• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Believe this has more to do with the ability to operate at logistics points other than an airport or support HADR.

That’s sorta my point. A Codsprey lands at an HLZ to drop stuff off for HADR, it could also pick up a person/people. Combine that with aerial refueling, NVG operations, ASE, then why not pick up a person at night?

I honestly don’t see it being much of a leap to get into the long range CSAR game.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
That’s sorta my point. A Codsprey lands at an HLZ to drop stuff off for HADR, it could also pick up a person/people. Combine that with aerial refueling, NVG operations, ASE, then why not pick up a person at night?

I honestly don’t see it being much of a leap to get into the long range CSAR game.

The fact that you don’t think NVD operations, TAAR, threat counter-tactics, and “picking up people and persons” in some random country isn’t a big leap speaks volumes.

You -60 guys love to come up with all sorts of good ideas.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
The fact that you don’t think NVD operations, TAAR, threat counter-tactics, and “picking up people and persons” in some random country isn’t a big leap speaks volumes.

You -60 guys love to come up with all sorts of good ideas.

I have 19 years in the Navy, so I've been around long enough to see what problems good idea fairies on the staff can cause. The article is ripe with enough nuggets that some enterprising dipshit will take it and run with it. It'll be up to the COD guys to fight it off.

To provide an example, HSC has kicked around the idea of HAR. Well, once we have a Codsprey, why put HAR on HSC aircraft when the V-22 already has it, and they can also land in the dirt.

I'm not advocating for the V-22 to be used in a CSAR role, I'm just saying that in my experience, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try and make it a thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For the HADR idea, not all HADRs are the same. Those that only require regulation football-sized LZs may work for a CODsprey, but more densely populated areas won't support it. The V-22s were kicked out of all but the PaP ramp and the larger, unpopulated LZs (like FIREBIRD) in Haiti. They just created too much of a mess and damage. Interestingly, the -53s have the same issue, but were never fragged to go into the populated ones because "they" knew better.

I know none of that solves running HSC out of business, so back to that discussion.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
HADRs..LZs...They just created too much of a mess and damage. Interestingly, the -53s have the same issue, but were never fragged to go into the populated ones because "they" knew better.
Well there was this one time back in '07...I only posted it here because I was on that bird and helped offload some relief supplies. The Shitters blew off SEVERAL tin roofs, but the people on the ground were thrilled to see us.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I guess it's a net win.

In Haiti, the V-22s and the Sierras blew off roofs. One because of physics, the other because someone couldn't figure out a line of approach.

insanebikerboy

pilot
None
Contributor
I guess it's a net win.

In Haiti, the V-22s and the Sierras blew off roofs. One because of physics, the other because someone couldn't figure out a line of approach.

Ah Haiti...where a 60 knocked off all of their tip caps in a zone where a 53 had been earlier.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
why not pick up a person at night
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Everybody knows NO PAX OVERWATER AT NIGHT! ??
giphy.gif