• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cancer rates for pilots?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Would you prefer to be a SWO Nuke?

SEALs maybe. Not sure about USN, but Israeli Navy frogmen had developed unusually high rates of cancer cases, perhaps due to their training places in rivers polluted by industry.
Everything that Kirov-class nukes of Russian Navy had possessed in relation to the health is avid alcoholism, btw.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No cancer that I know of, but after flying a plane with a super-high-power radar for one tour, there were 13 sets of twins or triplets born in the squadron. But, maybe that's just coincidence.
More people are also doing IVF, which tends to produce twins, etc. you’d have to control for that in your theory.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
More people are also doing IVF, which tends to produce twins, etc. you’d have to control for that in your theory.
Well, my wife was on the pill when we had our twins and several of my buddies also weren't actively trying to have kids (though the topic of their preferred method of birth control never came up in casual conversation around the flight room) Lots of surprises in those couple years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, my wife was on the pill when we had our twins and several of my buddies also weren't actively trying to have kids (though the topic of their preferred method of birth control never came up in casual conversation around the flight room) Lots of surprises in those couple years.
Your anecdotes are acknowledged.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s great, but not particularly useful information. While we’re throwing around anecdotes, I was in a squadron where three of the officers were in some phase of the IVF process, which is a lot more than 1-2%. The entire point of me bringing up IVF in the first place is as just one example of any number of plausible explanations for twins, because “the radar made my wife have twins” doesn’t carry a lot of scientific weight, IMO.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That’s great, but not particularly useful information. While we’re throwing around anecdotes, I was in a squadron where three of the officers were in some phase of the IVF process, which is a lot more than 1-2%. The entire point of me bringing up IVF in the first place is as just one example of any number of plausible explanations for twins, because “the radar made my wife have twins” doesn’t carry a lot of scientific weight, IMO.
Your anecdote is acknowledged.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
What about the girls vs. boys ratio? I've had medical professionals tell me this is a real thing but haven't seen any actual research on it of course.

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
“the radar made my wife have twins” doesn’t carry a lot of scientific weight, IMO.
Like I said...it could all just be coincidence.

Or, it could stem from flying around one of the most high power radars ever put on an airplane.

Also, around that time, we all had a diet heavy in yams too...that also might have something to do with it.