is there something unique about the AF capability or CV-22B itself that Navy/Marines were not chosen to do this mission for this photo? Thx
Well I don’t think us or the Marines have any Ospreys in England currently for one thing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There’s nothing inherent to CVs that lets them do that mission. The CMV actually has more range.

The reason is likely that CVs’ main mission is SOF infil/exfil, and I believe this demonstration was to advance the capability of delivering SOF to a submarine for follow on missions.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Additionally, a good friend in the community told me that they are doing their best to stiff-arm the good idea fairy types and stick to their primary mission set: VOD. VR has always had more demand then aircraft/ sorties can fulfill, so chasing silly SOF support tasking is something they are trying to avoid. A wise move in my humble opinion!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I would imagine that the Marines would want to keep their SOF guys in the game with Marine aircraft when possible - so I wouldn’t be surprised if it has already happened.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Additionally, a good friend in the community told me that they are doing their best to stiff-arm the good idea fairy types and stick to their primary mission set: VOD. VR has always had more demand then aircraft/ sorties can fulfill, so chasing silly SOF support tasking is something they are trying to avoid. A wise move in my humble opinion!
This is a good point. If the navy wants to pick up that kind of mission they need to dedicate a squadron or two to the work.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I would imagine that the Marines would want to keep their SOF guys in the game with Marine aircraft when possible - so I wouldn’t be surprised if it has already happened.

Oh they’ll get the stateside FRAGs (despite the wing kicking and screaming about it) but in the past few years in country MARSOC riding in USMC assault support aircraft has been a rare exception indeed.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Oh they’ll get the stateside FRAGs (despite the wing kicking and screaming about it) but in the past few years in country MARSOC riding in USMC assault support aircraft has been a rare exception indeed.
Good point and I should have been clear enough to specify training vs actual operations.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Interestingly, vertical lift for MARSOC is almost entirely outside of the Marine Corps, both in training and in operations. The regular Marines would kick and scream about tasking aircraft to support them.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Interestingly, vertical lift for MARSOC is almost entirely outside of the Marine Corps, both in training and in operations. The regular Marines would kick and scream about tasking aircraft to support them.
Interesting.