• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Bye Bye Blueberries!

ChuckM

pilot
From the uniform manual in the organizational clothing section...

g. Footwear. Authorized footwear worn with the NWU Type II/III is the Navy certified desert tan or brown brushless boots (including optional American National Standards Institute (ANSI) approved safety boots). Smooth black leather boots are also authorized and must be blackened and buffed when worn in garrison. Bootlaces will be tucked in a manner to present a well-kept appearance.

Sorry for the half truth. I was going off of the blurb from the "briefing card" sent out today. I'm sure there will be a mixed bag among the aviation community based off of community norms. Here's the exact verbiage:
    • Black boots will be the standard boot worn with the NWU Type III in the United States and its territories.
      • Expeditionary forces in the U.S. or its territories may wear the Desert Tan or Coyote Brown rough-side out/brushless boots at the discretion of the unit commanding officer.
Any forward deployed expeditionary force may wear Desert Tan or Coyote Brown rough-side out/brushless boots at the discretion of the unit commanding officer.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yawn. Let me know when the entire DoD standardizes on one set of cammies per environment type (woodland, desert, snow) across Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. The various DoD "uniforms" are remarkably non-uniform in Joint offices/units.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's a step in the right direction. At least its a "cool" looking uniform - these things matter - e.g. how does it look on CNN. The "gucci" gear matters. Period. The Air Force learned this years ago hence why they win in terms of medals, funding, cool gear, etc.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It's a step in the right direction. At least its a "cool" looking uniform - these things matter - e.g. how does it look on CNN. The "gucci" gear matters. Period. The Air Force learned this years ago hence why they win in terms of medals, funding, cool gear, etc.

I admit, it did cross my mind that I might have a truly professional reason to buy an actual pair of cammies. And I can wear them outside of Halloween!

Except I probably won't. Flight suits forever!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Because nothing says "Navy" like green camo. Sigh. Not that I'm defending blueberries, but there is no fucking plan to any of this.

What was wrong with the all blue working uniform? Why the push to go to cammo at all?

BigRed389

None
What was wrong with the all blue working uniform? Why the push to go to cammo at all?

Because everybody else was doing it.

Ok partly because the pre camomile uniforms were considered unsuitable for wear off base (or even the pier).

The blue NWU has been kind of a fuckup from day 1. Material is pretty heavy stiff and breathes poorly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And they look fucking horrible. Yeah, this isn't a fashion show, but it is the worst Navy uniform of all time. I actually like the standard blue coveralls…..I know it is a working uniform yadda yadda, but it is 1000 times more presentable in most cases than NWU's. Anything we can do to eliminate the suede no polish black boots is a good thing IMO.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
And they look fucking horrible. Yeah, this isn't a fashion show, but it is the worst Navy uniform of all time. I actually like the standard blue coveralls…..I know it is a working uniform yadda yadda, but it is 1000 times more presentable in most cases than NWU's. Anything we can do to eliminate the suede no polish black boots is a good thing IMO.

... Just wear black flight boots...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aquaflauge was another great Navy deal. Take a basically good idea - to have a good-looking, sturdy working uniform that would hide paint and oil streaks - and fuck around with it until it satisfied nobody. Wound up with a 'working' uniform that nobody could or wanted to wear while, you know...working.

At least in this case they're going with the Type IIIs instead of spending another five years and bazillion dollars in prototypes and focus groups.

Echoing an earlier comment...I don't get why we can't just adopt the Coasties' ODUs. Works fine for them.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If we're honest about the NWUs I think we can pretty easily trace their lineage back to the height of OIF, when the Navy (excluding Naval Aviation and SPECWAR) was largely sidelined. That didn't really work with the Clark/Roughead/Mullen/Every-MCPON-ever "we're all warriors" mantra. Camouflage will certainly do the trick, right!? Well that, and IAs...

Alright then, let's spend $225 million developing a uniform that if we called it camouflage would incur congressional oversight - so, instead, let's go with "camouflaged style uniform" (three clicks to the right). Now that we've decided on something that is neither "camouflage," nor useful, let's find a shitty contractor that can't deliver the goods on time. We'll slowly and without much forethought start issuing these uniforms to boots, but we'll expect the rest of the fleet Sailors to buy them - but wait... we can't afford to increase their uniform allowance to pay for it. This seems like a problem that should rise to the level of the CNO to resolve (two clicks to the right).

My suggestion going forward: remove all the MCPOs, retired MCPOs, and contractors from the Navy Uniform Matters Office (yes, that's a real thing), and chalk Task F.U. up as a bad joke that went too far. IF/when a decision needs to be made concerning new or changed uniform policies, you instead sequester a group of Second Class Petty Officers and JOs into a room and go with the resulting recommendation. Beer and wings will be reimbursable with submitted travel claim.

Last edited:

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
^^^^Echoing RLSO....

The geniuses of Task Force Uniform (vomit) must really be celebrating.

Flashback to Oct, 2004:

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=15565

The vision of Task Force Uniform is to give Sailors a cost-effective set of uniforms presenting a professional appearance, recognizing naval heritage, and offering versatility, safety, ease of maintenance and storage, utility and comfort.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Anything we can do to eliminate the suede no polish black boots is a good thing IMO.
I actually bought a pair of the "Blue Suede" boots for my DH tour, they were the most comfortable boots I have ever owned (uniform boot that is). And then, they were immediately classified as unsuitable for shipboard and flight line use. Brilliant . . .

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Never bought a set. Don't even own a set of Type IIIs either. If I'm not wearing a flight suit then I'll just throw on khakis and be done.