• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is my point-unless in a direct support role, Navy budget types cry and want someone else to pay the bill.
What do you mean by ‘direct support?’ Pretty sure we’ve been using entire csgs in direct support of someone who is ‘not the Navy’ for a couple decades or more. The entirety of the gfm process counters your assertions about ‘kicking and screaming’ and ‘crying’.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is my point-unless in a direct support role, Navy budget types cry and want someone else to pay the bill.
Got it, but it’s a bit more complex than that, though that can sometimes get lost when the matter gets to N98 who is trying to pay bills for NGAD.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No speculation here:

LPD USS Green Bay landing mishap Aug '17

"The Marine Corps determined the aircraft crashed due to facing too much downwash and not having the thrust to hold its hover, but the aircraft may also have been carrying too much weight, a Defense Department official told USNI News."

I don’t know why this 4YO video is suddenly dumped out there.

That is a horrible summary of the causes. Suffice it to say, several layers of Swiss cheese lined up there and there’s a NATOPS change that specifically addresses it now.

number9

Contributor
Are there any public numbers published on incidents/accidents per (for example) 100,000 flight hours? I would be interested to see how the different platforms look. Every man and his dog on Reddit always seem to say "Omg the Osprey is a death trap!" but I imagine the numbers would tell a very different story.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Are there any public numbers published on incidents/accidents per (for example) 100,000 flight hours? I would be interested to see how the different platforms look. Every man and his dog on Reddit always seem to say "Omg the Osprey is a death trap!" but I imagine the numbers would tell a very different story.
For any and all airframes…if you don’t fly it…it is a “death trap.” If you fly it…it is a marvel of technology, aerodynamics, and coolness.

jmcquate

Contributor
I work with a couple of Marine Osprey drivers (they're not fans of the "Plopter" moniker), both are big fans. The AFSOC platforms are not the same as the Marine or Navy. I have no Idea if this has anything to do with this issue.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Identical airframe and powertrain - differences being in avionics. Integrated EW countermeasures/jammers and terrain following radar and a full IR suite that allows self protection independent of a larger force. Also, contrasting cultures, whilst Marine MV's are "workman" aircraft and show the daily wear of ops, AF CV's I've seen are universally spotless. Impressively so.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Identical airframe and powertrain - differences being in avionics. Integrated EW countermeasures/jammers and terrain following radar and a full IR suite that allows self protection independent of a larger force. Also, contrasting cultures, whilst Marine MV's are "workman" aircraft and show the daily wear of ops, AF CV's I've seen are universally spotless. Impressively so.
Did you copy/paste that from Boeing's glossy brochure?

Integrated EW countermeasures/jammers and terrain following radar and a full IR suite that allows self protection independent of a larger force.
This is the most preposterous statement ever conceived. Put a Plopter inside a WEZ (any WEZ) and it quickly transitions from novelty logistics platform into smoking hole generator in about 10 seconds.

Best-22

None
Did you copy/paste that from Boeing's glossy brochure?

This is the most preposterous statement ever conceived. Put a Plopter inside a WEZ (any WEZ) and it quickly transitions from novelty logistics platform into smoking hole generator in about 10 seconds.
You might be out of your lane on this one. The RF and IR jammers on the CV are very capable. There is a handful of threat systems I'd happily fly through the WEZ of (and have at China lake/Nellis etc). Plus others are easier to mitigate with supporting assets due to the speed of the V-22 and decreasing vulnerability windows.

The CV-22 is the most capable vertical lift platform in the world when it comes to *RF* threat pen. Yes, even including the 160th and I'd stake my reputation on that.

*edited for clarity

Last edited: