• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

*Caution* New tests are out and I was the guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RA0203

Roll and bank are essentially the same thing. Roll is a motion about the longitudinal axis of the aircraft; bank is more or less the state the aircraft is about that same axis. For example if the airplane is rolling to the left the airplane is entering a left bank.

The purpose of flaps is to increase the lift produced by the wings. For the purposes of the ASTB flaps should not be related to roll or bank.

I am not sure what you are refering to with elevation. The only thing that come to my mind is that elevation is substituting for altitude. In that case the horizontal stabilizer doesn't really apply. The horizontal stab is for longitudinal stability. Perhaps you were looking at the question in the wrong context.

With your earlier question about the Tip Vorticies, tip vorticies are a product of a finite wingspan. They occur at all times during flight for all airplanes with fixed wings, not just heavy lifters at low altitudes. They are a result of lift, most generally, but more specifically it comes from the high-pressure air under the wing moving around the wingtip to the low-pressure air on top of the wing. Tip vorticies can cause turbulence for aircraft flying behind another and in some case can cause that trailing aircraft to stall.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
FlyinHigh said:
where can i get some good gouge on the ASTB in particular the SA part?

The Military Flight Aptitude book from ARCO worked good for the SA portion. The pictures look a litle different, but its basically the same stuff.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
Here is a supplemental aviation/nautical guide I put together for myself. It would come in more handy on form 3 than form 4 but either way it was a big help to me.

Attachments

• ASTB new study guide.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 325

Slammer2

Contributor
leatherneck82 said:
Here is a supplemental aviation/nautical guide I put together for myself. It would come in more handy on form 3 than form 4 but either way it was a big help to me.

That looks like good stuff. It's real similar to stuff that was on there. Good job

FlyinHigh

thanks guys, i need to brush up on some of the pittly details. I have a book that has most of those questions and answers in it called Learning Express "Military Flight Aptitude Tests." Anyone know where i can get some extra practice of SA besides that ARCO book id hate to pay 25.00 for just the SA section? Also was form 4 mostly aviation like form 3 and just a lil bit of nautical stuff? Thanks again.

Slammer2

Contributor
FlyinHigh said:
Anyone know where i can get some extra practice of SA besides that ARCO book id hate to pay 25.00 for just the SA section?

Gotta love using the book stores like a library. See if you can find a Borders of somewhere where you can go in and sit down and read stuff and take a pencil and notepad. Really, this was the only book where I was able to see an example of this test. Although, 25 bones is worth it if you'll get a good score on the test. I searched online for a while, and maybe I suck at it, but couldnt find any sample tests.

Slammer

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Just took got done with version 3 about an hour ago. Here's what I found out...

Math - Nothing surprising. Similar to the guide off this site, and the ARCO book. Study those two, and you'll do fine. Only section that I was pressed for time on. Finished with about 30 sec. left.

Reading Comp. - Seemed to be easier than the ARCO book. In the ARCO book there's different types of questions (I.E. what word is used wrong, and pick the one in it's space. or the paragraph above would best be described with the folowing sentance, etc). Well, on the test, they were all the same. You just had to pick out the answer that best described the paragraph or quote. Don't worry. There not long either. I had plenty of time on this test.

Mechanical Comp. - Again, the guide on this website and the ARCO book will serve you well. Nothing surprising. Only one or two electrical questions that I can remember. Make sure to know V= I*R (Ohm's Law). It was on there.

Spacial Apperception - The little plane in the picture, and the picture itself is different, so that took a minute to get used to. It was 15 minutes for 25 questions. I had time to go over them all twice. The angles are little harder to tell, but just use the process of elimination. If it's banking right, diving, and going towards the sea, rule out the ones banking left first. Then rule out the ones going towards the land. That'll usually narrow down to two or three if you can't get it right off. If you study it well enough, though, you should be able to tell what it is without looking at the answers, so all you have to do is find the right one. One thing I did realize though. The ARCO book has the depiction of you going to "down the coastline" as half the sea on the right/left and the land on the other half. I don't remember one "down the coastline" option on the SA. They were either, out to sea, towards land, or out to sea/towards the land at a diagonal. Study them well, and you'll have plenty of time to go back over the to double check.

Aviation.Nautical - This was the section that had the most "I'm not sure" guesses on it. Both the questions about rules of the road were on there. Know what the standard barometric pressure at sea level is. 29.92. If two comm. radios go out, what will the reading on the transponder show? The answers were 7500, 7600, 7700, 7800. Didn't know that one. That's all I can remember.

Aviation Supplemental - A good mixture of all the tests except SA. I do remember a geometry one dealing with SIN. Easy. The Captain told me before this section that there were two that would not be graded. Indeed, those two were hardly even understandable. One was that one about the number is closest to, but there was no number to compare to. When you make it this far into the ASTB, it's all down hill. I didn't find this section to be real hard. Basic nautical terms like bulkhead, forecastle, control tower. Aviation terms like what color are the lights on the taxiway. Blue. There was a few more Reading Comp. and two or three Mechanical ones. One math one that I remember was:

2xsq. + 5x - 3
------------- = 8, solve for x.
x + 3

Overall, I feel very confident in how I did. Thanks to all the gouge on this site, and the ARCO study guide, I think I made what I needed to to get the air contract. Thanks again, and hopefully I've helped out. I know I've taken a lot from this site, so I'd like to give back my share.

While I was going over my SA for the second time, my OSO was talking to a guy that just graduated seniors on speaker phone. It was motivating. I'm out.

leatherneck82

Manassas IFS
FlyinHigh said:
Learning Express "Military Flight Aptitude Tests."

Thats what I used to make the study guide. Learning Express is a lot better than Arco. What I did (and most colleges have them) is I ordered the Learning Express book through inter-library loan. In other words my library did not have any ASTB study books but in most places you can get on a computer and place a loan through another library (I got mine from Scott Air Force Base library) and they send it to your library. So don't think you have to spend any money on a book you'll never need after the ASTB.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I got my results back from the OSO today. 5/6/6. That qualifies me for Aviator and NFO. Thanks all for the help on the newer version of the ASTB.

Rosy

From reading all the ASTB test results and responses, it appears the gouge on this web site in no very applicable to the new ASTB. I have been studying the ARCO manual (2000 edition) and cliff notes purchased from Barnes and Noble. The mechanical section is much more difficult from the gouge and seems more realistic test material.
I am pursuing aviation in the OCS class 189 for June '05. Does anyone know the percentage of aviators that are selected for OCS? I know the Air Force is aroung 25% at the last board review.

FlyinHigh

Thanks To All

I just wanted to say thank you to all the people that posted on this thread and helped me out with the questions I had. Got my results back from my second test and got 7/7/7 so I contracted SNA and hoping for selection. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.