• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Calculus and Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Well I was told to do something that I like and something that I would do if for some reason I didn't get into the Navy and thats meteorlogy so i'm looking into that and alot of the schools I saw require you to take Calculus 1, 2 and 3 as well as Calculus based Physics. Now I haven't even done trig yet so i'm guessing i'm going to have to enroll in a pre calculus class and then work my way up. I was thinking about getting the Calculus for Dummies book from Barnes and Nobles and getting a early jump on things. The school that i'm looking in i'm seeing about joining the ROTC program there but no the scholarship way and i'll only be there for two years and i'm not sure if thats allowed.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Well I was told to do something that I like and something that I would do if for some reason I didn't get into the Navy and thats meteorlogy so i'm looking into that and alot of the schools I saw require you to take Calculus 1, 2 and 3 as well as Calculus based Physics.

That's sound advice. Even if you don't need calc for your major, you'll probably need to meet a math requirement. I've met people who tried to switch to a technical major sophomore year and they hadn't taken calc yet, so they were way behind.

Now I haven't even done trig yet so i'm guessing i'm going to have to enroll in a pre calculus class and then work my way up. I was thinking about getting the Calculus for Dummies book from Barnes and Nobles and getting a early jump on things.

I wouldn't sweat getting the calc book. Take pre-calc and that should qualify you to take Calc I in college. Enjoy your senior year.

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
Well I want to do calculus because its required for nuclear SWO as said above and I want to be on a aircraft carrier if i'm able.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Even college program students (non-scholarship) must take calculus and physics I believe (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on the college program stuff...I was scholarship).

Nope. CP'ed with one semester of precalc and one semester of trig. Had two stats classes but only because my major required them. Science requirement through biology and meteorology (metro actually helped for API).

Dalamara

The key to success in college, as in life is to hard work.

In my experience the people who do badly in calc and whatnot are the ones that party 4 nights a week and never do their homework. If you go to 95% of class, take notes, do all your homework and study before the tests there is absolutely no reason that you won't do well.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
"Anything of any importance in the world has a basis in mathematics"

Calc and Physics describe, and allow you to understand the physical world around us - the the Profession of Arms my friend, included. It's key, and vital to your service in a commissioned status.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Anything of any importance in the world has a basis in mathematics"

Calc and Physics describe, and allow you to understand the physical world around us - the the Profession of Arms my friend, included. It's key, and vital to your service in a commissioned status.

That's complete BS. I've never used anything more than basic arithmetic in aviation. While Nukes may be another matter, your overly broad statement is characteristically inappropriate.

Brett

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I have to stronlgy disagree - it'a about how you think and not what you will actually use oin the fleet driving an aircraft, sub, or destroyer and leading troops.

Plus intellectually it is another "hoop" to being a learned person - exactly what commissioned service is all about. We're not task workers like our enlisted counterparts - we think through things, process, interpret, blah blah blah. Precisely why all three service academies require successful acedemic prowess in both. :)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Well, just because you take a particular class isn't a guarantee of anything. I completed enough math to fulfill my requirements to transfer from a community college to a 4 yr university, and not once has differential equations factored into FEZ or MEZ considerations. I HAD the ability to take and pass those courses, but I CHOSE not to because I didn't want them. It's been of no impact on my critical thinking abilities, decision-making process, or tactical abilities in any way shape or form. Calc and physics won't make you a better decision-maker. I've got relatives with uber-engineering degrees, but I don't want them making decisions about anything...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to stronlgy disagree - it'a about how you think and not what you will actually use oin the fleet driving an aircraft, sub, or destroyer and leading troops.

Plus intellectually it is another "hoop" to being a learned person - exactly what commissioned service is all about. We're not task workers like our enlisted counterparts - we think through things, process, interpret, blah blah blah. Precisely why all three service academies require successful acedemic prowess in both. :)

I agree that a sharp intellectual mind is a value to warfighting, but higher math is really only of use for engineering and scientific purposes and is too esoteric to lend itself to everyday problem-solving. Interview some of the highest caliber intellectuals from academia in the social sciences and government, and I think you'll find very few of them conversant in higher math. The requirement in the commissioning programs, like so much else, is a tool to cull the herd, not a skill to be learned for later use. If higher math is your benchmark for intellectual achievement, I'm going to go ahead and assume, based on your many fine previous posts, that you flunked calculus. ;)

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Calc and physics won't make you a better decision-maker. I've got relatives with uber-engineering degrees, but I don't want them making decisions about anything...

That's a great point. We've all seen "those guys" who show up to the squadron with an engineering masters from MIT who are complete retards both socially and in the airplane. There is such a thing as over-thinking a problem and it's usually done by these nerd types.

Brett

titusmcgrifth

Yeah I would generally agree that you don't need calculus or physics to be a better decision maker, but calculus and physics go a long way for scientific and engineering purposes. Of course, keep in mind that some decisions might be of a mathematical nature, in which case the officer who understands calculus will have a better advantage than the officer who doesn't. Every problem in life has different solutions to them, and not all of the solutions will require math.

Status
Not open for further replies.