• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bye Bye Buckeye

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I remember seeing the adverse yaw departure videos of the T-2 during API....talk about :eek: That was part of their syllabus up there, correct?

As a very random aside, I happened to see that Raytheon is using a couple de-mothballed A-3's for flight test support. Anyone happen to know anything about this?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I remember seeing the adverse yaw departure videos of the T-2 during API....talk about :eek: That was part of their syllabus up there, correct?

As a very random aside, I happened to see that Raytheon is using a couple de-mothballed A-3's for flight test support. Anyone happen to know anything about this?

T-2's ... departures(?) ... learn to love spins in a jet.

A-3's and Raytheon?? They have figured out that some things never change ... a GREAT ol' bird and a strong one, too .... :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
T-2's ... departures(?) ... learn to love spins in a jet.

A-3's and Raytheon?? They have figured out that some things never change ... a GREAT ol' bird and a strong one, too .... :)

There is one at the museum in Alameda, and standing next to it, I remember thinking how unbelievable it was that something that big was operating on and off the boat. Pretty cool jet

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I am pretty certain they are not 'demothballed', Raytheon has been using some for years for testing purposes, apparently out of Van Nuys, CA. They have been used continually since the Navy fleet was retired. They provide considerable payload capacity along with a higher speed than most other testing platforms. Most appear to have 'funny' noses.

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher4/newa3_8.html

http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...ft_genericsearch=Douglas A-3 Skywarrior (A3D)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Raytheon has been using (A-3's) for testing purposes, apparently out of Van Nuys, CA......They provide considerable payload capacity along with a higher speed than most other testing platforms. Most appear to have 'funny' noses.
For sure ... I know that some supported a few "missile tests" out over the PAC for the past decade+ or so .... :)

Rearden

So what's broken on this jet today, Chief?
None
I'm actually in that class, got softwinged the same morning they had their last flight, and that video was taken. I heard we're taking 2 of them out to VX-20, supposedly for the OCF flight the T-2 is capable of, and the rest are going out to the boneyard. As far as departures, they were demo items on the first BFM flight in the T-2 syllabus. If you weren't able to get out to the Whiskey area, though, you couldn't do all of them, because you had too much altitude loss to remain in the confines of the MOA.

Rearden

None
Congrats...someone get that man some NFO wings!!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Thanks a lot!! I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that I'm done with flight school, and then I realize, oh, I just have another year of training at the RAG. Oh well, at least I'll be learning the Prowler.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks a lot!! I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that I'm done with flight school, and then I realize, oh, I just have another year of training at the RAG. Oh well, at least I'll be learning the Prowler.

And when you finish the VAQ RAG, you'll think "Wow, I'm done." But in reality, you'll never be done learning/training. After the RAG, it's Level 1, 2, 3,... then FCF qual, then (FILL IN THE BLANK).

-ea6bflyr ;)

PS: Have fun at SERE school. :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

And will be headed to an awesome part of the country as well! Congrats

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
How much longer until they start to selecting Growlers directly?

Rearden

None
Whenever someone selects Navy Fighter, they can be sent to either Growlers or Hornets. The Growler guys are going through the full Air to Air syllabus now. I'm not sure when they find out if they are going to be Growler or Hornet, but I think it's at the end of training, when Hornet guys would normally find out if they are east or west coast. They was word that some guys who thought they'd selected Hornets only might be sent to Growlers, but I'm not sure if that ended up happening or not. Anyway, that's the most recent I've heard.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Whenever someone selects Navy Fighter, they can be sent to either Growlers or Hornets. The Growler guys are going through the full Air to Air syllabus now. I'm not sure when they find out if they are going to be Growler or Hornet, but I think it's at the end of training, when Hornet guys would normally find out if they are east or west coast. They was word that some guys who thought they'd selected Hornets only might be sent to Growlers, but I'm not sure if that ended up happening or not. Anyway, that's the most recent I've heard.

So it's Prowlers, Rhinos, or Growlers now? Interesting.

Rearden

None
Yup, that's right, with the Prowler selection ultimately not existing, obviously, although I'm not clear on the time frame for that.