• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calculus and Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I think I saw somewhere that for you to be a SWO on a nuclear ship that you need those classes. I just wanted to see if that was certain. Also how hard are they? I've only gone up to Alg. II and passed with a 88 or something like that. I know I want a major in something but it requires theses classes and you need a 3.0 or higher to have a good chance of getting in so are their any tips on getting through calculus or is it if you have it you do and if you don't your just out of luck?

akdorsey

Yeah. I just don't know if I could pass calculus and calculus based physics with a B or higher.

akdorsey

From what I have heard the professors in college won't really help you out if you having trouble understanding the material, is that true? If it is, can't you just get a tutor to help you through each semester of calculus? I want to make a B in it cause I want SWO eventually.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
From what I have heard the professors in college won't really help you out if you having trouble understanding the material, is that true?

For about 90% of professors that is bullcrap. I have never had a professor close his door to me. They normally go out of their way to help students. There are TONS of resources in college to help you out with classes. Utilize them.

akdorsey

Did most of the people on here take calculus and all that stuff prior to getting their commission? I was thinking about getting Calculus for Dummies and start studying up on it before I get there lol.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
From what I have heard the professors in college won't really help you out if you having trouble understanding the material, is that true? If it is, can't you just get a tutor to help you through each semester of calculus? I want to make a B in it cause I want SWO eventually.
Technicall, all you need do is pass. Calculus is not that bad. I SUCK at math (well, algebra anyways), and I'm no stud at calculus, but I have to admit at time I do enjoy it. It's a very powerful tool, and very rewarding to learn to use.

Give it a shot if you get the chance. Professors? They are always glad to help if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

akdorsey

I need keep and finish college with atleast a 3.0 to have a good chance at the Navy so would if I got C's in Calculus 1 2 and 3 could I get it back up or would I be screwed?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
From what I have heard the professors in college won't really help you out if you having trouble understanding the material, is that true?

Whoever told you that must have had a crappy professor. They may not go out of the way to help you (i.e. he's not going to hunt you down to get your grade up like he would in high school). But you'd be surprised how many students don't go to office hours. My first semester I took calc II, and I think my teacher had 2 sections of 35, and I swear, whenever I went in for office hours, he was reading a book (probably pissed that I showed up :))

The bottom line is you have to be proactive in college. You're grades don't go home to mom and dad (at least they didn't at my school), and there aren't any Parent-professor conferences.

I need keep and finish college with atleast a 3.0 to have a good chance at the Navy so would if I got C's in Calculus 1 2 and 3 could I get it back up or would I be screwed?

First of all, you'd only need calc I and II for 2 semesters. Second, if you got C's in those, it wouldn't destroy your GPA. To illustrate, 2 semesters of calc is probably 8 credits of the 120+ credits you'll need to graduate. Do the math.

It's better to challenge yourself, instead of taking some sh!t like "college algebra"

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
This is all in your hands. If you could get it back up depends on your current college GPA. Just work your ass off in those classes and ask for all the help you need. Don't settle for a C.

akdorsey

Yeah. I'm going to have to make a choice in the next couple of months when i'm applying to college but I need to keep a 3.0 I think to keep the Hope Scholarship. Thanks everyone for the info.

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
College calculus isn't that bad as long as you're willing to put the time in to study. Anyone who has gone through the Naval Academy or NROTC (including STA-21) has completed Calc I and II, and most of us are not math-wizes. If you do have trouble with any of the material, Thisguy is right on by saying that you need to be proactive in either seeking out the professor during office hours, or utilizing whatever resources are available to you on campus. This is a skill that you will most definitely need as a naval officer, as it is impossible to survive in any naval community without being proactive and possessing iniative to get the job done.

akdorsey

I think I could pull it off but my previous math grades don't say that and keeping a B may be hard.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
akdorsey,

Glad to see you are looking into this stuff now. I don't know what route you are planning on pursuing to earn a commission, but if you are considering ROTC all scholarship students must take Calculus 1 and 2 as well as Physics. Even college program students (non-scholarship) must take calculus and physics I believe (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on the college program stuff...I was scholarship). So, just be prepared to take those classes and get help early with them. Talk to professors and teaching assistants early, the sooner they see you are trying the more they are willing to help you. Many schools even will have tutoring programs, mine did, so take advantage of those. If you try, you should be able to earn at least a B. You may even surprise yourself and get an A. G'luck in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.