• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brown shoes in ROTC?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Okay.. All or this talk about brown shoes has made me want to wear mine NOW! (I've decided I've worn black shoes for almost 10yrs, time for a switch and embrace my soon to be community) ;)

I've looked all throughout the ROD and nowhere does it mention anything about them or have to be "uniform" (i.e. same as everyone). The one thing it does mention is that it references the US Naval Uniform Regs for proper wear and maintenance of uniforms. I looked into the regs and they stated under service khaki that it is optional.

So, my question is, are you now, or have you ever been to a NROTC unit where brown shoes were either allowed or perhaps even encouraged for those who are either pre-selected aviation or for MIDN have selected aviation.

Thanks...

OC Scrub...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it's in the Uniform Regs as OPTIONAL, the you are authorized to wear them. I'd double check with the NROTC unit staff to ensure they have no heartache with you wearing them.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Bevo16

pilot
As an OC. No.

I bought mine the day I put my bars on. I didn't wear them until I got to API.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
A friend and I wore ours our last week as mids. Our CO (a very unconventional SWO) would have thought it pretty hilarious but he didn't notice, even when we wore them in his ethics class.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
A couple of us hinted about that when we arrived at the unit about 2 years ago and it was shot down very quickly. And as "team oriented" as the JU ROTC is, I would expect it to get shot down again just as quick.

EM1toNFO

None
A couple of us hinted about that when we arrived at the unit about 2 years ago and it was shot down very quickly. And as "team oriented" as the JU ROTC is, I would expect it to get shot down again just as quick.

Same skipper then, as now? Then okay, but he is a S-3 aviator. I'll still hold out for some slight chance...

mwardakpsi

Get money, get paid!!!
None
I would cooperate to graduate and just blend in. No sense in putting yourself out there like that to some SWO who might take it the wrong way.

Plenty of time for brown once you get orders to Pensacola.

Just my take anyway...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
In an unit as anal as mine was, i'd say no. an OC got reamed up one side and down the other for wearing his khaki wheel cover by our MOI for not being uniform. check the command climate and see how it goes over.

MasterBates

There were 2 OCs wearing brown shoes at the CPO exam this morning. (I was proctoring. Oh joy)

I'm guessing they were ODU.

EM1toNFO

None
There were 2 OCs wearing brown shoes at the CPO exam this morning. (I was proctoring. Oh joy)

I'm guessing they were ODU.

Thanks for that info... I'll keep it in the back of my mind while attempting to run it up the chain.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
no, no, no...
Dude, being devisive, even with some sort of aviation contract will make you look like a really big BITCH (in ROTC, Flight School etc...). Regardless of whatever smoke was blown up your ass (bout mustang-dom), when you step into the halls in the cradle of Naval Aviation, you are no better, no more skilled and no more deserving of respect as a sub-sub-sub-conian than any other friggin butter bar there. When you run your shop, if you make it through the marathon of flight training (and as a Nuke ET I think you should do well), your prior E time may pay dividends in leadership skills.

From 4.5 years with the future torch-carriers in TRACOM, ditch the percieved "TED-tude". IP's will pick up on it right the f**k away, you will be likely gougeless and drink your beer alone (or with the other mustang of 200 there). Tough love bro, but be invisible!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, sorry but if you wear browns in NROTC you are a presumptious tool. No other way to cut it, plus they will more than likely tell you to take them off anyways. You can wear them soon enough anyways....you'll be done in 3 yrs after all

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Okay.. All or this talk about brown shoes has made me want to wear mine NOW! (I've decided I've worn black shoes for almost 10yrs, time for a switch and embrace my soon to be community) ;)

I've looked all throughout the ROD and nowhere does it mention anything about them or have to be "uniform" (i.e. same as everyone). The one thing it does mention is that it references the US Naval Uniform Regs for proper wear and maintenance of uniforms. I looked into the regs and they stated under service khaki that it is optional.

So, my question is, are you now, or have you ever been to a NROTC unit where brown shoes were either allowed or perhaps even encouraged for those who are either pre-selected aviation or for MIDN have selected aviation.

Thanks...

OC Scrub...

If you were EM1(SW/AW)NUKE you could consider it. No. Don't do it until you're either winged or TOLD to do it. You're a senior enlisted dood, you'll be an example to multiple snot-nose kids like me (or Midn 4/c me)...teach them some things are even better when they are earned.

Bevo16

pilot
From 4.5 years with the future torch-carriers in TRACOM, ditch the percieved "TED-tude". IP's will pick up on it right the f**k away, you will be likely gougeless and drink your beer alone (or with the other mustang of 200 there). Tough love bro, but be invisible!

Agree 100%. The only guy from my class in primary who did not make it was a prior P-3 aircrewman who thought he knew everything. He would get in debates with instructors about every damn thing. In the end, he lost.