• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I Geo Bachelor at advanced?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Isn't this pretty much what everyone here counseled you against doing?
Yes. I didn't have the only vote. Nor the majority.

As it is, there was no reason to move the family, as I got a nice eight month tour of the Fifth and Sixth Fleet AOR.

With 15-ish months to go, and the results of the O-4 and (hopefully) DH boards pending, the current house may be where I end up if the Navy ousts me.

My wife just got hired full time at navy federal in a good position, and there is a corporate office in Pensacola. The main reason I want to geobachelor is so that she can build her career at navy federal for another 6 months. She finally found a job she enjoys and I feel selfish making her move 3 times in a year and a half. I know there's navy federals in corpus, but she would most likely end up as a bank teller. I have a few buddies in this same position. It's not a money thing.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
You need to get out more dude, I am not the biggest fan of this pace but it isn't all bad.
@picklesuit, concur with @Flash. the area around NOB is awful but there's a lot of nice stuff to do in Norfolk; any posting is what you make of it.

To the OP, listen to pickle. Like Brett said the board said geobaching was going to suck and pickle is now confirming that it does indeed suck. It's a lot of stress on what I'm assuming is a young marriage. Flight school is as good of a time as any to build a solid foundation for a marriage that will only be subjected to A LOT of stressors over the next decade of the fleet. Careers come and go; your family is forever (hopefully).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Will I provided a place to live on base, or will I be expected to live off base?
Why would they pay you BAH and give you a place to live on base?

You're making a bunch of dumb decisions.
1. Buy a house during primary - dumb.
2. Being a geo bachelor for no good reason - dumb.
3. Supporting 2 households on an Ensign's and wife beginner job pay - dumb.
4. Not listening to advise from more experienced people - dumb.

You made a dumb decision buying a house as a newly commissioned flight student at what in reality a temporary assignment, especially since there is no guarantee of staying on active duty with it's paycheck until you actually have wings on your chest. That is the root cause to your problem. You need to fix being dumb.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Your wife is a civilian and as such, can live where ever she wants. That said, if this is a personal choice you make (as opposed to unaccompanied orders or some official reason she can't join you), you are going to foot the bill for that choice. Consider 2 rents, 2 cable bills, two Everythings. The Navy isn't going to pay for or provide two households when you could be sharing one and are deciding not to. Look at it this way: they are committed to providing a home (or money for a home) in which your family can live. They are doing that. One time. If you decide you require two homes because for whatever reason the one they are providing (via Corpus BAH) isn't sufficient, the second one is on you.

Is 6 months more really going to establish her in her career? Will it really make that much of a difference, or is this more about the appearance of things and the guilt you feel about another move?

When you say, "it's not a money thing", I am guessing that means that you are okay if the net of all this is that you end up with less money than if she left the job and you only paid for one house. If it isn't "a money thing", consider whether it is "a marriage thing". You will likely never in your Navy career be home and have as much time to be with your wife as you will during advanced and the FRS. And if kids are in your future, that's likely going to enter the picture soon-ish, making this time you have with just the two of you exceptionally precious. I'd think long and hard before squandering that time. And I say that as someone whose once decent career is utterly and completely dead, and who mourns that loss tremendously. I know it's not an easy thing or a cavalier decision to just toss aside one's career. It's fucking *hard*. Absolutely. But I'd make the same choices again and again, sacrificing my earning potential and the pride I have [or, had] in being a self-supporting (in theory) human, in order for my partnership with Husband to thrive. When our third consecutive overseas orders came, I considered for a minute not going. It was probably my last chance to resurrect some of the career I once had, when it would have been a 6 year resume gap instead of 9. But that's not really what Husband or I signed up for when we got married. Partnership first, as far as I'm concerned.

If *she's* dead set on this course of action, trying too hard to talk her out of it is probably a dumb move. But you mention your own guilt, not her complaints, and not wanting to ask this of her, which suggests maybe this is coming mostly or at least partly from you. It seems like you are forgetting to weigh the affects on the marriage, and what that is asking of her (and of you) and only looking at the affects on her career.

Last edited:

robav8r

None
Contributor
You will likely never in your Navy career be home and have as much time to be with your wife as you will during advanced and the FRS. And if kids are in your future, that's likely going to enter the picture soon-ish, making this time you have with just the two of you exceptionally precious.
Wisdom from those that have been there, done that. But hey, those Millennials, are much smarter than us old folks . . . .

If you're dead set on geobatching, I would be looking for some roommates to share a cheap place.
Yes, I know about 10 guys that are already there, and BAH is about $500 higher so that's not a big deal. Just wanted to know if it was possible to geobachelor. The snide comments from HAL Pilot were a little unnecessary. This forum has its fare share of know-it-alls.
Wisdom from those that have been there, done that. But hey, those Millennials, are much smarter than us old folks . . . .
Thanks for all of the great input guys! I have found a college buddy willing to let me live at his place for really cheap in Corpus. Also, I found a few marines who I went to school with who are just starting primary to rent two of the rooms in my house. My wife won't budge, we have done long distance before and we will do it again, as you all know. We are planning on seeing each other once a month so that the situation is more bearable.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
$500 higher so that's not a big deal

Why do you think the Gov pays 500 bucks more in BAH in the Corpus area?? It's not because our uncle is rich and wants us to live like kings...

"Yeah man, I know a lot of other folks who have been there and done that are telling me this won't work out well for me, as it doesn't work out well for anyone. But hey, I'm different..."

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
For serious, can't the OP get a GeoBachelor chit signed and live in the BOQ while his wife in in Pensacola? Is there some CNATRA rule I missed that doesn't allow it?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The snide comments from HAL Pilot were a little unnecessary.
Yes they were. Especially since you wouldn't recognize the good advice you're getting from others if it kicked you in the balls.
This forum has its fare share of know-it-alls.
It also has it's share of dumb asses. Young inexperienced SNAs who think they have all the answers yet seem to want validation from the unknown internet masses.