• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brown shoes in ROTC?

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
hmmm I was going to ask this question having been in aviation for a few years, guess I'll have to live to black shoes.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
yup.. That's what I figured. I was just seeing what other schools have done or are doing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
IIRC @ my old NROTC unit, we were basically banned from wearing anything else (while in khaki mode) other than the black eisenhower or a standard peacoat. Never saw anyone on the battalion side wear browns.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
the black eisenhower or a standard peacoat

You know... and I am fully aware about the incoming flak... but I do like the small uniform variations (within reason), namely the khaki combo cover. That, with the peacoat... it might not represent an aviation hopeful, but if you have to wear khakis all the time - make them look good!

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
You know... and I am fully aware about the incoming flak... but I do like the small uniform variations (within reason), namely the khaki combo cover. That, with the peacoat... it might not represent an aviation hopeful, but if you have to wear khakis all the time - make them look good!

I was thinking of wearing that too. haha damn they keep throwing all the uniform items i want out

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think the garrison cap looks better with wash or service khaki, but that's just me.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
About the only day we could get away with wearing brown shoes was the last drill day for guys who were about to commission and head to Pensacola, there wasn't much that could be done to you

. If I remember correctly, it was against our battalion regs to wear anything but the standard black shoes. We did have a couple guys who were former aircrew types, navy and marine, that were allowed to wear their leather flight jackets, but that's kind of a different story.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Can't say I like the Khaki Combo cover too much (except with Service Dress Khakis) but the Reefer/Peacoat is pretty damn comfortable and does a good job of stopping the frigid winds!

P3 F0

None
Yeah, sorry but if you wear browns in NROTC you are a presumptious tool. No other way to cut it, plus they will more than likely tell you to take them off anyways. You can wear them soon enough anyways....you'll be done in 3 yrs after all
This. I'm a pretty easy-going guy, and I've only stopped maybe a handful of folks in my 14 years for (egregious) not saluting or being disrespectful. I'd probably stop a midn in brown shoes just because of the attitude. Not to jack him up, but just to give him shit and let him know he's lower than dirt by wearing them.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If I remember correctly, it was against our battalion regs to wear anything but the standard black shoes. We did have a couple guys who were former aircrew types, navy and marine, that were allowed to wear their leather flight jackets, but that's kind of a different story.

That is correct as I recall as well. I think I know who you are talking about here, and he's one of the few who could have probably gotten away with the jacket.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Two OC's at my unit are wearing brown shoes and no one has said anything to them. More than likely no one has noticed either. I'm wearing my pair on my first day back to work after commissioning, but not as an OC.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
You rate them the day you get commissioned with a 1390 or 1370 designator. Until then I would not wear them.

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Like was said earlier in this thread... Don't attract any unwanted attention. Do your time and wear brown once you get to p'cola..