• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Charging people money to become a fighter pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Some Guy said:
Can a college graduate (assuming he majored in engineering/tech. degree and completed AFROTC) go straight to TPS at Edwards or must he meet certain qualifications first in becoming a test pilot (expiremental).

How about being a pilot?

*sigh* He goes to ERAU in Prescott...

edit: I found an even better one. This is my last one and I am done for the night!

wyldechild said:
hi i'm planning on going to the USNA and become an officer in the marines. I understand that the F-35 will be entering service in 2012. if i go into the USNA right after high school i would enter flight school in 2011. my question is will i still get training for the f-35 or should i wait another year before entering usna?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Wow...finally looked at the site. What a retard-a-thon. Agree w/ Brett - where's P.T. Barnum?

MasterBates

Collecting money from the site, I think.

Guy is either a total tool (belives his BS), or a genius (PT Barnum-esque)

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Wow...finally looked at the site. What a retard-a-thon. Agree w/ Brett - where's P.T. Barnum?

Pardon me for interrupting, but is it really fair to call what mostly appears to be a bunch of high school kids who happen to worship the ground that you guys walk on "retards"?

I know when I was in high school I wasn't always the sharpest knife in the drawer, and more than likely neither were any of you. So make fun of Mr. Rush all you want but how about cutting the kids some slack?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
while i too think his gig is pretty comical and is a great topic at the fighter bar, "Head" Rush is extremely talented at his day job → flying F/A-18's and instructing students & fleet Marine Hornet pilots as a MAWTS IP. as i previously mentioned, i know him, and i have sit through several of his MAWTS F/A-18 lectures & briefs over the last few years ... he knows his job very well, better than most fleet Hornet pilots out there. if people are naïve enough to buy into his bullshіt, then so be it. don't hate on the man if he's making money off of other people's ignorance ... it sounds like your jealous. besides, there are a lot of people out there making money off of ignorant people.

all that being said, i can't wait to see him again and ask him what the fυck he's doing (and how much $$ he's making)

Goober

None
Pardon me for interrupting, but is it really fair to call what mostly appears to be a bunch of high school kids who happen to worship the ground that you guys walk on "retards"?

I know when I was in high school I wasn't always the sharpest knife in the drawer, and more than likely neither were any of you. So make fun of Mr. Rush all you want but how about cutting the kids some slack?

Actually I was referring to the guy running it, not the kids. Lighten up - welcome to a Navy/Marine Corps ready room. If I'm actually pissed about something, you'll know; otherwise it's all meant in good fun.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
while i too think his gig is pretty comical and is a great topic at the fighter bar, "Head" Rush is extremely talented at his day job → flying F/A-18's and instructing students & fleet Marine Hornet pilots as a MAWTS IP. as i previously mentioned, i know him, and i have sit through several of his MAWTS F/A-18 lectures & briefs over the last few years ... he knows his job very well, better than most fleet Hornet pilots out there. if people are naïve enough to buy into his bullshіt, then so be it. don't hate on the man if he's making money off of other people's ignorance ... it sounds like your jealous. besides, there are a lot of people out there making money off of ignorant people.

all that being said, i can't wait to see him again and ask him what the fυck he's doing (and how much $$ he's making)

Well, I'm back from the club and Head isn't in the Corps any longer. I did talk to some of my buds in the Hornet shop, and they all have about the same opinion that I do regarding his site. He's perfectly legit, everything he says about himself is true, and he has a right to say anything he wants and charge people to listen. Evidently he was taking huge amounts of abuse from his bros (welcome to Naval Aviation) but is perfectly content to make his money off his accomplishments. If he wants to sell his dignity $100 at a time, good for him. I think it's cheesy as hell, but I believe in the phrase "Don't hate the Playa....Hate the Game".

