• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Checking into TW-1

gte544j

I'm a student checking into the wing at NAS Meridian this Thursday, just wondering what the expected uniform is, and if there's anything special I need to know before I show up. Also, what's the class-up wait looking like these days?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll get all the pool gouge when you show up. And checkin and classup are the only things you'll need khakis for. Oh, and be sure to get a squadron patch so you're not wearing a VT-whatever one on your flight suit.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you end up in VT-7, the United States Navy patch on the flight suit is a no-no, CO Hates it. Buy the "We Train Hookers" patch ASAP. I think in VT-9 you can't wear that one until you solo. Is that still the case nittany?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup. The old CO instituted that shortly after I checked in and bought the patch. Something about being able to take the jet out by yourself before you can wear the patch for it. In VT-9, you'll get one when you get your solo certificate, though given the rate those are coming out these days, you'll probably be in forms by then . . . :icon_tong

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Yup. The old CO instituted that shortly after I checked in and bought the patch. Something about being able to take the jet out by yourself before you can wear the patch for it. In VT-9, you'll get one when you get your solo certificate, though given the rate those are coming out these days, you'll probably be in forms by then . . . :icon_tong

I don't think we get a solo certificate until we wing. I know I haven't received one and I've solo'd quite a few times by now.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I don't think we get a solo certificate until we wing. I know I haven't received one and I've solo'd quite a few times by now.

Okay then I retract the editorial comment. It's just kind of a low-on-the-priority-list thing, we got ours a couple AOMs down the line. Funny part was some of us had already bought the patches and started wearing them (we were in early forms by then anyway) and got razzed at the AOM when the skipper gave us another. Oops! :D

gte, you'll get a squadron assigned but things can and do change. I was originally supposed to class up in 7 and got switched to 9. Looked kinda dumb after muster that morning wearing a VT-7 t-shirt, a VT-9 patch and a VT-3 nametag . . .

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Okay then I retract the editorial comment. It's just kind of a low-on-the-priority-list thing, we got ours a couple AOMs down the line. Funny part was some of us had already bought the patches and started wearing them (we were in early forms by then anyway) and got razzed at the AOM when the skipper gave us another. Oops! :D

gte, you'll get a squadron assigned but things can and do change. I was originally supposed to class up in 7 and got switched to 9. Looked kinda dumb after muster that morning wearing a VT-7 t-shirt, a VT-9 patch and a VT-3 nametag . . .

By we, I meant VT-7.

Yeah, I was assigned to VT-7, then VT-9, then back to VT-7 by the time I actually started.

Last I heard, there is no pool, maybe 2 weeks at most, which is awesome. I waited 6 months, yes 6 months, to start.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
So now you're trying to tell us that you are a Marine waiting to start at South Park, are ya?

Funny you mention that. There is now a push for the Navy guys here to complete ASAP... and the Marines are low low priority now. Go figure.

KBayDog

Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows. The Navy bubba I selected with (who classed up immediately) will be halfway through training before I check into the HTs.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Ebbs and flows, ebbs and flows. The Navy bubba I selected with (who classed up immediately) will be halfway through training before I check into the HTs.

And to think, when I selected, Navy guys weren't moving at all, in the jet pipeline and the helo pipeline. Love it.

Chubby

Are there any differences between the two squadrons (7 and 9)? I know you don't have a choice in which one you are assigned, but I was curious as to what the gouge was.