• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Burning questions about OCS, flight school and Navy life

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I was in 09-08 when master guns secured it. I guess a class behind us had CND on the white board and it got out. Master guns came into the church and saw what was going on and told us it was ending. Did it continue on?

It must have. I'm in 06-09. What happened here was everything was going along great until a certain individual in 05-09 was caught having the senior classes sneak him donuts over the stall in the head at Chapel of Hope.

That same week, said candidate failed his RLP and re-inspect. Wonder why.

CND is still secured. :D

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
In the head huh? Damn, sounds like a heroin deal. Understandable though...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yea, CND continued after you, skim. I was 15-08 and we had CND the entire way through. I guess these things just go in waves.

As for what to ask for from Santa: Happy sock.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not true at all. As a matter of fact, they have happy sock time scheduled from 2030-2045 every evening.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Im sure if you are using the sock during chow hall procedures that might get you kicked out.

Staying connected while deployed

Is there a maximum number of phone calls an aviator can make to his girlfriend/fiancee/wife while on deployment? And does his marital status grant him more phone calls than, say, a single guy?

This thread was the closest I could get to finding an answer. It suggests using skype. Is internet available on a daily basis? Basically I just want to know how well I'll be able to stay in touch with my wife and kids while I'm gone for 6 months of the year.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141401&highlight=phone+call

MasterBates

You may get NO phone calls unless you are in port depending on the boat.

Some boats have POTS lines that can be used. Some don't. A-holes who spend 1 hour a night on the phone with their wives kinda piss off the guys who are trying to use the line for something important, like calling the expediter to get parts.

A COD, VQ or P3 guy could probably call home nightly depending on the det site.

Don't count on it though.

If you are counting on talking to your family once a week or more, you are seriously setting yourself up for EPIC FAIL.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
On CVN:

Go to phone card dispenser...buy phone card...go to Sailor phone...call home...repeat as desired. Calling home is less about technology than time management and time zone issues. Personally, my wife and I ended up preferring email to phone. Asynchronous comms, and you're less likely to blurt out something stupid that is misinterpreted or mismatched to the real-time emotional state of either party.

On afloat IT systems Skype packets are blocked at the firewall (typically).

Or...just abuse the POTS line late at night.

If you are counting on talking to your family once a week or more, you are seriously setting yourself up for EPIC FAIL.

So talking every night via this POTS line would be impossible I take it.

Ps. What do the acronyms POTS, CVN, COD, VQ mean? Is there a site or a thread on AW that explains all of the acronyms you guys regularly use. That would be preferable to constantly asking "what does this or that mean?".

Thanks

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Don't worry about it. You'll figure it out like the rest of us, after you get thru OCS, API, primary, advanced, the FRS, to your first fleet squadron and after workups, then you'll know how often you can call home.

I've had EP-3 IPs down here tell me their marriage fell apart because they couldn't call home very often due to the sensitive nature of whatever they were doing, and the wife didn't understand why. Other guys spoke to their wives on a fairly regular (read: once a week at the most) basis and are still happily married. More often than not, it depends on the person rather than how often you got to talk while you were away.

If you think she can't deal with you not talking to her every fucking night, tell her to grow up and find a new broad.

POTS: some phone thingy on the boat. i never figured out how to use one on summer cruise.
COD: Carrier onboard delivery.
CVN: Nuclear aircraft carrier
VQ: Very much GQ, also, electronic reconnaissance squadrons.

navy09

None
Even just being on cruise for a month at a time, it sucked not being able to talk to anyone at home. Still, email is almost the same.

As far as the acronyms, you can easily look all of those up on Google. Basically, the jist is that your access to communications will vary greatly depending on what you fly and what type of ship you're on. So don't worry about it too much, either way it's totally out of your control.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Don't worry about it. You'll figure it out like the rest of us, after you get thru OCS, API, primary, advanced, the FRS, to your first fleet squadron and after workups...

It sounds like all these steps also help build your "tolerance" for not talking to each other every day no? I wouldnt know since I'm not married, but it seems like it