• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier-borne mid-range ASW revival?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
With that in mind, my next stupid idea would be to outfit some of the Constellation-class frigates

That's where the other half of those Romeos already are/would be.

On a serious note, has the idea of modular payloads to hybridize the two mission sets of the MH-60s ever been tossed around?

Oh, you!

The ability to go full "truck." Blackhawks can be ~2k lb lighter than most unladen Seahawks. This would provide more fuel/cargo trade space.

They already have this. Didn't you read the 1996 pamphlet on the Romeo capabilities? It's in the paragraph right before the one talking about those SNAs starting flight school at the time will be deploying with Romeo as JOs!!!!!!!!

#commoncockpitpanacea

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
About half of those HSM birds aren't on the carrier already, though, so you're still crunched for space.

I'd take a look through these two threads. The second one isn't about FVL exactly, but there's some cross-pollination between the two.
One of the key elements of FVL is maintaining MOSA—Modular Open Systems Approach. The whole idea is to make adding new gear much more like adding an app to your phone than a massive integration problem

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Great talk, but this is a very realistic issue the Navy needs to have. It is hands-down arrogant for the guys with stars to pretend that carriers aren’t in danger from submarines. I don’t have the answer but a ton of careers are going to be ruined (and a lots of good people dead) for the sake of “money and deck space.”

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Are you selling us oceanfront property in Arizona where we can park the Poseidons and Seahawks afterwards?:)
I watched CBS This Morning and saw the segment on AI and military aviation. The guy from Sikorsky put it sadly, but probably accurately, that “you don’t need a pilot, just an operator. That means we won’t need pilots to park them in the desert but I wonder if the AI will get bored out there?

robav8r

None
Contributor
The problem with our "middle zone ASW" problem, is the same problem we have in DoD acquisitions overall. The Defense Industrial Complex has given us a commercial airliner (x2) as a solution for the Navy's long range MPR requirements (P-3 - Lockheed Electra, P-8 - Boeing 737-800). The defense industry tail wags the DoD requirements dog.
One of the key elements of FVL is maintaining MOSA—Modular Open Systems Approach. The whole idea is to make adding new gear much more like adding an app to your phone than a massive integration problem
P-3C NAV/COMM trigger alert !!! ?

??????????????

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Evidence that this is the case?
Evidence, no, just the apparent lack of appropriate equipment. I know it takes time to field the right equipment and I equally admit that I have no idea how far along real solutions might be. But I still reserve my right to comment on it.

IRfly

None
Are you selling us oceanfront property in Arizona where we can park the Poseidons and Seahawks afterwards?:)
Gonna be a crowded lot—if a Pacific war ever starts in earnest, short-legged Sikorskis will be standouts, and not in a good way.

Better question: where are they gonna park all the former P-8 NFOs when old guys start doing their job out of trailers in Jax?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Evidence Brett?

Does someone with your background and experience need "evidence" that the RUS/PRC submarine threat is not credible against CVNs/CSGs ???
That wasn't the matter being debated. The implication I'm pushing back on is that the demise of the S-3 = a lack of capability to defend the CSG against adversary submarines... and that senior leaders are somehow oblivious to the sub threat. Spend a day with the right INDOPACOM staffers and you'll quickly be disabused of that notion.