• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Caution to SNA/NFO prospects

Dude they're cutting priors over 27?

No, I don't think its anyone on waivers, it appeared to be directed at those on the back end of the waiver. I graduated 3 weeks before my waiver would have ended, if that helps give you a timeline.

Can we be honest? I know some guys that only wanted to get in so they can fly, yes being a Naval Officer is important, but I know some people that signed up so they can be in the cockpit, and there's nothing wrong with that, whether as an NFO or Aviator.

Plenty of people have said this, but its the wrong outlook to have. Regardless of your designation, being a leader is your number one priority. If you care more about your specific job, your people will take a backseat, and you can't do that as an officer.

And no, I can't laterally transfer over because NAMI already disqualified me. I can apply for other designations after I qualify as a SWO, though. I'm not worried about any of that right now, however... just worried about getting my pin.

exNavyOffRec

big red... thanks... but we need something current as of 2013 min I think... in the meantime this should help... good find.

It isn't uncommon for instructions to not be updated for many years and that is what we had as a reference just a few years ago, the way to measure a person's arm isn't going to change much if at all.

I did a quick search and it looks like that is the current version.

Igloojam

pilot
No, I don't think its anyone on waivers, it appeared to be directed at those on the back end of the waiver. I graduated 3 weeks before my waiver would have ended, if that helps give you a timeline.

Plenty of people have said this, but its the wrong outlook to have. Regardless of your designation, being a leader is your number one priority. If you care more about your specific job, your people will take a backseat, and you can't do that as an officer.

And no, I can't laterally transfer over because NAMI already disqualified me. I can apply for other designations after I qualify as a SWO, though. I'm not worried about any of that right now, however... just worried about getting my pin.

ya bearsuit said it best... I get where A-powers is coming from... god forbid though you get DQed and redesignated without having any say (this can happen, at least it did in marines enlisted)... you're still expected to be a good officer regardless of your butthurt because you didn't get what you want...

Igloojam

pilot
It isn't uncommon for instructions to not be updated for many years and that is what we had as a reference just a few years ago, the way to measure a person's arm isn't going to change much if at all.

I did a quick search and it looks like that is the current version.

thanks offrec... completely understand... knowledge is power

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation

Leading is very important wherever you go, I'm sorry you got DQed man, hope everything works out in the SWO-World :D

exNavyOffRec

ya bearsuit said it best... I get where A-powers is coming from... god forbid though you get DQed and redesignated without having any say (this can happen, at least it did in marines enlisted)... you're still expected to be a good officer regardless of your butthurt because you didn't get what you want...

it doesn't happen in the USN for officers, you get a choice and one of those choices is to go home.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Can we be honest? I know some guys that only wanted to get in so they can fly, yes being a Naval Officer is important, but I know some people that signed up so they can be in the cockpit, and there's nothing wrong with that, whether as an NFO or Aviator.
He had to say that...he wanted to be a pilot and is now going to be a SWO. He needs to justify the suck.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Dude they're cutting priors over 27?
Despite any conspiracy theories, they aren't targeting anyone. They might be clamping down on the standards due to the high number in the pipeline, but that would be across the board and not targeting any group.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Plenty of people have said this, but its the wrong outlook to have.
Bullshit. There is nothing wrong with joining for a specific job and walking if that job goes away for some reason.

Regardless of your designation, being a leader is your number one priority.
Once you are commissioned and in a squadron, yes. Until then, your number one priority is to get your wings and training. And if you don't, you can take the option to walk. No one wants to be stuck in a job they didn't want. It doesn't make you a "bad officer" nor is there any other reason not to quit and go home if you are offered the chance rather than serve in a designator you didn't want.

I do agree that while serving in a leadership role, being a good leader is important. But trying to be the best pilot (or whatever) possible and caring about that as much as being a leader does not have to take away from your leadership. Nor does hating your job. None are not mutually exclusive.

If it's more important to you to be an officer than anything else - great. But I doubt that is the norm for those applying.

exNavyOffRec

I know it's bad to DOR – but could he have changed his designator NOT being SWO? EOD, Intel etc..

I believe now if a person needs to redesignate they get SWO unless they are NPQ for SWO then they can try for something else, most other designators only need a fraction each year compared to SNA/SNFO/SWO so a few people that redesignate into those small designators can mess up or push people to the next FY

Sonog

pilot

Hey man, we get paid to be pilots. All of that ground job/leadership stuff is expected of us, but at the end of the day our number one job is to do pilot shit. If someone's heart isn't into it because they can't fly then that's totally up to them if they want to DOR rather than redes. I would rather have someone driving the small boy who wants to be there when I'm landing on it than someone who was like "welp, I guess I'll just be a leader now"

RCArce01

I'm an SNA who commissioned on 22JAN and we only had 3-4 medical NPQ's out of almost 30 aviation candidates in my class. Obviously your mileage may vary, but it sounds like your class was an outlier if that many got NPQ'ed. That was by far my worst fear as I went through OCS since I'm on the small side.

For the record, I'm 5'7" 126 lbs and got "restricted" from C-2A and SH-60B due to my 21.54" BKL measurement (0.46" short), and another in our class is 6' 5" 245lbs and still got his NAMI letter about an hour before graduation. Word is I can do some squats to try and work myself off the restricted list for those aircraft as well if I so desired. Point is, if you're pro-rec SNA/NFO right now don't start losing your minds. One of our NPQ's redesignated to IW while I think the others could do Supply, SWO, or DOR.