• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breakdown of "The Drama"

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Websan - thanks for the backstory. Was wondering WTF was going on there. Agree with your point of view - I would view it the same way in your shoes. Speaking of silly youtube videos:

cindy

As a professional "lurker" I too find the drama too much to resist. Yes, as someone said previously, it is similar to a gaggle of teeny boppers in heated arguments over identical dresses worn by two of its members. Like most drama, the truth is to be found somewhere in the middle, the drama, Rashomon comes to mind. Seems to me that if you have two groups with their own very different ideas it would seem entirely logical to have two websites. Why not encourage that? Why is this such a problem? Is there money involved? As far as "raiding" members from AW by the opposition, do the members represent an "asset" to AW?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Seems to me that if you have two groups with their own very different ideas it would seem entirely logical to have two websites. Why not encourage that? Why is this such a problem? Is there money involved? As far as "raiding" members from AW by the opposition, do the members represent an "asset" to AW?

No one is stopping anyone from making another site. However, the "raiding" in a position of authority on AW is a conflict of interest. That it was done with the mod status without the webmaster's knowledge is somewhat unethical. It didn't need to be done that way at all and was rather deceptive. This is me wearing my "IT guy" hat, not my combo cover, but neither hat agrees with how it was done.

As far as "assets", in a way, yes. But given the "other site's" objectives, it really doesn't apply here the way I'm assuming you mean.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
As a professional "lurker" I too find the drama too much to resist. Yes, as someone said previously, it is similar to a gaggle of teeny boppers in heated arguments over identical dresses worn by two of its members. Like most drama, the truth is to be found somewhere in the middle, the drama, Rashomon comes to mind. Seems to me that if you have two groups with their own very different ideas it would seem entirely logical to have two websites. Why not encourage that? Why is this such a problem? Is there money involved? As far as "raiding" members from AW by the opposition, do the members represent an "asset" to AW?

No one is stopping anyone from making another site. However, the "raiding" in a position of authority on AW is a conflict of interest. That it was done with the mod status without the webmaster's knowledge is somewhat unethical. It didn't need to be done that way at all and was rather deceptive. This is me wearing my "IT guy" hat, not my combo cover, but neither hat agrees with how it was done.

Here's my understanding.. Absolutely you would consider any winged aviator an 'asset' to the the board. If people know that this is a place to come and find information that is credible vice going to military.com or something then you could consider them an asset. However, nothing here is owned by AW save the domain name and I'm sure there is some money invested into the program software and bandwidth usage. This money can easily be covered by the ads that the regular person will see on this website. As far as the conflict of interest, maybe if people were paid I could agree with you.

I don't know how many hits this website gets a day, but I'd be willing to bet that it's enough to cover the costs and then some. I've never heard any numbers but the reason that this place gets what it gets is due to the credibility brought through the large number of actual credible sources.

BLOB: More hits = more money, more hits will come based on the validity, and therefore each winged aviator is an asset. However, given there isn't a retainer for anything I don't see how you have a 'conflict of interest.'

My opinion, not trying to sea lawyer shit here.

BackOrdered

Contributor
BLOB: More hits = more money, more hits will come based on the validity, and therefore each winged aviator is an asset. However, given there isn't a retainer for anything I don't see how you have a 'conflict of interest.'

My opinion, not trying to sea lawyer shit here.

I am harkening back to my digital-ethics/greyhat course way back when, so I may have gone senile after half a decade commissioned and removed from formal IT training.

However, using a user status with privileged permissions to do things that the webmaster is unaware of causes troubles. Honestly, I think in the spirit of their purpose it was fine to recruit like-minded AWs, but why not tell the webmaster up front? Why the coup? Again, this is my IT hat speaking here.

I'm not accusing anyone specifically, but when you do things like that, it leave the reason open to creative interpretation, for better or worse.

jmcquate

Contributor
The anonymous nature of the internet will turn us all into 14 year olds. The civility of face to face discourse is a declining skill. This, combined with the slow rot of PC bullshit in our most cherished institutions, in my opinion, was the cause of this episode. Those of us, who are a little older and have more responsibilities in life, tend to tow the line with the PC bullshit because we want to stay employed and employable. I work for the Federal Government and I’m always mindful of what say or write, both at work and online. Some of the younger folks here (well maybe not anymore) want to fight a battle that is already lost. Hopefully they won’t suffer the devastating career results of not conforming to the relatively new societal taboos. I know this post somewhat contradicts itself, but I think it had to be said.

brownshoe

Contributor
The anonymous nature of the internet will turn us all into 14 year olds. The civility of face to face discourse is a declining skill. This, combined with the slow rot of PC bullshit in our most cherished institutions, in my opinion, was the cause of this episode. Those of us, who are a little older and have more responsibilities in life, tend to tow the line with the PC bullshit because we want to stay employed and employable. I work for the Federal Government and I’m always mindful of what say or write, both at work and online. Some of the younger folks here (well maybe not anymore) want to fight a battle that is already lost. Hopefully they won’t suffer the devastating career results of not conforming to the relatively new societal taboos. I know this post somewhat contradicts itself, but I think it had to be said.
I respect your post. Thanks for the PM earlier, I'll (we'll) see you soon for a meal.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I will be honest...it has been completely boring here since the departure of the majority of the dissenting opinion folks. When I want head nodding and the company line, I have two department head meetings a week to take care of that. I come here for camaraderie, good discussions, and humor. Those things seem to all be gone. I admire what this site does and what it continues to do for the kids, but unless we somehow get those members back or someone fills in to take that position, I think this is the beginning of the end for the "virtual ready room" aspect of AW.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Unfortunately, I concur... I think a serious problem develops when people start believing the words on their FITREPs, selection and screen board outcomes, etc. When a gonna be SES chastised me for not taking my rank and accomplishments seriously, I had to inform him that I am the Navy's "better" version of what is left over... that there are better leaders, pilots, officers and people in general at FEDEX, Southwest, Delta and other industries. Some folks fly continuously with "stupid" boxed.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sadly, just due to prying eyes, the private side of the house has always been where real discussions happen. For some reason, the political, and lately, the career discussions have gotten a bit out of hand.

Part of what makes this place great is every guy/gal with wings under their name earned them, but with that some anonymity is lost. Hell, I probably wouldn't have wings if it weren't for this site and some of the people who've now chosen to leave. For a guy on the street, finding out info on OCS/ASTB/API/Primary/Pipeline/etc is nearly impossible. I found out my OCS board results were out on here before my recruiter knew. I also sent guys like A4s and HeyJoe PMs thanking them for spending time on here bullshitting so an FNG off the street could have an idea of what they're getting into. People come and go, and I'm sure a new group of JOs and personalities will wash over this place, just like a real Ready Room.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
My favorite part of the drama is when the O-4 reservist old dudes tried to tell us how this site is a shell of its former self and JOPA IS DEAD.

Our whole airwing still gets hammered at functions, the O Club is alive and well, our girls tell nastier jokes than I could ever come up with, I fly more VFR than IFR in a navy fighter, we shit on dirty hinges on the reg, we go to key west for "training" all the time, we hang out in JOPA with our ballsacks out...

Naval Aviation is not dead. It's still the best deal going. As long as you don't nuke it.

That must be nice.