• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bump fire?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Same reason why it's a myth that storing mags loaded will wear them out....
Quite correct ... when my Dad's WW2 1911A1 Ithaca was passed down to me prior to my first deployment -- the magazines had been stoked w/ WW2 GI hardball ammo for 20+ years. The magazines and the pistol worked and functioned like they were brand new, i.e., flawlessly. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fun Physics Fact: Springs do not wear being held under tension.....
O.K. .... I "think" I get it now ... you're sayin' that locking the slides back while in storage has NOT improved functioning of any of my pistols. Not one bit; basic physics and all.

I don't "think" that's what I was sayin' .... "spring wear" ..... but if "it" was and I'm not recognizing it or I'm just senile:

Then tell me why functioning has improved since I started doing this .... ??? Same ammo -- same pistols -- same person.

Global warming, perhaps???
:)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
O.K. .... I "think" I get it now ... you're sayin' that locking the slides back while in storage has NOT improved functioning of any of my pistols. Not one bit; basic physics and all.

I don't "think" that's what I was sayin' .... "spring wear" ..... but if "it" was and I'm not recognizing it or I'm just senile:

Then tell me why functioning has improved since I started doing this .... ??? Same ammo -- same pistols -- same person.

Sorry, should have been more clear/particular. All springs take a 'set' after they've been exposed to stress initially. The more stress, the more of a set the springs takes (ie. the shorter it becomes). Fatigue can be an issue in higher capacity mags where there is minimal room for spring height when compressed, but for most applications, the manufacturer takes this set into account. Generally, in actions, the locked back position is nowhere near as compressed as the spring can go, and thus isn't going to fatigue it nearly as much as the shooting stresses it experiences.

Anecdotal evidence aside, there are a host of different views regarding care of springs, both action and mags. Everyone has their way of doing it and their reasoning. Me? I leave mags loaded all the time and have never had a spring failure or a FTF as a result of a weak spring. I prefer actions to be tighter, so they stay closed.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Fun Physics Fact: Springs do not wear being held under tension*. They wear from repeated use. Same reason why it's a myth that storing mags loaded will wear them out.

Also, I've bump-fired my AR on occasion. Hip method and with the rubber band. The rubber band is way easier and aimable since you can shoulder it like normal. It's fun.

*see explanation below... some exceptions

Does the same fact hold true with the hammer spring on an AR-15?

MasterBates

A properly designed spring should not wear or lose tension under normal temperatures.

Otherwise the valve springs in your car would go bad quickly (there are always some valves held open upon shutdown, and a car would wear out its springs just sitting there.

WILS0N

Oh jeeeez, I'll go get the beer & popcorn. If this turns into a spring-tech thread, it's gona be a long one,... with no resolution (they always are).

Oh yeah... in before someone yells "Wolff High-Silicone 10% + Power Mag Springs!" :icon_tong

WILS0N

There was a post on here a while back where someone had used a stiff rubber band wrapped around the magazine well and trigger of an ar-15 to bump fire. Takes a little less skill... same effect

Don't forget "the shoe-string trick". ;)
Ugly, but reliable if you're in the mood (and rich enough) to waste a lot of ammo fast!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fail

Don't forget "the shoe-string trick". ;)
Ugly, but reliable if you're in the mood (and rich enough) to waste a lot of ammo fast!

And a solid shot at getting a felony. The "shoe-string trick" as you call it turns the gun into a machine gun by the letter of the law. The BATF has ruled on this before, recently updated their ruling, yet upheld the combination of the string + gun. Bump firing is perfectly legal as one trigger actuation = one round. The shoe-string on a Garand job does not meet that qualification. When rigged, the bolt carrier automatically trips the trigger when it returns to battery.

Nice try. F. Terrible.

WILS0N

And a solid shot at getting a felony. The "shoe-string trick" as you call it turns the gun into a machine gun by the letter of the law. The BATF has ruled on this before, recently updated their ruling, yet upheld the combination of the string + gun. Bump firing is perfectly legal as one trigger actuation = one round. The shoe-string on a Garand job does not meet that qualification. When rigged, the bolt carrier automatically trips the trigger when it returns to battery.

Nice try. F. Terrible.

I think we're talking about two different things?

I'm talking about tying a string around your belt or a beltloop on one end - the other (noose-end) is looped around the trigger. Same effect as bumping sans the skill level of learning how to bumpfire. It's generally used for AR's only (AK's are too easy to learn how to bumpfire without any gizmos).