• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calculus and Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I don't really need to take theses classes but i'm doing a degree that I would want as a job just in case I can't get into the Navy or something. I would major in just history or something that you really don't have a field that you work in. Also with the meteorology degree once I get into the Navy I may transfer to the meteorology departement after I complete a tour on a ship or something.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree that a sharp intellectual mind is a value to warfighting, but higher math is really only of use for engineering and scientific purposes and is too esoteric to lend itself to everyday problem-solving. Interview some of the highest caliber intellectuals from academia in the social sciences and government, and I think you'll find very few of them conversant in higher math. The requirement in the commissioning programs, like so much else, is a tool to cull the herd, not a skill to be learned for later use. If higher math is your benchmark for intellectual achievement, I'm going to go ahead and assume, based on your many fine previous posts, that you flunked calculus. ;)

Brett
Calculus is not esoteric at all, that is, if you truly understand it. The great thing about calc is that many times, there are multiple techniques to finding the solution to the problem. Calculus is about training your mind to think analytically through specific problems and using the available mathematical techniques at your disposal to solve them. So in that respect, I disagree with your assertion that calculus is not a tool to be learned for later use. If your implication by that statement was that naval officers will not likely be using calculus to solve problems in the fleet, then I agree. However, calculus is one of the few ways that analytical thinking and problem solving can be objectively measured. This is one reason why it is required for commissioning programs. The same applies to calc based physics.

People that have a hard time with algebra tend to have a hard time in calculus. This isn't because the concepts taught in calculus are so much more difficult. It's because understanding those concepts relies heavily on the person being able to "do the math." In other words, algebra skills/concepts are used extensively in calculus. People don't fail because they don't understand calc. They fail because they don't understand algebra. In any event, differential equations and 3-dimensional calculus is where your money is made. Calc I/II are just preparation for those courses.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To add to what Lewie said:

It's not all about the "thinking in numbers". Granted, I'm not out in the fleet yet, but how many of you have been in a situation in the aircraft where a little abstract thinking helped out a bit? I know I have been... in fact, just a few days ago it happened.

What mathematics does is hone some of those abstract thinking skills, so that they haven't fallen by the wayside when you need them.

I'm not conversant in higher level math or higher level programming stuff. But my math and CS background that has developed my abstract thinking... which as previously stated, has helped me out a bit in the back of the T-6.

Dalamara

^^ You guys are absolutely correct.

What math boils down to is problem solving. You have a problem, and you solve it using all the rules and formulas that you've been taught. Real world works the same way. You have a problem and you use what you've been taught to find a solution. That's why math is important.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ You guys are absolutely correct.
I know.

Dalamara said:
What math boils down to is problem solving. You have a problem, and you solve it using all the rules and formulas that you've been taught. Real world works the same way.
This is exactly what I was trying to say calculus ISN'T. You aren't confined to just the rules and formulas that you know and/or have been taught. It teaches you to think outside the box to come up with your own method of approaching problems and developing solutions. Again, the folks that get hung up in calc are the ones least likely to be able to do this.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
It teaches you to think outside the box to come up with your own method of approaching problems and developing solutions. Again, the folks that get hung up in calc are the ones least likely to be able to do this.
Calculus may be very powerful, but I fail to see how it is different from algebra in that it is a tool to crunch numbers. You are limited to approaches and equations, just not as limited.

Besides, doesn't the Navy emphasise calc and physics because of the technical nature of the service?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The key to success in college, as in life is to hard work.

In my experience the people who do badly in calc and whatnot are the ones that party 4 nights a week and never do their homework. If you go to 95% of class, take notes, do all your homework and study before the tests there is absolutely no reason that you won't do well.

What fun would college be then?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Calculus may be very powerful, but I fail to see how it is different from algebra in that it is a tool to crunch numbers. You are limited to approaches and equations, just not as limited.
I'll give you a simple analogy. You get up at your usual time to go into work and half way there, there's a sign that says "Road Closed." Do you go back home and just say screw it, or do you find another way to get into work? If you think calculus is just a tool to crunch numbers, then you apparently don't have a firm understanding of its concepts.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys are WAY overthinking this issue - kind of like the aforementioned geeks that couldn't solve their way out of a wet paper bag. Flying an airplane is not that complicated, and all these problem solving skills you guys are talking about just aren't part of daily fleet life. So, if it makes you feel better about yourselves, then that's great, but the reality is that it's just not all that important.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll give you a simple analogy. You get up at your usual time to go into work and half way there, there's a sign that says "Road Closed." Do you go back home and just say screw it, or do you find another way to get into work? If you think calculus is just a tool to crunch numbers, then you apparently don't have a firm understanding of its concepts.

Jesus, shutup. Stop babbling about how high and mighty calculus is and how no one understands its mystical powers but you. It's math, plain and simple. You don't have to be good at calc to do anything but more calc in life.

Amazingly, there are those of us who suck at calculus, yet still somehow, manage to make it through a decision-filled day. Some of us even manage to fly tactical aircraft and still suck at math.

akdorsey

I just wish I could know that I could get into the Navy before I start college and taking a major that doesn't really have anything to do with flying or some other field.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jesus, shutup. Stop babbling about how high and mighty calculus is and how no one understands its mystical powers but you. It's math, plain and simple. You don't have to be good at calc to do anything but more calc in life.
Sounds like you have reading comprehension issues because I didn't say that calc was understood only by me or that it had any mystical powers at all. If that's your interpretation of what I said, then so be. It's your issue, not mine. Based on your interpretation, I'm guessing you'd agree that a plane is a plane is a plane, right. If I can fly a Cessna 172 or a Piper Cub, I should be able to fly a Hornet or Harrier. After all, it's just flying, plain and simple.

Squeeze said:
Amazingly, there are those of us who suck at calculus, yet still somehow, manage to make it through a decision-filled day.
And somehow, I'm guessing those days are a bit more difficult for someone of your caliber to get through. Don't take it personally. It is what it is.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The key to success in college, as in life is to hard work.

In my experience the people who do badly in calc and whatnot are the ones that party 4 nights a week and never do their homework. If you go to 95% of class, take notes, do all your homework and study before the tests there is absolutely no reason that you won't do well.

Another key to the sucess in college is being able to manipulate the system for your advantage.

I went to almost all of the classes, took notes, did all of my homework with a tutor who would sit next to me for the couple hours I worked on it, and went for extra help with the prof. My reward was a gentleman's D. I call it a reward because I very easily could have been given an F.

akdorsey,

Major in something you are interested in in college.

akdorsey

Yeah. I've always liked the government and politics so i'm thinking that political science with a double major in something else would be more the my fit. I don't think it requires calculus or physics and I can easily get into the Navy with those majors. I know that pretty much any major can get you into SNA, Intel or Supply and thats my three choices right now. I asked about calculus and physics because I was going to get a degree in meteorlogy or something but I don't know if i'll be able to keep a B in calculus to keep my grants and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.