• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of being a fighter pilot

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....to answer your question, VA-127 and VA-45 drew the majority of their pilots from the light (A-7E Corsair) and occasionally medium attack communities....
I don't believe these two squadrons flew the A-7 ... but the A-4 only. Maybe you meant some of the Corsair II drivers came over to the "light" ??? But then, since the Skyhawk was still strokin' and pulling it's weight, who needed A-7 drivers in an A-4 squadron... ????

NAS DALLAS Adversary was almost 90% former F-4 drivers. I can't speak for NAS CECIL, but I suspect once again that A-4 drivers coming off active duty or in the A-4 RAG would be heavily represented in an A-4 Adversary program ...

Which is kinda what I experienced -- few, very few former A-7 or A-6 drivers were represented in the Adversary role .... and as the A-7 and A-6 drivers were some of the "worst" dogfighters I saw on a continuing and regular basis, they didn't do their cause much good.

They thought they were good ... and they were in air-to-mud ... they just weren't that great in air-to-air. The A-7's standard defensive move was to depart the airplane (that's about all he had ... :)) and the A-6 didn't know how to turn right ...:) .... again, just my experience talking here ...

Plus ... the F-4 drivers didn't want 'em in there --- they wanted to save the Reserve flying seats for their "family" ... and it's understandable.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't believe these two squadrons flew the A-7 ... but the A-4 only. Maybe you meant some of the Corsair II drivers came over to the "light" ??? But then, since the Skyhawk was still strokin' and pulling it's weight, who needed A-7 drivers in an A-4 squadron... ????

These were "Instrument RAGs" and the A-4 by 1979 had been replaced by the A-7 Corsair in Navy Fleet squadrons so, like I said, they "drew" their pilots from A-7 Corsair squadrons because it was shore duty. If you were at Lemoore and liked being there, your shore duty cockpit choices were the A-7 RAG (VA-122) or VA-127 flying the TA-4J as an Instrument RAG pilot and Adversary (after qualification). The heritage of VA-127 COs to that point were A-4/A-7 alums and when i flew with them in summer of 1979, they were 100% former A-7 drivers. Only folks still flying A-4s in the states at that point were Marines with A-4F and M variants 9and training command).

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
That's news to me. Since when is ONI "analyzing" SNA opportunites for F-35 seats. Folks in Millington care about this as does CNATRA because they have their hands on the pipeline controls. ONI??? Right!
I was being sarcastic. Sorry I didn't make it obvious enough.
I'm not even sure what ONI does.. I just figured that the last thing they would care about is "how many get jets" :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Only folks still flying A-4s in the states at that point (1979) were Marines with A-4F and M variants 9and training command).
And of course, those folks in the Navy ADVERSARY programs !!!! Reserves, TARs, etc. ... :eek:

The "instrument RAGs" were very poorly represented in the Adversary role in that (70's/early 80's) time frame, despite their PR, propaganda, and "creative unit histories". The VC's were always there and so was the Dallas det when it stood up in the late '70's -- but not much was heard from VF-126 or VA-127. Perhaps they had enough to do with target towing, instrument checks, and local ACM responsibilities -- but when it came time to go to Tyndal, Williams/Luke, Key West, Yuma, Nellis/Red Flag, or even up to Cold Lake -- 126/127 was conspicuous only by virtue of their absence.

They didn't do well on road trips ... at least not to the extent of the "others".
Like I said ... I'm not lookin' this stuff up ... I was there.

Lots of guys "talk the Adversary talk" ... it makes good FITREP bullets, looks good and sells drinks at the 'O Club bar .... but not that many walked the walk in those days, their CO's and Ops O's propaganda notwithstanding.

Why do you think the burned out 'ol drivers @ NAS Dallas were in such demand .... ??? 'Cause we'd go when called, that's why. :)

FastMover

NFO
None
...the A-7 and A-6 drivers were some of the "worst" dogfighters I saw on a continuing and regular basis, they didn't do their cause much good...

If you don't mind my asking, how did an A-6 hamburger such as your self :)icon_wink:D) get so good at ACM? Topgun?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If you don't mind my asking, how did an A-6 hamburger such as your self :)icon_wink:D) get so good at ACM? Topgun?
I just woke up one fine day and decided that being pointed straight up with zero airspeed and then sliding back down on your tail was not such a big deal after all .... and everything fell into place after that ..... :)

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
^^^

It's to bad most on here will never enjoy the fun of hanging in the air with some altitude and no air speed, watching your opponent do the same and wondering who will fall off first.

Even when you get your butt kicked by that other guy it is a fine way to spend an afternoon:

FastMover

NFO
None
*Note: USAF Aggressors were a victim of their own success and attitude and virtually banished for years, but have recently made a comeback at Nellis with the F-16 and now F-15 being used in an Aggressor role.

Those are some great looking birds. I read an article in Combat Aircraft a while back where they interviewed an Aggressor pilot from the 65th who had flown against the F-22. He said that they would basically brief, fly, get beat, fly some more and get beat. Lunch break, fly some more, get beat some more. It's amazing that these highly talented pilots flying one of the better aircraft in the world couldn't do much against the -22. I'm glad they're on our side....(the pilots and the Raptor)

F-15.jpg

80-0010_65AGRS_JMelampy.jpg

80-0010_2_65AGRS_JMelampy.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...*Note: USAF Aggressors (*and their FWS*) were a victim of their own success and attitude and virtually banished for years.....
AND .... they were frequently a victim of the Dallas Rangers as well .... old men and old airplanes -- fighting "our" fight and NOT theirs .... as more than once @ Nellis the whole field witnessed "the best of the best", Air Force style, coming back into the field on a day, VFR straight in, with their hook down ... i.e., "dragging their tail behind them..." as their CO said.

He made 'em do it. And I made him do it once .... :D

dallasadversaryjpeggh1.jpg