As far as the "kids" on his site go, they seem to be a collection of the know it all wanna-bes rather than legitimately interested young folks that come to this site to learn, as opposed to running their sucks. Think 1000 Integers all discussing their knowleges with College Guy.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
....Lighten up - welcome to a Navy/Marine Corps ready room...
Good analogy. And ah, the memories.:D
Entering a Brand X Ready Room (and no one can ever know what monsters might lurk there) - or peddling yourself on the internet - is like crossing the River Styx, without Cerebus to warn you.

Anyway, those who can't stand the heat (and burning flames) of the mostly-but-not-always-in-fun, Ready Room Kitchen, ought to stay out of said kitchen.;)

"That Guy"

OK...for the record, I AM THE GUY THAT YOU ARE ALL TALKING ABOUT.

So...hang with me for a few minutes. And, imagine the following...

You put up a website with a good bunch of information. Next thing you know you start getting a string of very interested e-mails with some very solid questions...come to find out that no one realy knows how to get into a flight program, and the recruiters sure aren't sharing any info (imagine that).

So, a whole world of very qualified candidates end up driving trucks because the SSGT down at the recruit depot told them that the "enlisted route" was the way to go.

Then, due to demand, you spend a good bit of your very limited spare time writing a book that you really feel is going to help people. The e-mails really start to pour in...about 50 a day. You decide to record another 5 CDs to answer the most common questions that you get everyday. You put these up for sale, for a pretty fair asking price (for a book, 5 CDs/MP3s, and 6 Reports).

After all of that, you pretty much make about minimum wage hour for hour for your efforts and get to read about how it's all a scam -- from people who should know better.

So...getting to my point. I saw a need and actually did something about it. Kinda one of those Marine Corps virtues right?

As far as the money goes, I am currently on terminal leave and can say from the bottom of my honest Marine heart that this particular project (even when combined with a reserve job) will NOT EVEN COME CLOSE to paying the bills. (In comes conference speaking -- yes the Tony Robbins bit -- btw, that particular speech you saw was initially a no-fee job to a group of referees that I was teaching).

Starting to get the picture? I do this to help. I am not sure how much the critics here know about web publishing, marketing, etc...but it ain't cheap.

And if you want a list over a couple hundred long of people who have taken my advice and made it work, let me know. Until then, I recommend that some of the critics here use THEIR valuable time actually DOING something instead of criticising those who do.

Semper Fi,
Ed Rush
http://www.fighter-pilot.org

P.S. Oh...and this one really cracks me up...the reason I found this thread -- I just had someone buy one of my books and said that he saw info about me on this Air Warriors post. Only in America...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK...for the record, I AM THE GUY THAT ... Only in America
Anyone that knows anything about web developing knows (or should have known) that it would only be a matter of time before you would find out about this thread. It's not too hard to figure out where your hits are coming from if you're using your web stats software correctly. And even if you don't, people should figure it would only be a matter of time before someone on here would be curious enough to buy something from you and reference AW.

I personally have no problem with what you're doing. So long as the information you put out is factually correct and not an exaggeration of reality, go for it. One thing I know both from personal experience and observing and answering questions here is that people crave information. That's why I started this site in March '99.

Answering peoples questions for the last 7 years has told me one thing. The questions don't change and people simply don't know what they don't know. Recruiters don't have time to answer all the specific questions a candidate can have. A little over two years ago, I too saw a need to put something a bit more tangible in place for people to refer to for their questions. I decided then I was going to write a book on commissioning programs. Only a few people know I've been working on this book and I've had extremely positive feedback from those who I've conferred with.

You're correct. Putting a book together is no easy task. You should be compensated for your time and effort. But like I said before, it should be factually accurate and not exaggerate reality. It's a two prong test, IMO.

Starting to get the picture? I do this to help. I am not sure how much the critics here know about web publishing, marketing, etc...but it ain't cheap.
I may one of the few people here that believe you do it to help. If you love doing it and can make a living doing it fulltime, have at it. I'd be curious to know what your expenses are for the web publishing, marketing, etc. It shouldn't be very much.

