• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of being a fighter pilot

Rg9

pilot
Hey eagles1. I know your question is legitimate, but if you do some reading around here, you'll see that it's been asked many times. The problem is that the question cannot be answered. There are so many factors involved: getting into a commissioning program, being physically qualified, doing well in college, getting into flight school, doing well in flight school, needs of the Navy/AF/etc., timing, not to mention mere chance... Oh, and btw, the last three things on that list are the biggest factors.

I think you're on the right path by looking at the ROTC programs. Just remember, you are joining the military first, looking to be a military pilot second. You may not get a pilot spot, and should be happy doing something else in the military. In the mean time, do your best at everything and keep your priorities in order.

Good luck.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I dreamed of becoming a pilot ever since I was a little guy .... the proof:

momslittleaviator004smaid4.jpg

Sooooooooooooooooo......

I became a private pilot.

I became a Student Naval Aviator (a kind of pilot).

I became an Attack Pilot.

I became a "fighter" pilot (even mo' bettah ... as I was an Adversary pilot).

I became an airline pilot.

Dick & Jane wanted to become pilots. See Dick & Jane become pilots. End of story. It can be done.

Questions .... ?????
:)

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
It's always 42.
Right you are. I believe that's the current ONI estimate for the number of 2012 (2014 winging) SNAs that will be getting the F-35: 42%. I mean, their job at ONI is to figure things like this out, so that's probably a good estimate of the OP's chances.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Right you are. I believe that's the current ONI estimate for the number of 2012 (2014 winging) SNAs that will be getting the F-35: 42%. I mean, their job at ONI is to figure things like this out, so that's probably a good estimate of the OP's chances.

Even though I hear most people at ONI are pretty intelligent, that's not their job. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ONI

ONR or CNA might do that kind of work.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's news to me. Since when is ONI "analyzing" SNA opportunites for F-35 seats. Folks in Millington care about this as does CNATRA because they have their hands on the pipeline controls. ONI??? Right!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How common was it for an attack guy to leave that community to fly Adversary?
I didn't really "leave" Attack to fly Adversary as the Adversary flying (then) was mostly in the Reserves. I just left active duty. So perhaps it was not too common in the 'ol days, to answer your question directly ... and why??

I was an Attack puke.

I was ensconced in "Reserve Fighter Town" -- NAS DALLAS -- for my first Reserve slot after leaving active duty ... AND was an "Attack Puke" ... so my chances of becoming one more of God's gifts to aviation (a fighter puke :D) were slim and none -- I was told "we'll call you" even though I had a lot of A-4 time and that's what was being flown in the Adversary program. F-4 parochialism, fighter community paternalism, and at times, even the old small penis-syndrome were all at work ... if you know what I mean and I think you do ... :eek: .

The "call" didn't come, even though I paid my telephone bill religiously.

Then, I flew an airline trip with a Senior Captain (airline and Navy senior) who, unbeknown to me at the time -- became that "political friend" who only comes along once and a while and can make or break you -- and the skids were greased for yours truly in the Adversary role.

The phone rang. I got the "call" ....

I still had to "prove myself" ... Oh, did I ever ... but it's always easier to "prove" yourself when you're locked in the saddle calling "GUNS KILL" .... it does wonders for your credibility. :D

phrogpilot73

I was an Attack puke.

AND was an "Attack Puke" ... so my chances of becoming one more of God's gifts to aviation (a fighter puke :D) were slim and none

F-4 parochialism, fighter community paternalism, and a sometimes, even the old small penis-syndrome were all at work
To think, A4's post would prove that "Rotor Trash" are hung like whales.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How common was it for an attack guy to leave that community to fly Adversary?

The origin of the Navy Adversary squadrons came from Instrument RAGs at Lemoore, Miramar, Oceana and Key West. These squadrons, VA-127, VF-126, VF-43 and VA-45 operated TA-4J Skyhawks in the late sixties when the Navy Fighter Weapons School (aka TOPGUN) was established. They intially were used as dissimilar opponents because they were available and wanted to get into the game (flying aviators under the hood day after day for annual instrument check rides was their bread and butter). So, to answer your question, VA-127 and VA-45 drew the majority of their pilots from the light (A-7E Corsair) and occasionally medium attack communities. Eventually, they were redesignated VFA-127 and VF-45. In the decade of 1980-90, they began becoming more of a pure Adversary squadron than an Instrument RAG and the checkrides went away and Instrument refresher responsibilities went to the FRS. Eventually, the active and reserve utility squadrons (VC) got into the act and small dets at Ceceil and Dallas were established as well. The late mid to late eighties were the heyday of the Adversaries with the F-5E/F Tiger II and F-21 Kfir supplemented the tried and true Scooter as well as custom built F-16N Adversaries being introduced in 1987.

Unfortunately, the active duty Adversary component came under the budget ax in the post Desert Storm peace dividend bloodbath. Both the Air Force* (Aggressor in their parlance) and Navy active dissimilar units were savaged and today only the Navy and Marine reserves have managed to survive to perform this vital role with VFC-12, VFC-13 and VFC-111. As a sole active duty bastion, NSAWC operates F/A-18 Hornets and now has obtained the F-16A as well to support air wing training and the N7 (TOPGUN) classes. Each of these units have had "attack" pilots assigned as well.

*Note: USAF Aggressors were a victim of their own success and attitude and virtually banished for years, but have recently made a comeback at Nellis with the F-16 and now F-15 being used in an Aggressor role.

phrogpilot73

...today only the Navy and Marine reserves have managed to survive to perform this vital role with VFC-12, VFC-13 and VFC-111.
You forgot about VMFT-401, out of MCAS Yuma, AZ. Flew against those guys during WTI, DAMN it's hard to see the F-5E... I thought it was a bit funny that I had to pull into a hover and kick up some dirt before he saw me ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You forgot about VMFT-401, out of MCAS Yuma, AZ. Flew against those guys during WTI, DAMN it's hard to see the F-5E... I thought it was a bit funny that I had to pull into a hover and kick up some dirt before he saw me ;)

Correct, I was only calling out Navy units specifically. No slight intended to fine folks at VMFT-401