• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bulging Disc

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Are u qualified to tell me this? I didn’t give out any advice but thank you for your opinion.
Again. You need to stop. What would you tell a Poolee who was trying to buck up against you? You're an E-6 applicant trying to throw weight well above his class. It's inappropriate at best.

This place isn't nearly as anonymous as you might hope it to be, and this world that you want to be a part of is a lot smaller than you probably think it is. I'll leave it at this:

Best of luck kid.

BDavis11

Contributor
Again. You need to stop. What would you tell a Poolee who was trying to buck up against you? You're an E-6 applicant trying to throw weight well above his class. It's inappropriate at best.

This place isn't nearly as anonymous as you might hope it to be, and this world that you want to be a part of is a lot smaller than you probably think it is. I'll leave it at this:

Best of luck kid.
1. What do you mean “buck up”? You got all weird because I agreed with a statement and accused me of giving medical advice which was never the case. But to answer your question, if they buck up, hopefully they are mature enough to have a conversation rather than act superior.
2. There is no weight to be thrown around on a forum.
3. Anonymity has nothing to do with anything being said. You had something to say to me for agreeing that no one should “cheat the medical system”. We could of had a phone conversation about it if you wanted no rank man to man.
4.Thank You for the well wishes. I hope to meet you one day

jsnchwen

That is incorrect. I am essentially saying exactly what my post says. Nothing more, nothing less. If you have been diagnosed with a bulging disc, which is only possible through imaging, then you won't fly.

If you are not diagnosed, then you may fly.

If you are not diagnosed (even if you have never had reason to seek diagnosis or treatment,) then you very well may still have a bulging disc, or two, or multiple, or a whole host of other back issues. The human spine is not designed to support bipedalism.

If you are a human being over the age of 26 then there is a strong chance you have "undiagnosed" back issues. There is no reliable way to treat back issues. There is no reliable way to determine the cause of back pain. There are those with spines in what appears to be perfect condition who have debilitating back pain. There are also those with considerably damaged spines (according to MRI) who are fully functional. The "science" on back injuries is developing. This is another "no cure for the common cold" situation. The cutting-edge research on this issue is neither definitive nor particularly effective.

I wouldn't recommend hiding an injury from the Navy. If you are in unbearable pain, I suggest you seek medical attention.
Hi - I was looking through the threads regarding herniated/bulging discs and saw this one; I also looked through your other responses and it looks like you've done all your physicals.

Do you actually have a herniated/bulging disc, and were you able to get a waiver?

Thanks,

Random8145

But there is a reason for that.

Aviation, and many jobs within the military, are going to wreck your back as is. So many folks come out of the military with spinal damage in some way or another.

Going into the military with a bad back is not good for the individual or the service.
Just curious, but how does aviation wreck your back?

robav8r

None
Contributor
*Sigh* Dude, come on. Flying (sitting - worst thing for your lower back) for hours and hours and hours in tactical aircraft (rigid wing, not flex wing), wearing heavy survival vest and life preserver assemblies, being bounced around in bad weather, sleeping in bad beds/racks/cruise boxes, the list goes on, and on, and on . . . .

Need more?

Random8145

*Sigh* Dude, come on. Flying (sitting - worst thing for your lower back) for hours and hours and hours in tactical aircraft (rigid wing, not flex wing), wearing heavy survival vest and life preserver assemblies, being bounced around in bad weather, sleeping in bad beds/racks/cruise boxes, the list goes on, and on, and on . . . .

Need more?
Well I actually didn't know that sitting is terrible for the lower back. I know that sitting while slouched is bad for the back, but regular sitting I did not. I also didn't know about rigid versus flexed wing aircraft. I wasn't thinking about the heavy survival vest and other equipment but even if I had, I didn't realize wearing those while sitting does stress on the back. I didn't think at all about being bounced around in bad weather or sleeping in bad beds/racks/cruise boxes.

Now if you said going into the infantry is bad for the back, I fully understand that.

croakerfish

pilot
Whole-body vibration in a cramped seated posture. Promotes tightness and weakness in the core muscles and stiffness in the upper spine, leading to neck pain and lowered ROM in jet pilots and “helo hunch” in the plebeians.

Random8145

One thing I do know is that a great way to prevent back injuries from occurring is to do some good back and core strengthening, like pullups, rows, leg lifts, etc...the back to a good degree is the frame upon which the rest of your upper-body musculature rests. And it is naturally far too weak in comparison to what it needs to be.

aprilmarikko

Hi - I was looking through the threads regarding herniated/bulging discs and saw this one; I also looked through your other responses and it looks like you've done all your physicals.

Do you actually have a herniated/bulging disc, and were you able to get a waiver?

Thanks,

I suspected I might have one. It was never confirmed via MRI, which is the only way to diagnose those. So, FYI. I may or may not have had one. Many people have them and are symptom free.

I was upfront about back pain on my paperwork. Got flagged by the med board people. They wanted more info. Ended up getting a full evaluation from a sports physical therapist in the area, reputable guy with a PHD—he had me do exercises like push-ups, carrying heavy objects, running, and checked my range of motion. No difficulties. I run every day and am in OK shape. They asked me if I had pain, and I said no. I felt fine.

He wrote all of this into a report with all the medical jargon and I sent a copy to the board. I’m not sure if I got a waiver or what all that was as my recruiter was the middleman…..but I guess they liked that because I was good there forth.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
One thing I do know is that a great way to prevent back injuries from occurring is to do some good back and core strengthening, like pullups, rows, leg lifts, etc...the back to a good degree is the frame upon which the rest of your upper-body musculature rests. And it is naturally far too weak in comparison to what it needs to be.

You're not saying anything that everyone hasn't heard since day one (so please stop). Yet we still have the problems. Core exercises can help, but... Well... On that one defensive BFM flight, that one set that you really didn't prep for the load up as your body was twisted up looking over your shoulder trying not to get clubbed by your lead like the baby seal you are, that pop you felt in your lower back- that was permanent. So now you're fighting a delay over time.
Same for helo dudes.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
For me, I had about 3,000 helo hours, of which 1,000-ish was wearing night vision goggles. Between the survival vest pulling me forward for hours, the torque on my neck from nvgs and helmet, and the vibration itself, I’ve got multiple discs with diagnosed arthritis in my back and neck. Regardless of your fitness level, military aviation is not easy on your back.

Last edited:

Random8145

For me, I had about 3,000 helo hours, of which 1,000-ish was wearing night vision goggles. Between the survival vest pulling me forward for hours, the torque on my neck from nvgs and helmet, and the vibration itself, I’ve got multiple discs with diagnosed arthritis in my back and neck. Regardless of your fitness level, military aviation is not easy on your back.
I see, I honestly had no idea you guys (and gals) get banged around so much in those aircraft.