• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CCW on campus...a list of places where it can happen

schwarti

Contributor
Just saw that - I'll be interested to see where it goes. My college didn't even have armed security guards, despite having a school shooting in 1992.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Just saw that - I'll be interested to see where it goes. My college didn't even have armed security guards, despite having a school shooting in 1992.

Yeah, I knew a teacher who called security because a student in her class was threatening people with a knife, and the guys showed up with keys and flashlights!! wtf?:eek:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I knew a teacher who called security because a student in her class was threatening people with a knife, and the guys showed up with keys and flashlights!! wtf?:eek:

Chuck Norris doesn't even need keys or a flashlight. All he needs is his razor-sharp beard and a roundhouse to your face........

On a more serious note... I don't see how allowing guns on campus is any more dangerous than states with CHL (CCWs)... all it does is allow innocent civilians to carry weapons for protection....somehow the school shooters haven't been stopped up until now with school rules prohibiting guns, so I don't think it's going to work in the future either....:rolleyes:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
These campuses don't have real police? :eek: SDSU has real, sworn in cops.

My school had fat, unarmed smokers in golf carts and pickup trucks who had no jurisdiction outside of the campus grounds. If you see a blue siren behind you, just drive out the exit. :D

MasterBates

Campus security at my school, where we averaged a stabbing/mugging/rape or 4 a semester, was a bunch of rent-a-cops without guns. It was mostly a dog/pony show to make parents "feel safe" even though their kids went to school in the ghetto. (my parents never saw campus until my Sophomore year, when they were in town for my brothers wedding, they thought I was kidding about living in the ghetto)

Before a certain asshat took over, AND MADE IT A DRY CAMPUS we used to be able to carry. If I was going to be working late in the labs after dinner, I carried a 1911 in my backpack, and "armed up" in the head before leaving the building. After it was made taboo, most of us kept on carrying, although more discrete (think 32ACP and other pocket guns)

I used to be "meh" on guns having grown up in MA (and my mom is a hippy).

After a fraternity brother, who was armed quite likely saved my life (and a severe beat-down at the hands of Flintoids at the least) I became a believer in CCW and 2nd Amendment rights.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
These campuses don't have real police? :eek: SDSU has real, sworn in cops.
Most schools don't. Mine did, but I remember how they were very proud that they had full arresting powers but most of the time they just handed out speeding tickets.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
To give some information on the University that started this all, in Virginia, CCW is only prohibited by law at one school (Virginia Commonwealth University). At VT and all of the other universities in the state, CCW is banned by university policy but it is not illegal. Students can be expelled, professors can be fired, but the public can just be told to leave if they are caught. As we all know, the ban does nothing.

A year and a half ago some students tried to push to get legislation that they could not outright ban guns but the universities fought it and won.

As many of you have probably found out, we have sworn University Police officers. We even have a SWAT team that regularly trains. I was on the rescue squad when I was there and I had friends who served as volunteer SWAT medics who went in with the SWAT team. The PD paid to equip them and sent them out to get additional training. Overall, they were actually well prepared.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I think it really depends on the Campus population. UW-Madison had a population of enrolled students nearing 50k when you include the grad students. They also had real cops that were sworn in, carried guns, and gave speeding tickets :(

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I just can't understand the seemingly arbitrary line that is drawn at the entrance to a college campus. Why is it okay for me to have a gun at the grocery store, but not on campus?

I understand that it's really about any chance for one side of the gun control argument to carve out a little more territory, but when I see people being interviewed who are against guns on campus because they are afraid that, "the safety might be left off and it could accidentally fire" (saw this on last night's news), I wonder if they have any idea that the lady next to them at the grocery store might have a weapon as well.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I used to be "meh" on guns having grown up in MA (and my mom is a hippy).

Me too, but only because I did the whole Jr. NRA thing, got distinguished marksman, blah, blah. On my NRTOC rifle/pistol team... sorta just got ambivalent about guns. My wife had hounded me for years to get a gun in the house. My thoughts were that'd she'd more likely shoot me coming in from a late night flight that actually protect herself from the potential intruder. Then my son was born...

We were at the mall in Shreveport, LA when a group of gang-bangers walked by. I was holding my 4-year old's hand, the nearest 300 lbs. kid intentionally vectors over to body slam me with his shoulder and nearly crushed my kid! I had to restrain myself from jumping his @$$ because it was easily 5 to 1 odds, and my son had no where to go. I just stared him down while my mind was racing on where to throw my kid (cell phone kiosk? Ear ring kiosk, etc.) in case it got escalated. Not a rent-a-cop in sight. Big-E finally cocked his head and grunted with a "That's right Asian Man ...you'd better be scared o' me.." look and walked away with what I can only describe as his "boyz"; bandanas, baggy pants (probably hiding illegal guns in a 'no-handgun' mall), sideways ball caps etc....

I signed up for concealed carry that month. Now I'm active in IDPA and USPA. Which I recommend for anyone with a CCW.

Please don't read this as racist. It's just the facts of what happened. :icon_rage

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I just can't understand the seemingly arbitrary line that is drawn at the entrance to a college campus. Why is it okay for me to have a gun at the grocery store, but not on campus?

Academia. Read liberalist-ignorant bleeding heart anti-gun administrations.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I suspect it may be easier to have full-fledged armed police at the public universities. My state school had real police with statewide jurisdiction so you often saw them patrolling out in town where everyone including in the dorms lived.

At one of our NROTC cross-towns (also a state school), we had a guy who was on his way from his dorm to drill get arrested because he stopped to see a professor and forgot he was carrying his drill rifle. :eek: I think he ended up paying a $500 fine.