• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bump fire?

FLY_USMC

pilot
Alright, I give, what's bump firing?

I assumed this was a Beretta 93.....full auto style like the G-18.

Lawman

None
Alright, I give, what's bump firing?

I assumed this was a Beretta 93.....full auto style like the G-18.

Bump firing is basically a technique where a combination of stiff fingering your trigger finger and holding the gun in a loose way that allows it to rock back from the recoil, give enough space for the trigger to reset, and run back into your trigger finger. That creates the effect of rapid automatic fire. Really its no different then slamming your trigger finger into the trigger repeatedly. Havent seen a lot of people do it with handguns but its a neat trick to do with a rifle at the range and get people to turn their heads.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Havent seen a lot of people do it with handguns but its a neat trick to do with a rifle at the range and get people to turn their heads.
And get you thrown off the range for rapid firing . . .

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I think it's due to them starting out with the P228 design and going to a machined steel slide, which is more massive.

:confused: .... isn't he talkin' about an H&K??? I.e., a P2000 ... ??? I must be missing somethin' here or you youngsters are just messin' with me.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....If its not locking with Winchester white box I would imagine youre right, not the ammo. I have had great luck with that ammo.
There's no way a modern H&K shouldn't cycle properly w/ Winchester white -- it's produced to MILSPEC, at least it was until "they" started manufacturing it in the Czeck Republic. Who knows, now -- and they now incorporate a FMJ bullet w/ a quasi-flat point instead of the old FMJ round ogive shape -- I've had occasional problems with FEEDING in older pistols with the "new & cheaper" flat(er) point bullets, but not w/ cycling/ejecting in modern pistols with the fodder WIN & FEDERAL ammo.

I'd call Travis @ H&K and see what he says before I change springs based on the ammo you're describing -- maybe even send the pistol back to them for a look-see. You should not HAVE to change springs for WIN-white or FED-red to work in a modern pistol.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, for H&K no cycling with Winchester white box is amazing to me. I'm not so sure about Sigs, but I put lots of white box rounds through my H&K .357 Sig (really hot round with some serious kick) with no feeding or lock-back problems.

Lawman

None
Also with the H&K, check the mags. Had a problem like that in another gun that was due to the magazine. Cheaper and far less time consuming fix then possibly sending your gun to H&K.

VAmookie

There was a post on here a while back where someone had used a stiff rubber band wrapped around the magazine well and trigger of an ar-15 to bump fire. Takes a little less skill... same effect

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Umm . . . the H&K comment was made in reference to the post right before it. Which mentioned the P229, which indeed does have a machined slide and lockback issues. And was derived from the P228.

Upon further research, the remedy seems to be to leave the weapon locked open between range sessions for awhile, as to "break in" the recoil spring.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... AND the state.

Idaho & Oregon --- rock & roll. :)

Washington & Hawaii --- watch out!!! :eek:
No kidding. I have yet to find a range around here that allows rapid fire. The proprietor of Greene's is known to emerge and correct those who break his rules thus. And NWSA has rules against it, though there's usually no one else there to enforce them.

My biggest issue with the whole bump firing thing is that it seems to be a horribly negligent way to shoot, especially with a pistol. Hold with a loose grip and shoot from the hip? Okay, genius, what happens when the muzzle climbs a little too much and you put one over the backstop??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Upon further research, the remedy seems to be to leave the weapon locked open between range sessions for awhile, as to "break in" the recoil spring.
Ditto --- in fact, I've been doing that with my "shooters" for years --- storing them in this condition -- and since I started this little routine I've never had a recoil spring/cycling/failure to return to battery type of problem. NOT talkin' about the collectible pieces, but that's not what we're considering --

Plus .... it seems to help make the initial cycling/round chambering a little bit easier when carrying the firearm.

And in extremis, that's always a good thing ... :)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fun Physics Fact: Springs do not wear being held under tension*. They wear from repeated use. Same reason why it's a myth that storing mags loaded will wear them out.

Also, I've bump-fired my AR on occasion. Hip method and with the rubber band. The rubber band is way easier and aimable since you can shoulder it like normal. It's fun.

*see explanation below... some exceptions