• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

Pags

N/A
pilot
Alright, aero or osprey sages:

Why can’t they put the ejectors at an angle so that the sweet, sweet 500 deg exhaust doesn’t point straight down onto the melting flight deck or dry grass of the Sandwich Isles? Is there some usable thrust from flight mode?
Yes there is thrust in airplane mode. Different solutions were looked at but there are multiple requirements to balance.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
There are exhaust deflectors that send the exhaust away from the fuselage so you don’t cook people in back.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So is a Tilt-Rotor pilot considered an "Unrestricted" Pilot?
The preferred nomenclature is powered lift!

...a term which really triggers a lot of F-35 and Harrier guys who are worried about having the airplane category mins to go to the airlines.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

...a term which really triggers a lot of F-35 and Harrier guys who are worried about having the airplane category mins to go to the airlines.
The only thing triggering there is the stupidity of the FAA creating that bullshit category and lumping jets in with plopters

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
First time anyone has seen the paint scheme -

To the bane of 121 AQP folks.

azguy

None
Yes. It's the exact same a/c as the current production MV-22B with the addition of increased fuel capacity, HF radio, some pax related equipment in the back, and different paint.

The Googles say the Osprey-variant has ~15% less range than the C-2. I assume some smart people decided that the difference is negligible for most places the CVN operates, especially with refueling capability.

Also, will be interested to see mission-creep set-in, as the CMV-22B will be capable of operating from many, many more ships than just the Carrier. Off the top of my head, I'd think the LHD/A, LPD, LSD, LCS?, and DDG-1000 are likely NATOPS certified to land an MV-22.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Oh, thanks Max. Not relevant.

Not at all, indeed. The real reason for C-2A to be refueled is to find a carrier in bad weather, thus its refueling should've been done by organic tankers. Same with CMV-22, I think. If F/A-18E/Fs are capable to refuel Ospreys, it will work. If not - who can be sure KC-130 or USAF bigwing tanker will be allocated to a sole COD Osprey which cannot find the carrier at night in a distant spot of dark ocean?

Last edited: