• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cancer rates for pilots?

exNavyOffRec

Just got a sweet little piece of cancer cut out of my otherwise youngish healthy body. It’s a thing, so maybe ask for a skin check from the local derm around flight physical time. I learned that in the real world a skin check is part of routine physicals.

I have had several routine physicals since retirement from a few docs and none did a skin check, is that because of your occupation?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I'm now 70 and visiting the dermatologist tomorrow for my semi-annual exam. Been getting pre-cancerous spots frozen off my face for the last 25 years. The doc knows I'm an ex-pilot now but the first time I visited him, he asked if I was a pilot....said I had the traditional face of someone exposed often to high altitude solar radiation. Start getting checked early. Don't wait.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just got a sweet little piece of cancer cut out of my otherwise youngish healthy body. It’s a thing, so maybe ask for a skin check from the local derm around flight physical time. I learned that in the real world a skin check is part of routine physicals.

I'm now 70 and visiting the dermatologist tomorrow for my semi-annual exam. Been getting pre-cancerous spots frozen off my face for the last 25 years. The doc knows I'm an ex-pilot now but the first time I visited him, he asked if I was a pilot....said I had the traditional face of someone exposed often to high altitude solar radiation. Start getting checked early. Don't wait.

I had a small bit removed from the area over collarbone a few years ago and just did my latest check a few days ago, 2 years late, after being reminded by my sister-in-law's brush with semi-serious melanoma and a classmate who passed from it recently. So yeah, get checked.

exNavyOffRec

Probably depends a lot on your doc...or if you're going to an MTF or a civie doc. Im a fair skinned guy and spent a lot of time lifeguarding so I bring it up every physical.
Civilian doc, and they knew I was in nuclear power for years, so maybe they aren't concerned about me

taxi1

pilot
I've got the results of an LSO tan. Had to have a bunch of things removed, one cancerous.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I recently had my second visit to the dermatologist this year. He decided that there were too many spots to just freeze off so he prescribed an ointment that I applied to my face, scalp, and neck, every evening at bedtime for two weeks - basically a chemical face peel. Feels like 2nd degree burns all over. Some areas actually bled a little towards the end of the 2 week period. I guess I'm fortunate though, that nothing has been serious and everything so far has been considered pre-cancerous.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I recently had my second visit to the dermatologist this year. He decided that there were too many spots to just freeze off so he prescribed an ointment that I applied to my face, scalp, and neck, every evening at bedtime for two weeks - basically a chemical face peel. Feels like 2nd degree burns all over. Some areas actually bled a little towards the end of the 2 week period. I guess I'm fortunate though, that nothing has been serious and everything so far has been considered pre-cancerous.
View attachment 33139
Get a red and black striped sweater and a hat and your Freddy Krueger costume is done just in time for Halloween!

Seriously though that must suck but good to hear nothing serious

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
View attachment 33139

I’ve had that same chemical peel, although my dermatologist combined with 5 minutes under some type of ultraviolet light. Thankfully they give you an air conditioning hose to blow cold air while the chemical peel was accelerated. As Blake Shelton might say, “Some Beach!”