• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can Marines get their bubble?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Obviously a man that has never stepped through the doors at NDSTC. Are you out of your mind?

You'd think that would have been clear from when I said, "until they canceled dive school for youngsters..." What I was trying to say is that it ISN'T deep sea. If you're not gonna use it in the Navy, then why the heck attend a school that is going to rehash alot of what you've already learned on the civie side (although in greater detail). The beatings quote was just what the mids that attended the course said.

What I was saying was more along the lines of what are you going to gain? Its not like you are going to go through the scuba course and learn to dive Trimix, or even Nitrox. Whats the point other than to get some chest candy?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I went through NDSTC back in the early 90s and qualified as a Navy SCUBA Diver. Back then it was the full 13 week course, dive phys, medical, bay swims and runs through the "pleasure dome". It was hands down, one of the best schools and periods of training I have ever gone through in the Navy. I was seriously considering going BDO if my service selection for Aviation hadn't gone through.

We had quite a few ppl there that were going through on a "good deal", a couple civilians, two officers, and 30 reservists. We started out with 65 or so the first day. By the end of the day, all the reservists had failed the in test and were on a plane home.... god, that school was great!

HueyCobra8151 said:
SCUBA or Jump for an admin bubba (I've seen lots of admin guys w/ lead sleds too) is a little ridiculous
Why? I went through as a Second Class Yeoman.. :D NOTE: The A-gang MM3 from my boat failed out.

Scuba school is for bitches anyway. If you aint deep sea, you aint 5hit. Period. Only Sub guys go to scuba school so they can do 10 foot hull inspection dives on the boat....
Bite me. It's a lot more than that. AND they tried killing me twice and almost did it once....

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I meant it is ridiculous in terms of my post - bringing skill sets back to your unit.

If you want to and can get your led sled as an admin bubba (or whatever), more power to you.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What about going airborne if your Infantry? Is it easier to go to jump school then?

Marginally so. In a line infantry company, your chances are still pretty slim, but grunts can sometimes go recon and such, which will usually involve earning at least silver, if not gold, jump wings.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Whats the point other than to get some chest candy?

I think chest candy is the exact point of this whole thread. Is this similiar to a guy awaiting intel school saying, "How do I swing a slot to Pensacola and knock out some wings enroute?"

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Scuba school is for bitches anyway. If you aint deep sea, you aint 5hit. Period.
Tell me what ya think after you finish it...otherwise, shut yer piehole. At the time I went through 2nd Class school had the same physical element, but it was just longer (they started with the scuba phase and continued with the hard hat stuff and operating a chamber later). If you're a bitch that can get through scuba, you're a bitch that can get through second class.;)

I have never seen any Marine go through scuba school, only through MCD.
Half my scuba class was Marine recon (I know they go to a different school now...but it was standard at one time). The percentage of Marines changed, though...quite a few of those guys struggled with the academics and left early.

Of course scuba training for the CG prepares you to be a working diver. Either on a Polar icebreaker (taking samples under the ice) or working in Hawaii/Guam with buoys, unhooking them and towing them to the buoy tender (the CG has expanded it to now do pier inspections/anti-terrorist stuff). It was a lot of work, but one of the best jobs I've done (getting paid to dive in Kwajalein/Johnston Atoll/Midway and the Hawaiian Islands...suhweet!)

Crowbar

None
F.Y. I. ..... There is NO SLACK in light, medium, or heavy attack ... :)

What about electronic attack? Nerds need love, too.

s1156336957.jpg

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Tell me what ya think after you finish it...otherwise, shut yer piehole. At the time I went through 2nd Class school had the same physical element, but it was just longer (they started with the scuba phase and continued with the hard hat stuff and operating a chamber later). If you're a bitch that can get through scuba, you're a bitch that can get through second class.;)

After I finish what? I am assuming that since I went through second class school and not SCUBA that you are saying I don't know how much easier it is? When I went through in '96, the SCUBA classes were a joke. Their PT was weak, and their pool week lame. The 1st 4 weeks of academics were the same, though. I only saw 1 guy fail out of SCUBA because he was a total spaz in the water. How he even got there I have no idea. Its not an easy school by any stretch of the imagination, but in comparison to what I saw while I was there it was much easier. Besides, anyone can get beat for 5 weeks, go for more than 5 months and see how you come out. And we did lose 3 people AFTER the "SCUBA" portion of class. So if you can make it through SCUBA it doesnt mean you can make it through Deep Sea School! So I stand by my motto "If you ain't deep sea, you ain't SH!T!"

Bite me. It's a lot more than that.

If SCUBA is just as bad ass as deep sea school, then why is it that SCUBA divers, not even those divers stationed on the boat, can dive in the shelter of an SDV Team? Huh? Its all SCUBA. Open circuit. Well.....