• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Caution to SNA/NFO prospects

RCArce01

No other community was open. Those designators take a much smaller number of candidates every year, and they fill up quickly after the fiscal year resets. And EOD doesn't take candidates unless they were enlisted EOD prior to OCS.

For the guy who graduated in Jan, what class were you? 05? The class before me and after me got hit hard too. If your class did so well, maybe they were being super strict earlier in the fiscal year due to excessive pro rec Ys. All I can speak to is what I saw personally.

My original post wasn't to scare anyone or say the sky is falling, just a tip to others to be 100% covered medically in case NAMI continued to hit hard.

Also, I don't know why aviators are in here, off topic, becausr I said being an officer is the overall goal. We clearly have differing opinions, please stay on topic.
Yeah I was in 05-16B, you were one of our candios, if your last name starts with an 'F' I do remember seeing you and a few others in student pool. I agree it's really too bad the way NAMI does things, killing dreams often without any explanation. For what it's worth, one of our class officers was originally SNA but got NPQ'ed for aviation a few months into flight school, now he's a SWO and said it was one of the best things that happened to him. Sounds like most people end up enjoying whatever community they get and don't feel too salty about it after the initial frustrations fade.

Flying is great, so is leading. I don't think it's right to astray aviation hopefuls (like you were) and saying being an officer, because if that was the case, there wouldn't be a lot of pilots or NFOs, just my thought :cool:

If I was trying to astray them, I wouldn't have ever made a post cautioning aviation hopefules to get themselves 100% covered in terms of medical lol. But, as has been pointed out by myself and others (who disagree with me), it is my *opinion* that becoming a naval officer is #1.

Yeah I was in 05-16B, you were one of our candios, if your last name starts with an 'F' I do remember seeing you and a few others in student pool. I agree it's really too bad the way NAMI does things, killing dreams often without any explanation. For what it's worth, one of our class officers was originally SNA but got NPQ'ed for aviation a few months into flight school, now he's a SWO and said it was one of the best things that happened to him. Sounds like most people end up enjoying whatever community they get and don't feel too salty about it after the initial frustrations fade.

That might be me ;) We'll see how all of us 02 NPQs feel about the designations in a few years. The only benefit to this is that we still have options of laterally transfering in order to experience more of what the Navy has to offer on the commissioned side.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Also, I don't know why aviators are in here, off topic, becausr I said being an officer is the overall goal. We clearly have differing opinions, please stay on topic.
FUCK YOU! I'll post whatever I want wherever I want. Just because you said something doesn't make it so, especially with your vast experience as an officer. I happen to think the dissenting opinions are on topic.

SWOdom is going to eat you alive.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
If I was trying to astray them, I wouldn't have ever made a post cautioning aviation hopefules to get themselves 100% covered in terms of medical lol. But, as has been pointed out by myself and others (who disagree with me), it is my *opinion* that becoming a naval officer is #1.

That might be me ;) We'll see how all of us 02 NPQs feel about the designations in a few years. The only benefit to this is that we still have options of laterally transfering in order to experience more of what the Navy has to offer on the commissioned side.

Here's a good website for you: www.sailorbob.com

FUCK YOU! I'll post whatever I want wherever I want. Just because you said something doesn't make it so, especially with your vast experience as an officer. I happen to think the dissenting opinions are on topic.

SWOdom is going to eat you alive.

I've already stated, several times, that it's MY opinion. I never said it was absolute, objective truth. It was merely my 2 cents. All I was asking was for us to stay on topic regarding NAMI and issues others may run into/how to avoid said issues.

I'm pretty sure the OP was one of @NavyOffRec 's applicants and scaring away all the other chicken littles out there.
Not sure how I'm trying to scare others away by advising them to get their ducks in a row.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've already stated, several times, that it's MY opinion. I never said it was absolute, objective truth. It was merely my 2 cents. All I was asking was for us to stay on topic regarding NAMI and issues others may run into/how to avoid said issues.

Not sure how I'm trying to scare others away by advising them to get their ducks in a row.

Welcome to the Navy. Sometimes things go your way... and sometimes they don't. Shit happens. Arguing with aviators here isn't going to help your case or whatever it is you're trying to make here.

Since you're a prior, please read this, eat your humble pie, and move on. Sailorbob awaits you.

https://jorules.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-prior-dilemma/

Welcome to the Navy. Sometimes things go your way... and sometimes they don't. Shit happens. Arguing with aviators here isn't going to help your case or whatever it is you're trying to make here.

Since you're a prior, please read this, eat your humble pie, and move on. Sailorbob awaits you.

https://jorules.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/the-prior-dilemma/

I was responding to people who were taking my opinion on being an officer personally, not "arguing with aviators". As you can see, other people had legitimate questions and responses. I've also had a handful of people PM me with questions and advice, all very polite conversations. I have not cursed out anyone, attacked anyone personally, etc.

This forum subsection is about OCS in general, and as such, I am allowed to comment on my experiences and try to help people understand various aspects.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

Thanks Ensign, I'll keep that in mind.

Sorry for your luck with NAMI. That being said, running around telling perspective aviators that they are "Officers first" is so cliche. As in overplayed and wrong cliche.

Thanks Ensign, I'll keep that in mind.

Sorry for your luck with NAMI. That being said, running around telling perspective aviators that they are "Officers first" is so cliche. As in overplayed and wrong cliche.

I had never heard it before, so if its overplayed, I apologize for mentioning it. I didn't realize it would offend so many forum users. I only meant that being NPQ'ed, while it sucks, should not be the end of your naval career. That was the smallest part of my entire OP, and it was a quick thought before I hit "POST".

I have been glad to answer questions from the soon-to-be candidates because I don't want them to deal with what myself and my classmates did. Only trying to help.

Austin-Powers

I had never heard it before, so if its overplayed, I apologize for mentioning it. I didn't realize it would offend so many forum users. I only meant that being NPQ'ed, while it sucks, should not be the end of your naval career. That was the smallest part of my entire OP, and it was a quick thought before I hit "POST".

I have been glad to answer questions from the soon-to-be candidates because I don't want them to deal with what myself and my classmates did. Only trying to help.

It's great you're trying to help a lot of hopefuls out there, and truly a bummer you got disqualified. I get what you're coming from, no bitterness or chip in your shoulder feel. But pilot_man brings up a good point of it is "cliche" to say that. For that reason, its wings or bust (for some of us OCS types).

MGoBrew11

pilot
Advice to prospective SNAs/SNFOs:

Go to OCS, follow your dreams and hope for the best.

If you get NPQed along the way and want to stay in, good on you. If not, don't feel bad about walking. There are plenty of good jobs elsewhere.

Aviator first mentality does not make you a bad officer. Officer first mentality does not make you a good officer. It's really about the quality of the candidate, not the mentality.

Austin-Powers

Advice to prospective SNAs/SNFOs:

Go to OCS, follow your dreams and hope for the best.

If you get NPQed along the way and want to stay in, good on you. If not, don't feel bad about walking. There are plenty of good jobs elsewhere.

Aviator first mentality does not make you a bad officer. Officer first mentality does not make you a good officer. It's really about the quality of the candidate, not the mentality.
You said it best, some people think it's a great place to earn your wings of shiny glimmering gold, on a silver platter.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
inabearsuit - here's my advice to you as a brand new Ensign. STFU, listen, and remember you aren't someone's wife - you're not entitled to always having the last word.

Crqpilot

Offering a different reaction, I'm glad this post was made. As someone who went through a bit of hell at MEPS and is trying to find any info on what dq's people at NAMI/when the DQ takes place at OCS, I find this helpful.
Best of luck inabearsuit.