• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bulging Disc

aprilmarikko

For anyone finding this by search, Bulging Discs are CD (Considered Disqualifying) and WNR (Waiver Not Recommended).

Assuming you are currently a civilian:

Herniated Discs are CD, WNR.

Spondylitis, Spondylolisthesis, and Spondylosis are all CD, WNR.

Sciatica is CD, WNR.

A documented history of any of these conditions is disqualifying, even if asymptomatic.

Lower back pain is a no-go for aviation. If you have an MRI/X-Ray demonstrating any of these conditions you will not get a waiver. Avoid imaging (MRI) for lower back pain if you have aviation ambitions. Unless you want surgery, the recovery procedure is the same: rest, posture adjustment, and core strengthening.

Regardless, many of the findings from MRI's are incidental and cause no symptoms. A good chunk of the human population would uncover a disqualifying back condition if subjected to an MRI. You can get physical therapy without a diagnosis. Take the time to heal and get to it.

If the Navy has already invested money in training you, you may be able to get a waiver for any of these conditions.

This information from the NAMI guide. Section 13: Orthopedics.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Lower back pain is a no-go for aviation. If you have an MRI/X-Ray demonstrating any of these conditions you will not get a waiver. Avoid imaging (MRI) for lower back pain if you have aviation ambitions. Unless you want surgery, the recovery procedure is the same: rest, posture adjustment, and core strengthening.

Regardless, many of the findings from MRI's are incidental and cause no symptoms. A good chunk of the human population would uncover a disqualifying back condition if subjected to an MRI. You can get physical therapy without a diagnosis. Take the time to heal and get to it.

If the Navy has already invested money in training you, you may be able to get a waiver for any of these conditions.

These are your words and you're not qualified to make these statements.

exNavyOffRec

They will find the issue during the physical, we had a guy that was fine at MEPS, went to OCS and during the physical there the doc noticed something odd, it was a minor bulging disc and he was PDQ and sent home.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Bulging disc for our candidate while minor was a PDQ situation from being in the USN, not just aviation.

But there is a reason for that.

Aviation, and many jobs within the military, are going to wreck your back as is. So many folks come out of the military with spinal damage in some way or another.

Going into the military with a bad back is not good for the individual or the service.

BDavis11

Contributor
But there is a reason for that.

Aviation, and many jobs within the military, are going to wreck your back as is. So many folks come out of the military with spinal damage in some way or another.

Going into the military with a bad back is not good for the individual or the service.
Pretty sure that is the point he is trying to make since there is some "don't disclose your bad back just go to the chiropractor and deal with it if you want to fly" statements going on.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Pretty sure that is the point he is trying to make since there is some "don't disclose your bad back just go to the chiropractor and deal with it if you want to fly" statements going on.

So you're qualified to speak on this then?

BDavis11

Contributor
So you're qualified to speak on this then?
You sound like you're lost in the sauce. So I will clarify for you... What ExNAvy was stating is an example of his former candidate that had a minor issue and eventually didn't make the cut. Just a simple example. The overall consensus here is DON"T HIDE BACK ISSUES. NAMI WILL DETERMINE IF YOU ARE PQ OR NOT. EXNAvy clearly knows there is a reason for bulging discs being minor in some cases but still a PDQ event. So yes I AM qualified to state that as its a simple reading comprehension issue. I didn't make a medical statement. But you got it for sure. It is okay to say you misinterpreted what he was saying. But you went the ego route.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You sound like you're lost in the sauce. So I will clarify for you... What ExNAvy was stating is an example of his former candidate that had a minor issue and eventually didn't make the cut. Just a simple example. The overall consensus here is DON"T HIDE BACK ISSUES. NAMI WILL DETERMINE IF YOU ARE PQ OR NOT. EXNAvy clearly knows there is a reason for bulging discs being minor in some cases but still a PDQ event. So yes I AM qualified to state that as its a simple reading comprehension issue. I didn't make a medical statement. But you got it for sure. It is okay to say you misinterpreted what he was saying. But you went the ego route.

You need to stop.

aprilmarikko

These are your words and you're not qualified to make these statements.
True. I'm not qualified for much of anything. And it doesn't matter to me because I don't make a living off of or get a kick out of giving people advice. I can only pass on what I know to be true.