• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier-borne mid-range ASW revival?

Reviving the deck space topic: I stumbled upon a few USNI proceedings as well as the April 2023 Force Structure and Shipbuilding Plan. A call to study the efficacy of a potential modification of “0-6” future Ford or America class ships as a CVL was proposed. Most conjecture hints toward using them as “lightning carriers” but I wonder what that would mean for deck space on CVNs.

exNavyOffRec

Reviving the deck space topic: I stumbled upon a few USNI proceedings as well as the April 2023 Force Structure and Shipbuilding Plan. A call to study the efficacy of a potential modification of “0-6” future Ford or America class ships as a CVL was proposed. Most conjecture hints toward using them as “lightning carriers” but I wonder what that would mean for deck space on CVNs.
Modification of a Ford class aircraft carrier won't happen, you are talking about a complete redesign of the propulsion plant, as it is the propulsion plant space is tight, which means you are probably talking about new reactor design as well.

That whole process would take long enough that you would be retired, not to mention that cost of a new design for what would probably be little ROI.

Modification of a Ford class aircraft carrier won't happen, you are talking about a complete redesign of the propulsion plant, as it is the propulsion plant space is tight, which means you are probably talking about new reactor design as well.

That whole process would take long enough that you would be retired, not to mention that cost of a new design for what would probably be little ROI.
I agree. But not one of my ideas this time lol, Rear Adm. Jason Lloyd suggested it. Still, no one has talked about it since SecNav Braithwaite so who knows if the CVL idea is still kicking.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Proceedings has some very interesting material, but you really have to look at the bio of the author to decide whether or not it's credible or not. I'm not saying "credible" == "on the golden path to flag," or that every once in a while, junior folks don't have good ideas (spoiler alert: they sometimes do). But every once in a while, something slips through the editors that's essentially just someone talking out the wrong end of their alimentary canal.

I'd rather they do that than try to be intellectual gatekeepers, but caveat lector.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
That being said, we all have to train for flapping at a moments notice, in any AOR.

One thing I always wondered, is where the term “flapping” came from. It’s not an acronym. Nobody in my last two squadrons could ever answer that ?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
One thing I always wondered, is where the term “flapping” came from. It’s not an acronym. Nobody in my last two squadrons could ever answer that ?
I found this in an article doing some googling.

TACCO Warren Tisdale remembers checking into the VP-45 in Winter 1977 at Keflavik Iceland: “Steve F. picked me up in the duty truck when I got off the Air Force C-141 transport at Keflavik; he said the squadron was in a FLAP. I may have missed the term while training in VP-30, so Frick explained it stood for ‘F…ing Launch All Planes.’

I want to say I remember hearing that acronym in either VT-4 or VP-30 myself.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I found this in an article doing some googling.

I want to say I remember hearing that acronym in either VT-4 or VP-30 myself

Even if that’s unofficial, I love it. Always heard FLAP thrown around alongside “surging” “prosecuting” etc.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

robav8r

None
Contributor