• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bulging Disc

aprilmarikko

Not only that, but essentially OP is telling folks to ride out the pain instead of seeing a medical professional and getting evaluated / treated.
That is incorrect. I am essentially saying exactly what my post says. Nothing more, nothing less. If you have been diagnosed with a bulging disc, which is only possible through imaging, then you won't fly.

If you are not diagnosed, then you may fly.

If you are not diagnosed (even if you have never had reason to seek diagnosis or treatment,) then you very well may still have a bulging disc, or two, or multiple, or a whole host of other back issues. The human spine is not designed to support bipedalism.

If you are a human being over the age of 26 then there is a strong chance you have "undiagnosed" back issues. There is no reliable way to treat back issues. There is no reliable way to determine the cause of back pain. There are those with spines in what appears to be perfect condition who have debilitating back pain. There are also those with considerably damaged spines (according to MRI) who are fully functional. The "science" on back injuries is developing. This is another "no cure for the common cold" situation. The cutting-edge research on this issue is neither definitive nor particularly effective.

I wouldn't recommend hiding an injury from the Navy. If you are in unbearable pain, I suggest you seek medical attention.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
I’m kind of in line with the OP’s line of thinking. Any more, I’d be wary of documenting anything, lest you spend 12 months trying to get ahold of a doctor from a closed practice to document a misdiagnosed case of asthma from 20 years ago.

DON"T HIDE BACK ISSUES. NAMI WILL DETERMINE IF YOU ARE PQ OR NOT.
But also don’t do their job for them. You are not a doctor.
There are also those with considerably damaged spines (according to MRI) who are fully functional.
That was me.

Bad back-wise, in the reserves before I deployed I went to see a civilian doc for my back to document its state so when I came back my civilian healthcare couldn’t claim I injured it down range while mil care would argue a pre-existing condition. The x-ray was a shitshow of spondylitis, vacuum discs, weirdly curved spine, etc. Up to that point, I just had a” bad back “ and had treated it with physical therapy and just worked through with no imaging. Made it through Ft Jackson wearing body armor for 3 weeks, and 12 month deployment. Good times!

Interestingly, it turns out the best thing for my back was rocking around ft Jackson with the armor and a backpack, carrying the weapon. Been improving ever since.

I remember our squadron CO, who had a wing top hook patch from his nugget cruise, and too many others to count, and retired as an O6 out of some important job, continually battled with some sinus thing. Carried around a perpetual box of Kleenex and some emergency spray. I guarantee he was “tactically honest” on his original application.

BDavis11

Contributor
I’m kind of in line with the OP’s line of thinking. Any more, I’d be wary of documenting anything, lest you spend 12 months trying to get ahold of a doctor from a closed practice to document a misdiagnosed case of asthma from 20 years ago.

But also don’t do their job for them. You are not a doctor.

That was me.

Bad back-wise, in the reserves before I deployed I went to see a civilian doc for my back to document its state so when I came back my civilian healthcare couldn’t claim I injured it down range while mil care would argue a pre-existing condition. The x-ray was a shitshow of spondylitis, vacuum discs, weirdly curved spine, etc. Up to that point, I just had a” bad back “ and had treated it with physical therapy and just worked through with no imaging. Made it through Ft Jackson wearing body armor for 3 weeks, and 12 month deployment. Good times!

Interestingly, it turns out the best thing for my back was rocking around ft Jackson with the armor and a backpack, carrying the weapon. Been improving ever since.

I remember our squadron CO, who had a wing top hook patch from his nugget cruise, and too many others to count, and retired as an O6 out of some important job, continually battled with some sinus thing. Carried around a perpetual box of Kleenex and some emergency spray. I guarantee he was “tactically honest” on his original application.
Never said I was a doctor nor did I give doctoral direction. By not hiding an underlying issue isn’t “doing their job for them”.

robav8r

None
Contributor
When I was Rescue Swimmer, I had a bulging disc at L4/L5, and a herniated disc at L5/S1. I had a Diskectomy in 1990, following which, I was selected for LDO and assigned to an ejection seat aircraft. Yeah, yeah, I know, it was a long time ago and the "Science" has probably changed. But i've been asymptomatic (for the DIskectomy), ever since. YMMV . . . .

taxi1

pilot
Never said I was a doctor nor did I give doctoral direction. By not hiding an underlying issue isn’t “doing their job for them”.
I know what you are saying, but an anecdote from the other extreme. In AOCS, one of the guys going through was like, "Hmmm, maybe I did have a black tarry stool back in high school once" and checked the block. He had a barium enema every day for a week, and he swears that they weren't actually X-raying anything, they were just punishing him for being stupid. :)

BDavis11

Contributor
I know what you are saying, but an anecdote from the other extreme. In AOCS, one of the guys going through was like, "Hmmm, maybe I did have a black tarry stool back in high school once" and checked the block. He had a barium enema every day for a week, and he swears that they weren't actually X-raying anything, they were just punishing him for being stupid. :)
Lol that’s wild. I definitely see your point though. I feel like that allows people to weed themselves out at that point

exNavyOffRec

You sound like you're lost in the sauce. So I will clarify for you... What ExNAvy was stating is an example of his former candidate that had a minor issue and eventually didn't make the cut. Just a simple example. The overall consensus here is DON"T HIDE BACK ISSUES. NAMI WILL DETERMINE IF YOU ARE PQ OR NOT. EXNAvy clearly knows there is a reason for bulging discs being minor in some cases but still a PDQ event. So yes I AM qualified to state that as its a simple reading comprehension issue. I didn't make a medical statement. But you got it for sure. It is okay to say you misinterpreted what he was saying. But you went the ego route.
My point is even if minor it will be found out, better to disclose and not be accepted than try to get by and really cause physical injuries down the road, in the person that we had the candidate believes it happened between MEPS and OCS, very physically active and would get minor bumps and bruises playing sports, none caused concern for him to see a doc but evidently one event was.

BDavis11

Contributor
My point is even if minor it will be found out, better to disclose and not be accepted than try to get by and really cause physical injuries down the road, in the person that we had the candidate believes it happened between MEPS and OCS, very physically active and would get minor bumps and bruises playing sports, none caused concern for him to see a doc but evidently one event was.
Exactly. I concur. But apparently I need a qualification for that ?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I was told titanium. Still have constant neuropathy from my hip down my left leg to my toes - ranging from burning, tingling, etc. to just numbness - sometimes worse but always there. I've learned to live with it. Was on drugs for several years but was able to wean myself off. After the first of my 5 surgeries while I was in recovery, the neurosurgeon told my wife that the nerves exiting my spinal column were flat like ribbons vice round like noodles due to the compression. I was a runner but the neurosurgeon told me my running days were over. Now I just walk a lot.