• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

FinkUFreaky

pilot
This line gives me great pause: "We would fly around randomly picking up ships on our weather radar and photographing them for the intel boys. "

Just curious, did the C-2s have weather radar in the 80s and the capability dropped? Pretty sure the answer must be no? It's the number one goddamn thing I wish the E-2 had after flying into embedded thunderstorms my first night over Iraq haha. Never made higher than like 6 or 7 on the request list though.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Indeed. They’re all ultimately clickbait whores.
I think they all started out that way, (particularly Rogoway) but have gotten enough clicks and comments that they’ve grown to like the smell of their own flatulence and consider themselves ‘experts’. Thankfully, no one of consequence seems to pay them any mind.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they all started out that way, (particularly Rogoway) but have gotten enough clicks and comments that they’ve grown to like the smell of their own flatulence and consider themselves ‘experts’. Thankfully, no one of consequence seems to pay them any mind.
Fortunately, the Jerry Hendrix sky is falling "US carriers are obsolete/the CVW doesn't have enough range" screed that gets rolled out on slow news days has been met recently with some pretty good rebuttals by current and recently retired FOs... I.E., guys whose knowledge/reasoning is "fully informed." As I've stated on another platform, in Sal's case, here's a guy whose closest brush with Naval Aviation was the helo det on the ship he was on as a SWO DH. The guy has probably never had above a Secret clearance, but he has some ideas about what capabilities the CVW ought to have and how they ought to employ them. The comments section of his blog is full of guys like this. It's a supernova of Dunning Kruger sufferers.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A couple of points related to the plopter COD:
-It doesn’t have 15% less range in the temperature/cargo requirements that were examined. The C-2 loses a lot of cargo capability when it’s warm due to the requirement to climb given a single engine failure on/after takeoff. Also, the CMV-22B has greater range than the MV-22B.
-COD crews do operate pretty independently. While it’s true that they aren’t swapping parts wit’s the local DHL, they are able to do all phased maintenance within the capability of the detachment. This isn’t the case historically with how the Marine Corps operated them.
-The MV-22B hasn’t been operated worldwide like the CMV-22B will need to be operated. When the USMC would send a detachment, it would be a detachment from a theater-based unit. They would also deploy with organic C-130 lift. I cannot speak to what the Navy solution will be, but it’s not a copy/paste from the USMC.
-The weather radar could still ping ships when it worked. Unfortunately, a lot of times the radar was down. I can’t remember if one of the issues was the lack of true stabilization when taxing around on the ground. Even when powered on, the weight on wheels switch would disable a crucial part that in turn allowed it to flop around a bit.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A couple of points related to the plopter COD:
-It doesn’t have 15% less range in the temperature/cargo requirements that were examined. The C-2 loses a lot of cargo capability when it’s warm due to the requirement to climb given a single engine failure on/after takeoff. Also, the CMV-22B has greater range than the MV-22B.
-COD crews do operate pretty independently. While it’s true that they aren’t swapping parts wit’s the local DHL, they are able to do all phased maintenance within the capability of the detachment. This isn’t the case historically with how the Marine Corps operated them.
-The MV-22B hasn’t been operated worldwide like the CMV-22B will need to be operated. When the USMC would send a detachment, it would be a detachment from a theater-based unit. They would also deploy with organic C-130 lift. I cannot speak to what the Navy solution will be, but it’s not a copy/paste from the USMC.
-The weather radar could still ping ships when it worked. Unfortunately, a lot of times the radar was down. I can’t remember if one of the issues was the lack of true stabilization when taxing around on the ground. Even when powered on, the weight on wheels switch would disable a crucial part that in turn allowed it to flop around a bit.

I wonder what the PMC/FMC rate of the C-2 is vs the current MV-22. That’ll affect the maintenance footprint for sure.

Pags

N/A
pilot
VRM ≠ VRC. Manning and Det CONOPS will be different due to the new aircraft. However, the data to determine those differences is more readily available since an almost identical a/c has been fielded for several years, albeit in a different squadron construct. But those differences will likely result in different squadron structure like between a HSC/HSM(exp) and HSC/HSC(cvw). The airplane is the same but the squadron manning is different to account for the difference in deployment types.