• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Caution to SNA/NFO prospects

I haven't posted here since August, as I went off to OCS and classed up with 02-16. But at the time, a lot of people were cheering about the high pro-rec Y rate for SNA/NFO boards. For the boards last summer and beyond, we were looking at a 95% "Y" rate.

Not to burst anyone's optimism, but NAMI is absolutely destroying OCS flight candidates left and right. Our class (both divisions) lost half our aviator hopefuls due to NPQs. Some left and some re-designated. I was included in that mess, I was disqualified 18 hours before graduation. My "issue" wasn't an issue for Newport's flight surgeon. My records passed through every level until it go to the tippy top of NAMI, where it was sent back down. I was told by our surgeon that this is unusual.

The most common NPQ was for arm/leg/torso lenths (anthro), so I'm posting this to let future candidates know they should have their measurements triple checked, whether at MEPS or at the recruiting station. Numerous people were in awe when they got hit for the anthro NPQ when they had been told prior to showing up in Newport that they were good to go.

My personal warning is for priors or current service members on age waivers. Three of us on age waivers (within the bounds of our 29-year age limit) were given very strange reasons for non-waiverable medical issues. I won't go into actual medical details, but we were given very little information and no way to request second opinions or fight the disquals. Myself and another were dropped from aviation just before graduation, and the third candidate was dropped 3 weeks after while in student pool waiting for orders.

I still graduated on time, and spent 5 weeks in student pool until I was given orders as an 1160 (SWO). But I just want to caution SNAs/NFOs and to say please make sure you have every possible medical "duck" in a row. Also, make sure you have a back-up designation in mind just in case.

But remember, you are going to OCS to be a Naval Officer first and foremost.

Cals3390

Do you know what the standards were for the anthro disquals or perhaps where we could find that info? I'm a AD applicant so all of my medical stuff was done by an actual flight surgeon on base but it sounds like that's still not stopping NAMI.

Cals3390

Nevermind, I plead forgiveness from the Air Warrior gods, as I forgot there is a search function. Double checking my stuff now, haha

Cals3390

This is what I found using google and the search function here:

Copied verbatim from NOMI website...

ANTHROS
All aircrew applicants must meet standards to be considered for ejection seat aircraft. (SH: 32-41"; FR: 28" min; BKL: 21.9-28"; BLL: 36-50") Waivers will be considered for SNFO applicants who are below standards for BKL ONLY. Otherwise, waivers will not be considered for officer applicants who are outside the standards for anthros. Enlisted applicant aircrew who are outside the standard for anthros can be considered for a waiver to non-ejection seat aircraft only (Navy) or found PQ for non-ejection seat aircraft (Marine).

ANTHROS
Required for applicants. No Waivers.
Sitting Height (SH) 32-41 in.
Functional Reach (FR) 28 in. or more
Buttock Knee Length (BKL) 21.9-28 in.
Buttock Leg Length (BLL) 36-50 in.
BKL is the most critical measurement. If member does not meet anthro standards on initial measurement he must be retested three times by the AVT and the flight surgeon. Please pay attention--these are frequently missed by
examiners!
HEIGHT
Navy: 62" to 78" (M); 58" to 78" (F) for Commissioning in URL.
USMC: Minimum 66" (M) and 58" (F) for Commissioning.

Credit goes to Crowbar for this post back in....2003 it looks like but I doubt it's changed any.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
THIS!

Sorry for your situation though. It reminds me of a rumor I heard that the old 20/20 uncorrected standard for SNAs was simply a blanket pre-API attrition tool. (The standard when I commissioned was 20/40, thankfully)

Igloojam

pilot
Does any one have the updated Anthro measurements?

I'm well aware of the search feature however when the last 15 attempts to search returned "too many results".... Not to mention a post from 2007 isn't very current...

THIS!

Sorry for your situation though. It reminds me of a rumor I heard that the old 20/20 uncorrected standard for SNAs was simply a blanket pre-API attrition tool. (The standard when I commissioned was 20/40, thankfully)

Unfortunately, I think age waivers may be a blanket tool as well. I was told prior to making the pro-rec Y that they were not issuing waivers for prior. I was so happy to get one, but as it seems... all of us on waivers were chopped for unexpected reasons.

Sure, my life goal was to be a naval aviator... but NAMI knows best :p Oh well, the life of a black-shoe wearing SWO it is!

Igloojam

pilot
Unfortunately, I think age waivers may be a blanket tool as well. I was told prior to making the pro-rec Y that they were not issuing waivers for prior. I was so happy to get one, but as it seems... all of us on waivers were chopped for unexpected reasons.

Sure, my life goal was to be a naval aviator... but NAMI knows best :p Oh well, the life of a black-shoe wearing SWO it is!

Dude they're cutting priors over 27?

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation

Do you think you could possibly do a lateral transfer into Aviation?

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Can we be honest? I know some guys that only wanted to get in so they can fly, yes being a Naval Officer is important, but I know some people that signed up so they can be in the cockpit, and there's nothing wrong with that, whether as an NFO or Aviator.