--Steve

Goober

None
Yes, but "help" doesn't cost $147. Help is free advice/direction to save someone some pain. "I see you're injured and have a sucking chest wound. I can help. That'll be $147 for the next 30 mins of power-packed help."

At $99 a pop for the "Power Pack CD Version," any comparison to minimum wage would come out at a little over 19 hours worth of effort (based on Federal $5.15). I'll give you that it's not a quick, throw-it-together weekend project, i.e. "I think maybe I'll re-caulk the tub in the hall bathroom on Saturday then put together a how-to on the fighter world." Yeah, there's effort involved; and yeah, your time is worth something in return. Thing is, once you've recouped your expenses for time and supplies, etc., you're profiting. It's not a fair assessment to compare the money from this and a reserve gig's paycheck to whatever your active pay was (or the associated expenses of this project). If you made it to MAWTS, I'll take the leap of faith that you're good at the VMFA thing and have left the service by choice.

I think what many of us here might take exception with is the impression that a simple "Fighter Pilot Fast Track" exists. You should know better that it doesn't. Did you expend blood, sweat, tears, pain, etc. in getting through the VT/RAG/Fleet? Of course you did. We all did. But to imply that all you simply need to do is buy a CD compilation and follow the bouncing ball is ludicrous. We all know that selection varies weekly, and that the vast majority of NA's/NFO's will in fact NOT be fighter/jet guys (unless you're a Marine NFO, in which case you get a huge selection of two choices - Drumsticks or D-models). Personally, I chose to be an NFO; and what's more, I chose to be an E-2 controller. No one will ever confuse my death-dealing frisbee of doom with a lawn dart; but this illustrates my point that most guys (some by choice, some by fate) won't be doing the fighter thing.

As for the masses who end up driving trucks, not everyone is qualified nor are they entitled to anything. I spent 8 years in the trenches before earning my commission because I was too preoccupied when I was in high school. My fault. I ended up getting Uncle Sam to pay for school, but not the easy way. Through whatever route, we all found the right people and asked the right questions and jumped the right hoops ourselves to get where we are. It's an exclusive club for a reason. I've got pretty good reading comprehension, but just because I shell out for a few books on brain surgery doesn't mean I'm cut out to go rooting around in someone's head. There's significantly more work involved in it than that.

This isn't an "us vs. them" thing, but we dish out advice/help/direction to prospective military officers in all branches (albeit primarily N/MC) every day vice prospective fighter pilots, but none of us has ever offered a credit card or PayPal option in return. That's just how I see it.

"That Guy"

1) Tell ya what. Walk into Barnes and Noble. Grab a book, 5 CDs, and 4 pamphlets at random...walk up to the counter and boldly say, "Ring me up!"

How much is that going to cost ya?

2) I have no problem with the "enlisted route" nor with "the trenches"...I do have a problem with well-meaning, well-qualified candidated not knowing their options.

3) There once was a day when people who had issues with other people would sqauare them away by talking man-to-man. The internet changed that and has now given us all a chance to rant and rave behind relative anonymity (you'll notice my full name here at the bottom). So, lest we pound away at the keyboards all week, I'll tell ya what...

E-mail or PM me with your name and # or just ask for mine. If you feel you have a legitimate gripe, we can talk man-to-man...that goes for anyone here. I have nothing to hide and I obviously feel that my cause is right...

4) About the money. Over 2000 young men and women get a load of free info from me via e-mail and never buy a thing. Do I have a problem with that? Nope...happy to help. To date, every serious candidate who told me that they did not have the money to buy, but still wanted the book, got one for free. Once again...happy to help. (And as we speak, there are about 20 unanswered e-mails in my inbox while I type away here at 2am...sweet...thanks for that).

It's easy to be a critic...and much harder to actually DO something.

Semper Fi,
Ed Rush

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Caveat emptor....if people are stupid enough to believe they can be a fighter pilot for a 100 bucks, they deserve to lose the 100 bucks.

The couple of Marines on here that know something about him don't seem to have a problem with what he is doing.

Captialism at its best....

dumbpeopletz0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.