• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Brown shoes in ROTC?

peachesnel

I'm with everyone else here- leave the brown shoes at home while you're in ROTC. As for waiting until you get winged or hit your first squadrom for brown shoes... that's kinda crap nowadays. The acceptable brown showes/boots/leather jackets items have changed. There is now a sign in flight management in the API build that reads" SNA's and SNFO's- stop being a SWO and go buy your brown shoes! and wear them!" That was posted by a LT so take from it what you will. None of us wear brown boots. Bad luck and too much shit to take- i want good grades. The leather jacket is a different beast. Most people (students and IP's) tell us not to wear them because we'll get a lot of crap. Not true. Recently green summer flying jackets (the only jacket you will be issued) was on backorder until April 2009. We asked our skipper what to do about 25 degree weather and his rely was " wear the damn leather jacket, if anyone gives you shit tell them I said 'F**k you'." So take people's advice with a grain of sand and consider where they are coming from. I haven't gotten any crap for wearing brown shoes or my leather jacket (I did put the leather away when I got the green jacket). People know if you're trying to be a idiot.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
He/she probably meant that they have all the leather jackets on back-order. I heard my API class was one of the last groups to get them last spring.

peachesnel

The opposite happened to us. The issued the leather jackets but no green jacket and everyone told us not to wear leather. When it got cold most of us said "F**k it, wear the leather cause it's warm." I got a little shit from a civilian instructor running the CPT's at Whiting but nobody else said anything. Even with our CO's blessing it still took 35 degrees for me to wear that thing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I got a little crap from a couple civilian instructors in the Corpus sims from time to time for wearing a pool helmet (since it had graphics taped on it). Maybe now that I am headed to advanced they will finally give me a helmet....

MasterBates

Be happy if you get Koch fittings.

I was back up from my 7 month NOMI debacle before I had my own torso harness (lack of fittings was the issue).

Nothin says ouch like repeated harness drops in rental gear that don't fit right.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Don't wear them until commissioned. Next thing you know the Sea Cadets are going to wear brown shoes because they saw the Discovery special CV At Sea special. Definitely listen to MakeVapes advice on not being a TED. When you are an officer, you need to associate with the college boys.