• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Bye Bye Blueberries!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
More useful pockets in blueberries or type 3s, plus ability to remove blouse is nice. Khakis/other service uniforms suck for women in the holding shit department and the fact the pants go up to your boobs, but now I guess I need to go try on a pair of men's khaki pants to see if they suck less.

Is this you in khakis?
latest

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Never bought a set. Don't even own a set of Type IIIs either. If I'm not wearing a flight suit then I'll just throw on khakis and be done.

I'd be in this same boat except a former Skipper of mine made us all have a NWU uniform inspection. I wore them for that inspection, a re-enlistment a sailor asked me to wear for him, and a MWR function that had me serving food. So... roughly $33 a wear? (I think the total uniform was about $100?) Good ROI.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'd be in this same boat except a former Skipper of mine made us all have a NWU uniform inspection. I wore them for that inspection, a re-enlistment a sailor asked me to wear for him, and a MWR function that had me serving food. So... roughly $33 a wear? (I think the total uniform was about $100?) Good ROI.

You're coming out ahead considering your bags are all $free.99...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Never bought a set. Don't even own a set of Type IIIs either. If I'm not wearing a flight suit then I'll just throw on khakis and be done.
When I got to my boat they had been on a firm "all NWUs all the time policy"; even underway! So I diligently bought a couple of sets, including the boots(well black flight boots at least) and the jacket only to find out that the new front office had done away with the prior regimes' uniform policy and the ship now operated on a firm "no one cares what you wear" policy. So I wore coveralls, flight suit, and flight deck uniforms the entire time (not all at once, except that time that the 1st LT bet that I couldn't wear 10 coats at the same time. The 1st learned that he shouldn't bet aviators and that I could wear 10 coats at once). When I left the ship and USN I gave all my barely worn NWUs to the ABs.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Kind of a sunk-costs fallacy argument they make. Since I assume Type III's will no longer be organizational clothing, and thus everybody has to buy their set(s) vice being issued, I'm not sure how this will cost the Navy $200+M, unless they're factoring in initial uniform allowances, though even that sounds really high.

At least it's a change to a uniform that a not-insignificant chunk of the Navy already owns, vice another all-new-thing.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kind of a sunk-costs fallacy argument they make. Since I assume Type III's will no longer be organizational clothing, and thus everybody has to buy their set(s) vice being issued, I'm not sure how this will cost the Navy $200+M, unless they're factoring in initial uniform allowances, though even that sounds really high.

Yeah, while it is a correct number it isn't really the right one. I am going to bet that ~90% or more of that cost is merely the cost of issuing new uniforms and not what it would cost the Navy to actually field them. Sort of like how it 'cost' the Navy $300 mil for the aquaflague to begin with, the vast majority of it was the initial cost of uniform issue that would have happened with or without the new uniforms.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Yeah, while it is a correct number it isn't really the right one. I am going to bet that ~90% or more of that cost is merely the cost of issuing new uniforms and not what it would cost the Navy to actually field them. Sort of like how it 'cost' the Navy $300 mil for the aquaflague to begin with, the vast majority of it was the initial cost of uniform issue that would have happened with or without the new uniforms.
Uggggh! When will you learn? Military.com (& its cousins/children/+USA Today) are having a whine party about something they've asked for actually happening. Your logic is as cool as a noise complaint.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Uggggh! When will you learn? Military.com (& its cousins/children/+USA Today) are having a whine party about something they've asked for actually happening. Your logic is as cool as a noise complaint.
Whatever sells papers and gets page hit counts. If the publishers weren't in it for a buck you'd think they were the mouthpiece of union bosses.