• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Checkride Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My checkride preflight went like this.... my instructor went to get something to eat as I went out to the aircraft... he came out and asked if I needed to get anything to eat. I said "yes" and so he took over the preflight while I went to get some food. I came out and he didn't ask me anything about aircraft systems nor have me point anything out at all. Virtu is right by saying it "totally depends on who you get."

mmkk111

My checkride experience was very similar to Kmac's. I was number two of a quick turn. When the IP got back, we went out to the plane and he had my strap in while HE did the preflight. No questions what so ever. For once I was actually ready to nail anything he was going to ask, but I wasn't complaining either. After we got out to the area we did a PEL into the pattern first and took care of the PPEL(P), LAPL(P), and some NF/FF bounces and then headed out for spins and ATS's. After my last ATS he gave me a HAPL and my flaps got stuck down, so I couldn’t clean up. At first I was thinking to myself, "How the hell did he do that from the rear cockpit?" Then it hit me, "oh....they're actually stuck down, sh!t I'm going to have to do this all over again!" I called approach and told them our situation and then got vectors for a straight-in and flew home at a very slow 120Kts. Never did a home field entry or a break at an OLF. He asked me as we taxied in if I would get lost coming home on course-rules. I told him "Nope." He said "Cool, have fun on your solo." I was just happy I didn't have to do it again.

So it just comes down to the instructor.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
On mine I couldn't land at all. It was very gusty (20-25 kt gusts) and it took me like 10 attempts to get 3 landings in and one of those landings was, er, um, not something I would write home about. All the other attempts were waveoffs that I innitiated. Since I was doing what I was suposed to do on the waveoffs, and I was able to prove that I could land, my IP was sastisfied and passed me (the area work had gone VERY well). Another guy I knew had a similar ride and his IP failed him under virtually the same conditions. So yes, it comes down to the check pilot, heck, even in the AF (whose checkrides are total BS jobs designed to be easily failed by even the best students) if the check pilot is sastisfied, you'll pass.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know this is a primary board, but my Kingsville solo checkride was somewhat similiar. I had a reservist LCDR take me up out in the area to do some high work. I wasn't performing my best and I was a little worried about how it would turn out. Anyway, after a short period of time, the instructor took the controls and just flew around for at least 15 minutes. I was sitting there watching him screw around with the aircraft. Had I already failed? It turns out that I had passed and he just wanted to fly around a little bit. It was such a short checkride that I was expecting the worse.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
A guy in my class went inverted on his ATS recovery and he still passed....lol and he had the worse guy in the Sdrn to have for a checkride.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
I know this is a primary board, but my Kingsville solo checkride was somewhat similiar. I had a reservist LCDR take me up out in the area to do some high work. I wasn't performing my best and I was a little worried about how it would turn out. Anyway, after a short period of time, the instructor took the controls and just flew around for at least 15 minutes. I was sitting there watching him screw around with the aircraft. Had I already failed? It turns out that I had passed and he just wanted to fly around a little bit. It was such a short checkride that I was expecting the worse.

If I had been your IP at any stage Kmac, I would have hammered you.....just because :D

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got Terry to do that. So far my training from SERE has helped me EVADE that one. I can't say the same for my classmates...

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
We had a female that went OCF like 3 times on her PA check and was still passed (VT-2). The instructor explained that she probably had more experience with OCF flight than any of her peers and applied the correct recovery controls each time...so why down her?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
I've got Terry to do that. So far my training from SERE has helped me EVADE that one. I can't say the same for my classmates...

This is true. Every sim flight with him is equal to a check ride times two. Have fun :icon_smil

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hell, I broke the airplane in the first 10 minutes of the flight and I still passed the checkride. Of course the first time I ever oversped something had to be on a checkride....hooray. Oh well, everything works out.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
squeeze said:
Hell, I broke the airplane in the first 10 minutes of the flight and I still passed the checkride. Of course the first time I ever oversped something had to be on a checkride....hooray. Oh well, everything works out.

Still can't believe that the guy passed you!!!! LOL lucky bastard...

First flight tomorrow man in the -57B

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
I won't tell you what I f'ed up on my check ride but other people have failed for less. In the end it was the fact that when I made my mistake I sucked it up, compartmentalized and moved on. When we returned he asked what I think he should do and I said fail me if you want I don't want you to worry about my solo I will just do it tomorrow and pass it, I am not worried. He passed me. I have yet to make the same mistake again but I also rocked the crap out of the brief and preflight and worked well on the high stuff and I can land the plane safely (number one concern). Definately my worst flight but it was confindence that got me through it in his opinion and compartmentalization. As long as you are still at the controls you are still training and the ride isn't a bust yet. Hope it helps.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
My checkrides have been among the easiest flights I've had yet. Why? I got my a$$ kicked around so much in the flight before that the checkride was a breeze in comparison.

Instructors are human too. None of them want to pass you on your end-of-block flight if they think you'll go right in and fail your checkride the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.