• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CCW on campus...a list of places where it can happen

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Bogey_spotter is right in some ways and the saying has some truth to it, but I disagree and would bet that even though locks are not completely effective, Bogey_spotter still locks his house and car. Gate guards may only keep those people out who would try to use the road to enter a base, but we still employ them as a measure. Passwords may only keep out honest people and those hackers who aren't good enough to get around them, but everyone of us uses them as a way to protect our personal data. I don't think anyone is claiming that restrictive gun laws stop gun crimes, but they can be an important piece of the puzzle.

OK, maybe the gate guards, locks and passwords are the same thing and not really effective at stopping the people with BAD intentions, however, if someone is sneaking around a gate guard on base or breaking a lock to get into something, then it becomes clear who the bad guys are.

I am not dumb enough to land on a paved runway with the gear up (hopefully :D), but I STILL use the landing checklist. 99/100 times it may be redundant, but it sure as hell makes me certain my gear is down for landing.

Is it necessary? Who knows.

My main point was that if we pass gun laws, then many law-abiding citizens will be unarmed and VERY FEW (if any) real criminals will be disarmed by it.

The laws only stop the criminals.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

What do our founding fathers have to say about the second amendment?

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

We established however some, although not all its [self-government] important principles . The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;
---Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. Memorial Edition 16:45, Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.
---Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American...[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

[W]hereas, to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them; nor does it follow from this, that all promiscuously must go into actual service on every occasion. The mind that aims at a select militia, must be influenced by a truly anti-republican principle; and when we see many men disposed to practice upon it, whenever they can prevail, no wonder true republicans are for carefully guarding against it.
---Richard Henry Lee, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

[W]hen the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man, who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually...I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers. But I cannot say who will be the militia of the future day. If that paper on the table gets no alteration, the militia of the future day may not consist of all classes, high and low, and rich and poor...
---George Mason at the Virginia ratifying convention June 2-June 26, 1788

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
And WTF does that refer to, Junior???

Wow!! Think you took that one wrong! I'm saying that the stuff he writes is only going to start a posting war with guys like us. You being the first to weigh in!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wow!! Think you took that one wrong! I'm saying that the stuff he writes is only going to start a posting war with guys like us. You being the first to weigh in!
Roger that! You gotta LOVE the internet w/ all it's associated interpretive pitfalls. Throttle back time for me. :eek:

Or not; and we can just keep pounding on guys like Flash-man. :D

MasterBates

Don't we flog Flash as the token liberal who is joyous that Affirmative Action made sure at least one Liberal Hinge would get promoted his cycle? :icon_smil

eye_malfunction

These campuses don't have real police? :eek: SDSU has real, sworn in cops.

We have real police at UCR too. Glad. Kids getting kidnapped off campus, robbed by crips, stabbed and shot, the last thing I want to see is a demented fat douche with a flashlight. Bring someone with a badge and a gun. Gun laws have never stopped criminals, they've only stopped upstanding citizens from protecting themselves.

[/endrant]

Cams1215

Besides, I thought that whole "right to bare arms" thing was about tank tops...like at the gym on base. What the f?

Oh Tbone you went there... always amusing, i was just hoping no one would go there... besides, the red tape that goes along with getting the permits for "bare arms" takes so much time...

you see what you did, you made me go there too... hahaha:D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Here's a possible reason to carry guns on "campus":

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]" ...One of the students, Yitzhak Dadon, said he shot the attacker twice in the head. "I laid on the roof of the study hall, cocked my gun and waited for him. He came out of the library spraying automatic fire," he said...."

[/FONT]
GUNMAN KILLS 8 at JERUSALEM SEMINARY

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
After the past two days I really wish I had the ability to carry on campus. In the past two days on my campus there has been two armed robberies, one with a knife and one with a gun. The sad thing is my school is normally pretty safe, and the part of the city we are in is pretty safe. This is on a campus were the campus police are state licensed and carry firearms.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I'm having a hard time figuring out what is so hard to grasp about this concept. This is a RIGHT, plain and simple. It shouldn't be open for debate. I don't care what the moron down the street may do. We have laws in place to prosecute him if he breaks them or a Darwin Award to give him if he bumps himself off.

The crying "Fire!" in a crowded theater excuse for limiting the First Amendment isn't a valid arguement. That is what civil liability is for. In my opinion the only thing that the Court should interpret about the Constitution is the definition of "the People". In my opinion if you are eligable to vote then you are one of "the People" and your rights should be guarenteed. I don't buy into the "mentally handicapped" shouldn't own guns arguement, because there is no hard definition of what constitutes "mentally handicapped". I don't buy into removing guns from the people who are charged with "domestic violence" for two reasons. One is that there is no hard definition of what "domestic violence" is and two if they did commit a crime there is already a proceedure in place to not allow them to own a gun. In another thread I posted about a friend of mine who was a police officer with the City of Pittsburgh, until his ex-wife filed a false domestic violence charge against him. He was cleared of the charge, but Pennsylvania has a law prohibiting someone accused of domestic violence from carrying a firearm. He is going to school right now to train for a new line of work. If we allow mental defect and domestic violence to be exceptions to our Second Amendment right, pretty soon we will all be accused of domestic violence or diagnosed with a mental defect.

The number of people here who are willing to allow their rights to be compromised for a so called "good idea" is amazing. If you give an inch, the Government will take a light-year.

We don't need gun laws, we already have laws in place to punish those who do the wrong thing with a gun. Breaking Virgina Tech's rules about carrying a gun on campus is probably the most minor offence that Cho comitted, yet it is the one that has resulted in the most publicity.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
We don't need gun laws, we already have laws in place to punish those who do the wrong thing with a gun. Breaking Virgina Tech's rules about carrying a gun on campus is probably the most minor offence that Cho comitted, yet it is the one that has resulted in the most publicity.

Just to be clear, are you advocating having absolutely zero laws pertaining to gun ownership. Like--literally--none?

Also, I think the broken law the received by far the most publicity was the murder of numerous people.

red_ryder

None
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Here's a possible reason to carry guns on "campus":

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]" ...One of the students, Yitzhak Dadon, said he shot the attacker twice in the head. "I laid on the roof of the study hall, cocked my gun and waited for him. He came out of the library spraying automatic fire," he said...."

[/FONT]
GUNMAN KILLS 8 at JERUSALEM SEMINARY

Israelis are hardcore. I'll say one thing though, they have a sterling reason to carry in their neck of the woods, and I bet they have a lot of respect for their weapons.

I guess when you're in constant danger of being under assault like that, you save your energy instead of going on a spree in some mall.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Just to be clear, are you advocating having absolutely zero laws pertaining to gun ownership. Like--literally--none?

Also, I think the broken law the received by far the most publicity was the murder of numerous people.

I think it comes down to the definition of "the People" in the Constitution. As I remember learning History "the People" is defined as a citizen of the US and has the right to vote. We remove the right to vote from some people if they have comitted certain crimes. These people in my opinion are not full citizens and would lose their right to bear arms. Other than that I believe that there should be "zero laws pertaining to gun ownership". Gun laws are redundant. Say you own an MP-5, if all you do is keep it for protection and take it out to the range to bust caps, nobody should have any problem with that. If you rob a bank with it then you broke the laws concerning bank robbery, a gun law isn't required to lock you up.

As far as Cho is concerned, the only time you hear about him now is when something happens with a gun on a college campus or if gun laws are being debated.