• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Checkride Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotCPB

How big of a deal is a checkride in primary? Does it heavily affect the overall NSS? Also, what happens if an SNA busts a ride?
Thanks,
Chris

Rotorhead

Failing a checkride is an automatic board. Depending on your past performance, you could get the boot right there. Checkrides are a pretty big deal, as they should be. They are evaluating your ability to master the material in the given number of flights. Anyone can learn to fly, but how many can learn to do it in x number of flights? Thats the point.

Checkride grades arent weighed any heavier than other flights, but a screw up can get you the boot on a checkride. long story short - you have to screw up 3 regular flights to get sent to a board, among other ways.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
All of the above is true, unless you are in joing training w/ the AF. If you fail an AF checkride, guess what, no one cares b/c most people fail them. True story. Every Navy guy I knew at Vance in T-1s failed a checkride, and when we went to tell the Navy Liason he was like, so what. I have heard this is true for 37s as well. Now, fail 2 checkrides and its another story, but even then rarely do people get the boot.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
PilotCPB said:
How big of a deal is a checkride in primary? Does it heavily affect the overall NSS? Also, what happens if an SNA busts a ride?
Thanks,
Chris
I guess I am more comenting then giving word here but I don't think you get the boot after failing a check ride, not that I did. I knew plenty of guys who went through that and they said the "board" was their onwing, class advisor and the squadron CO. Not that sacary and if you were doing alright before it shouldn't be a prob. If you fail three you get to stand tall before the man. But even then I heard of plenty guys who came back from that. At any rate my info is second hand thank goodness and I select this thursday. :icon_wink

trt23

i know of a person that failed their solo check and finished primary with good enough grades to get a jet slot.

PilotCPB

Hey thanks everyone, I was just curious about the whole situation. I took my CFI checkride (civilian) last saturday and it went good for the most part, but I didn't pass. It was the checkride from heaven but I totally fudged everything at the very end. Oral exam went great, he said it was top 10%. Flight went well too, but like I said, I just got so tired at the end; it was an all day ordeal, and I was just drained at the end of the day. I'm going back Thurs. to finish it up. I wanna do the CFI thing and fly all summer, but I'd like to have an SNA slot by Mid fall.
Thanks again,
Chris

PilotCPB

bcw,
Yeah, everyone here pretty much said the same thing about the CFI ride. its just so much stuff to cover in one sitting. My oral was about 4 hours long or so. I'll have to get my multi and CFII this summer if I want to graduate, so I'm juet getting used to the idea of more checkrides, they really don't intimidate me anymore anyways. Good friend of mine got his ATP a few months ago, said it was an easy oral but the flight gave him trouble. He passed, but said it wasn't easy. By the way, how did you get all that flight time?
Chris

PilotCPB

Oh, forgot to ask this. What is the format like for a checkride on the military side? Is it much different than civilian style checkrides?
Chris

lockerboy

Yeah the initial CFI is a complete b!tch. The frustating part is that the ride is nothing more than a commercial checkride (just a different seat), which anyone half awake could pass. The FSDO guy who did mine basically told me that would be the last difficult checkride because as he put it "you don't fail the people that bring you the money" Without CFI's there would be no DE's.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
checkride in primary totally depends on who you get...may seem obvious but i had a totally relaxed guy and i passed. you'll give a "brief" on some things like emergency procedures, course rules and general systems knowledge. Then you'll do a thorough pre-flight pointing out the components and systems of the t-34 and how they work.. i.e. oil system, electrical, fuel etc. then you'll do a routine flight (same thing you've done in the last 3 flights) and go out to an area, do a spin, an approach turn stall, a HAPL (high alt power loss), LAPL (low alt power loss) then do a PEL (precautionary emergency landing) to a OLF (outlying field), do some full flap and no flap landings, do a LAPL(Pattern) and PEL(P) in the pattern, depart the pattern, rejoin course rules and come home for the homefield entry. You'll have to have thorough knowledge of EP's, systems, course rules, lost comm procedures, lost aircraft procedures, and some other stuff. But basically it is a safe-for-solo check. if you can make it out and bring her back safely you'll pass. you can stumble on knowledge and some procedures for spins,ATS etc. but still pass if you can come home safely. most important are your landings.

Status
Not open for further replies.